3.8/520/MD/Asian school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmmonster_jl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone it’s my first time posting here, and I’d like some suggestions on my school list.
I’m aware that my EC’s quite low in clinical side since I didn’t consider MD until junior year, that’s why I don’t know if the list is appropriate.
Also transcript going in late because me dumb. So expecting to submit full primaries quite late according to threads I’ve read (tbh I’ve seen too many different opinions on what defines “late” and how late submissions will impact the application so I’m confused and stressed af now).
Not really considering re-applying next cycle so I would really want to get in 1 school if possible.
Haven’t really looked into DO programs but please do suggest DO schools if you think I might have a chance.
Any input is appreciated! Thank you ahead!
  1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.8/3.84 biochem/neuro
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 520(131/127/131/131)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): MD
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: public school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 180h pharmacy volunteer (does this belong here?), 40h volunteer clinic (clinic was active twice a month so the low hour and stopped during COVID), ~150h EMT (this one kinda tricky cuz I didn’t finish the course for personal reasons and thus only did things as a trainee so I don’t know if it really counts tbh), was going to do hospice volunteer but at the time for orientation COVID hit hard.. yay
  7. Research experience and productivity: 3 1/2 years plus two paid summers in two different labs, each with posters only (~1500h). Gap years now, doing nih irta/crta and also only 1 poster for now (~4000h at matriculation)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 30h in primary care, some online shadowing but don’t know if it counts
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~40h in city farm, ~100h in animal shelter, ~20h in COVID testing kit making
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): ~1000h part-time job tutor at a tutoring center during college, event coordinator in a club
  11. Relevant honors or awards: department scholarship, an award in research
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I don’t know if it would impact my application negatively but I’m in FAP so low family income, and because of that I want to limit my number of school list as low as possible to save money haha.
  13. My current school list: Hopkins, Case western, Mayo, Pitts, Sinai, Maryland, Miami, Wake forest, Ohio state, Wayne, Drexel, Jefferson, Cincinnati, Iowa, Connecticut, Illinois

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You say you are applying late but when are you planning to submit your application ?
I have just submitted the transcript request and haven’t heard back. Assuming my school will process the request soon, I’m looking at submitting the full primary in mid-late July as the process time will take up to 25 days for paper transcript according to AAMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Eastern Virginia
U Virginia
Duke
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Northwestern
Western Michigan
Iowa
Illinois
Mayo
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Eastern Virginia
U Virginia
Duke
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Northwestern
Western Michigan
Iowa
Illinois
Mayo
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
Thank you for the suggestions! So should I be worried too much about the late primary submission date? Would that impact which schools I choose to apply to? Sorry if I’m being paranoid but now this is really giving me some anxiety.

Thank you for the suggestions! So should I be worried too much about the late primary submission date? Would that impact which schools I choose to apply to? Sorry if I’m being paranoid but now this is really giving me some anxiety.
As long as you apply by late July you are not late. Submit your secondaries as soon as possible and no later than August.