3.8+ cGPA, 3.7+ BCPM, Unbalanced 514 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleu-noia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am a CA female Asian student, planning on applying to MD and DO schools in my state and a few MD schools out of state. I will be applying during the next cycle after my senior year so I will be taking a gap year. My MCAT was 514 (126/131/127/130). Should I retake it to try to improve C/P and B/B even if I might do worse on CARS?

My extracurriculars:
Paid research position, ~400+ hours
Published on one paper (but low authorship rank)
In the process of co-authoring a paper
TA for lab class
Shadowing, ~200 hours across different specialties
Hospital volunteering involving patient contact, ~100 hours
Volunteer tutor at local homeless shelter, ~20 hours (just started)
Hospice volunteer, ~60 hours
Leadership positions in 2 campus organizations

Is there anything else I could do to improve my application before the next application cycle? Thanks in advance for all the help!

Edit: forgot to account for shadowing hours completed this summer, a few clarifications

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
According to many people here, CARS is vastly preferred because it's hard to study for and only a real smart person can score that high.

Members don't see this ad :)
@wizzed101 Not sure if this is entirely accurate but from thread-lurking, it seems like CARS is looked at carefully but it's also the one schools are more lenient about, whereas schools expect higher scores from C/P and B/B. Do you know anything about this?

Last edited:
I had a Hispanic friend get accepted to MD PhD with a 131 Cars score and a 511 overall with a similar bio and Phys chem score. So don't worry about it! I mean, it would be better for a more "even" score but you will get in somewhere! Even from California. More volunterring at the homeless shelter will help! Apply early next cycle in June and you will be fine!