This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stunzeed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think your school list is okay, though a bit top-heavy (which is okay since you just apply to more schools overall)

I recommend diversifying your clinical experience and doing something like hospice (and stopping EMT if needed, since you've got plenty of that already). Also, I'd beef up your non-clinical volunteering with something like homeless shelter volunteering or soup kitchen. Tutoring and teaching are great, but almost every med applicant has this. And of course, try to shadow at least 40-50+ hrs total.

I would recommend getting a clinical research position since it has a higher chance of publication than basic science. It would be wisest to take 2 years off to commit to a research position, since there isn't much you'll be able to change about your app between now and next cycle.

Good luck!

What's your complete date for your schools? A general range is fine if you don't know the specifics.

Members don't see this ad :)
85% complete late August, 15% first few weeks of Sept.
I think it'll be interesting to hear the thoughts of Faha and Goro but anecdotally, I personally have a good number of IIs and all of them with 2 exceptions are from July complete dates. I'm not saying that August and September is late but possible that it is disadvantaging you. Some on your list are still sending IIs to July/early August completes right now.

I think it'll be interesting to hear the thoughts of Faha and Goro but anecdotally, I personally have a good number of IIs and all of them with 2 exceptions are from July complete dates. I'm not saying that August and September is late but possible that it is disadvantaging you. Some on your list are still sending IIs to July/early August completes right now.
That's interesting to hear. Of course I still have hopes for this cycle, but given it's almost the new year, I wanted to formulate a plan of action for a reapplication.

Kind of bizarre that you have no interview invites honestly, you have a great application.

Things to possibly work on should you reapply would be some clinical/basic science research for some of those research heavy schools, as I'm not sure what financial research really entails in your situation. And maybe more shadowing? But even then you have lots of clinical experience already. Americorp already sounds like a great addition to the app.

Honestly I don't know why you don't have any interviews with your really high stats, that list, and vetted letters/personal statement. Hopefully some come your way soon!

I think this is a situation where high stat applicants can be yield protected at low and mid-tier schools. And the schools where your stats are highly competitive tend to be T20 that also like to see clinical/basic science research, and lots of it. I suspect the lack of multi-year clinical/basic science research maybe be holding you back at these schools. Your volunteer hours are decent but not overwhelming (unless Americorps is complete) and so that also could be holding you back at the low/mid tiers that like to see lots of hours (in addition to yield protection with that insane 521 MCAT). I would hit the research hard and you'll have lots of interest.

Reactions: 1 users
Kind of bizarre that you have no interview invites honestly, you have a great application.

Things to possibly work on should you reapply would be some clinical/basic science research for some of those research heavy schools, as I'm not sure what financial research really entails in your situation. And maybe more shadowing? But even then you have lots of clinical experience already. Americorp already sounds like a great addition to the app.

Honestly I don't know why you don't have any interviews with your really high stats, that list, and vetted letters/personal statement. Hopefully some come your way soon!
Thanks for the comment! From what people have said I'm definitely leaning towards getting a research job and more shadowing.
I think this is a situation where high stat applicants can be yield protected at low and mid-tier schools. And the schools where your stats are highly competitive tend to be T20 that also like to see clinical/basic science research, and lots of it. I suspect the lack of multi-year clinical/basic science research maybe be holding you back at these schools. Your volunteer hours are decent but not overwhelming (unless Americorps is complete) and so that also could be holding you back at the low/mid tiers that like to see lots of hours (in addition to yield protection with that insane 521 MCAT). I would hit the research hard and you'll have lots of interest.
Thank you for the advice! I hadn't thought about yield protection, the way you put it definitely seems plausible. Im thinking about trying to get a research job and applying in 2 years most likely.

I disagree with the comment saying its yield protection. You have schools on your list (ie. Hofstra) that interview lots of high stat applicants.

I think its because you only basically only had 3 ECs (assuming you submitted before talking about americorp). If ur reapplying, i’d push americorp hard

I think it's both. Yield protection at some schools and insufficient volunteer hours at others. And at T20 schools that love the high stats, the OP's lack of clinical/basic science research maybe holding him back. T20's generally like high stats AND research. It's totally fixable though since OP is starting with a 3.8/521.

