3.8 cGPA, 3.6sGPA, 517 MCAT URM (a Tad Late)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vocifer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDN,

Long time lurker, posted a few times, but finally feeling like this go-around may be the one, so here we go!

I'm a 26 y/o Black male from Alabama, attended a top 20 undergrad in Georgia, have an MPH and am currently working on a law degree. Maintained above a 3.5 in each graduate program, and although I would like to finish the JD later in life (also looking at MD/JD programs), I am very ready for medical school. ECs are good, many leadership roles and volunteering with (my own) underserved community. I was selected for a special Clinical Neurology seminar at my school my senior year which gave me tons of clinical hours, and completed an (unpublished) honors thesis with my PI and the neurologist I shadowed. MCAT Breakdown: 128,129,129,131.

I need advice on some additional schools to apply to. So far I've submitted primaries to:

Stanford
Harvard
Columbia
Baylor
Georgetown
U Miami
UAB
Howard
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
OHSU
Yale

I've completed secondaries for the more reach-based schools and those with earlier deadlines, but as I'm considering other schools to certify I'd rather do so prudently (and not just continue to pay for unnecessary or potentially fruitless apps!)

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings SDN,

Long time lurker, posted a few times, but finally feeling like this go-around may be the one, so here we go!

I'm a 26 y/o Black male from Alabama, attended a top 20 undergrad in Georgia, have an MPH and am currently working on a law degree. Maintained above a 3.5 in each graduate program, and although I would like to finish the JD later in life (also looking at MD/JD programs), I am very ready for medical school. ECs are good, many leadership roles and volunteering with (my own) underserved community. I was selected for a special Clinical Neurology seminar at my school my senior year which gave me tons of clinical hours, and completed an (unpublished) honors thesis with my PI and the neurologist I shadowed. MCAT Breakdown: 128,129,129,131.

I need advice on some additional schools to apply to. So far I've submitted primaries to:

Stanford
Harvard
Columbia
Baylor
Georgetown
U Miami
UAB
Howard
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
OHSU
Yale

I've completed secondaries for the more reach-based schools and those with earlier deadlines, but as I'm considering other schools to certify I'd rather do so prudently (and not just continue to pay for unnecessary or potentially fruitless apps!)

Please help!

If I were you I would consider adding:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
BU
Wake
Penn State
Dartmouth
Tulane

It is a little late but your stats are very solid. I frankly would be surprised if you don't get several interviews and at least one acceptance from your original list.

Reactions: 1 user
Hope you can get into a top 10! If things don't work out this year, I can see you being a top candidate for those schools if you submit in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to you both. I'm still a bit upset with myself for not submitting much earlier +pissed+, lol but also still crossing my fingers for some (ANY) love from some of the schools on my initial list, and I do think I'll add Tulane and perhaps BU.

I suspect the lateness is less of an issue than the sudden switch from law to medicine. You will need a compelling story to explain that.

I suspect the lateness is less of an issue than the sudden switch from law to medicine. You will need a compelling story to explain that.

Ah, yes. Not a switch, but a combination. Also explained.