Reactions: 1 users
Update: Did not receive any interviews this cycle. I did manage to snag a meeting with an Adcom of a school that rejected me in a week or so. I plan to reevaluate my reapp plans based on how insightful that meeting is.

@Faha @Goro @Mr.Smile12 Would greatly appreciate any of your opinions on my situation.

• Research Experience: 600 Hours of Financial research
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
    • 500 Hours Volunteer EMT (1000 expected by next June)
  • Physician Shadowing: 8 hrs radiology, 8 hrs IM (cut short due to COVID)
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering:
    • 170 Hours tutoring in under-resourced schools
    • 32 Hours with a nonprofit making face shields for first responders/hospitals
    • 34 Hours as a volunteer tutor for underprivileged students
    • 20 hours at a food pantry
    • NEW: Americorps 1700 hrs teaching in Title I schools (mentioned in secondaries)
  • It could be my shadowing hours, which I will look to improve before reapplication, but I thought my clinical experience could have helped with my lack in that area.
Yup. Too little shadowing
  • It could be my lack of research experience in clinical/hard sciences.
Yup. The research who...um, sex workers want real research...what we define as in the hard sciences.
  • I edited my PS over the span of 5 months and had it vetted by 15+ people with mostly positive comments (including a former student on an adcom). I had all my secondaries seen at least once (usually more) by another set of eyes.
Did Faculty happen to vet your essays?
  • School list: did I apply too top heavy? I had my list checked here and used WARS, but given my lack of interviews I think its possible I may have overestimated myself.
School list was good; I only saw four where you were probably resource protected out.
Plans for next year:
  • Should I look for a clinical research position? I would not be able to start one until July, so I would not be able to put it on my primary should I reapply this coming cycle. Should I consider taking two years off to commit to a research position?
I think that this will fill a hole.
  • Should I look for a clinical position as an EMT/ER tech and reapply this coming year? I would enjoy this work as I like working with patients, but Im not sure it would improve my chances.
What exactly did you do as an EMT? Did you do things for patients, or merely chauffer them around, in the stereotype some of us have as "glorified bus driver"
  • Should I continue another year of Americorps while reapplying this coming year?
Service to others less fortunate than yourself is always good.

Yup. Too little shadowing

Did Faculty happen to vet your essays?

What exactly did you do as an EMT? Did you do things for patients, or merely chauffer them around, in the stereotype some of us have as "glorified bus driver"

Appreciate the help Goro. My PS did go through my committee which consisted of my school faculty, but I wasn't able to have it or my other essays vetted by med school faculty.

I volunteer EMT at my county's 911 service, so I'm always doing things for patients rather than something like a transport service.

If I'm able to increase my shadowing hours to ~40 ish by June, would you suggest I reapply this cycle or sit it out? I plan to find a research position for my gap, and if that falls through an MA/EMT position. If I applied this year I would update schools since I can't list that on my primary.

I also plan on applying DO my next time, are there any schools you would recommend? Thanks again for the help.

Appreciate the help Goro. My PS did go through my committee which consisted of my school faculty, but I wasn't able to have it or my other essays vetted by med school faculty.

I volunteer EMT at my county's 911 service, so I'm always doing things for patients rather than something like a transport service.

If I'm able to increase my shadowing hours to ~40 ish by June, would you suggest I reapply this cycle or sit it out? I plan to find a research position for my gap, and if that falls through an MA/EMT position. If I applied this year I would update schools since I can't list that on my primary.

I also plan on applying DO my next time, are there any schools you would recommend? Thanks again for the help.
Nope. Get 50+ hours

As for DO schools, I have a high opinion, in no order:

UNECOM
MUCOM
ACOM
CUSOM
the Touros
AZCOM
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCU
KCOM
both Westerns
PacNW
OKCOM (if you're fromt he Plains States)
KCOM
PCOM
VCOM
LECOM

Nope. Get 50+ hours

As for DO schools, I have a high opinion, in no order:

UNECOM
MUCOM
ACOM
CUSOM
the Touros
AZCOM
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCU
KCOM
both Westerns
PacNW
OKCOM (if you're fromt he Plains States)
KCOM
PCOM
VCOM
LECOM
Just to clarify, did you mean I should not reapply this upcoming cycle?