3.8 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, 30 MCAT, 0/6 in Texas Interview-wise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calpal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any IAs?

There might be a red flag in your app, like a bad LOR.

Did you try TCOM?

Statistics-wise, I am pretty much on par for the typical in-state accepted student for most of the Texas MD schools I applied to according to the MSAR (I did not apply to Southwestern or Baylor). And yet, I have not heard a peep from any of the 6 MD schools I applied to in Texas.

Here are my main EC's:

Cookie-cutter volunteering in and out of a hospital- enough for it not to be a strike against me, but not enough to stand out
Good research- published once in undergraduate research journal, another project still in the works
Shadowing- 40 hours at an orthopedic practice
Leadership- a whole lot within my fraternity
Other- social events, club baseball, hobbies, tutoring/mentoring underprivileged kids

Several people have told me that my personal statement was very well-written including my committee letter interviewer and an interviewer at a DO school, but when I went to meet with my advisor just yesterday he told me that it's likely that although it was well-written, my personal statement was about sports and I only shadowed at an orthopedic practice (shadowing is hard to get, i took what i could get) so ADCOMs may look at me as a gunner for orthopedics which my MCAT can't back up. What do yall think? Is that enough to disqualify me, a TX resident, from a single interview from any in-state school? Or is it something else that schools don't like about my app?

[Deleted]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
40hrs of shadowing in 1 specialty + some hospital volunteering is on the low side for MD applicants.

I'd get more clinical experience. In addition, some extra community service would also help.

Otherwise your stats should be good for TX MD schools.

Get new LORs as well.

[Deleted]

Last edited:
But is only 40 hrs in one specialty grounds to get me denied even a single interview at ANY of the 6 MD schools I applied to in the most in-state friendly state in America? I'm sorry for being dramatic, I am just living a bad dream right now and I need to man up and accept my situation.

I think it's the sports doctor thing mixed in with fraternity stereotypes. I could think of 10+ frat bros who want to do ortho and they could come up with a measly 40 hrs of shadowing easily. They would then end up with an app that is literally identical to yours. From the info you've given, not a single aspect of your app stands out at all.

Side note: I'm super interested in ortho, but I've kept that to myself just because of how common/naive it sounds.

I did try TCOM and I liked the school in the interview, but I feel like I was cheated out of MD. No institutional actions.

All I can think of is that my advisor, the head of the premed committee, wrote me a bad/lukewarm letter and gave me unimpressive rankings and tried to blame it on the fact that I wrote about/ shadowed sports doctors. Oh well.

Cheated out of MD?

You sound entitled and I bet that came through. You weren't cheated out of anything. Medical school isn't a reward for grades.

Please don't take that tcom seat. Let someone who wants it have it.

Your post is honestly offensive. I recommend you edit it.

Reactions: 1 users
Cheated out of MD?

You sound entitled and I bet that came through. You weren't cheated out of anything. Medical school isn't a reward for grades.

Please don't take that tcom seat. Let someone who wants it have it.

Your post is honestly offensive. I recommend you edit it.

You're offended? Really? I think suggesting that someone edit a post that disparages a type of medicine because you're offended sounds entitled. If you get offended reading comments that aren't directed at you, the internet might not be the place for you.

Note that I'm not defending what he said, but you're overreacting to a post made in frustration.

Reactions: 1 user
But is only 40 hrs in one specialty grounds to get me denied even a single interview at ANY of the 6 MD schools I applied to in the most in-state friendly state in America? I'm sorry for being dramatic, I am just living a bad dream right now and I need to man up and accept my situation.

Its not that it would get you denied, its that when compared to other applicants with similar stats and 100s of hours of clinical experience (CNA/EMT/Scribe/etc), you're at a disadvantage.

Remember, even though you're in Texas, a 30/3.8 is still about average and if you don't have strong ECs its very easy to get passed over for other average stats applicants with better or more diverse ECs.

Im assuming you applied back in June/July as well?

There are several states that beat TX for that title: AL,AR,KY,LA, MS, SC and WV to name a few in the South.

There are several states that beat TX for that title: AL,AR,KY,LA, MS, SC and WV to name a few in the South.

More in-state friendly than the 90% in-state required by law? You may be right, but I'm surprised.

More in-state friendly than the 90% in-state required by law? You may be right, but I'm surprised.
I'm looking at the percentage of IS applicants that matriculate into their own state. The IS applicants in the states listed have a better chance of IS matriculation than TX applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
If those ten "frat bros" (do you even go to a 4-year college?) all had 3.8's and 30s at a major Texas college, then I don't see why they shouldn't be at least interviewed to most in-state MD schools if they have the same apps as mine.

Put frankly, your app is mediocre at best and you clearly have anger/ego issues. I don't get why you feel so entitled. My GPA and MCAT make yours look absolutely pathetic, yet I only have 4/6 Texas interviews. So I could totally see a pedestrian applicant like yourself going 0/6 for MD schools. Actually, I could see you going 0/141.

Reactions: 2 users
I recommend you suck my dick and drink my jizz and choke on it and have a tcom kid come try and save you but all he does is try and fix you by messing with the sympathetic nerves in your spine and you die because of it.

@Ismet please ban this person.

Calpal if you reading this I recommend you think about what you wrote. I'm not surprised you haven't been successful this cycle with this crummy attitude of yours. I wish you the best but I think you have a lot of growing up to do.

You're offended? Really? I think suggesting that someone edit a post that disparages a type of medicine because you're offended sounds entitled. If you get offended reading comments that aren't directed at you, the internet might not be the place for you.

Note that I'm not defending what he said, but you're overreacting to a post made in frustration.

I think its interesting you want to stick up for a person with these clear mental issues. Ask yourself if you want this person as your doctor. Do you think this person has this mindset of a physician? Not to mention this person might enter the osteopathic profession and be bitter. Honestly this is a train wreck.

What's really grinds my gears is that he might take a DO seat away from someone that is genuine. I also recomnded that he edit that post not because I'm entitled (which infers I believe that I deserve to have the post changed?) but to be nice and give calpal a chance to fix something stupid he said out of frustration. Instead he continues to act like a five year old. He clearly isn't in this to become a doctor. But the fact I was willing to let him edit and I was willing to get past it shows I'm not overreacting. I understood he was frustrated and gave him an outlet to fix his mistakes. Unfortunately he didn't take it.

I really hope for his own sake that he works on these personality issues he has.

And I'm not personally offended don't worry. People say uneducated thing about DOs on here all the time. Im very proud to be going to a DO school and don't let this stuff affect me.

Obviously he hadn't made his subsequent posts since then, so any sympathy I had for him is gone and I won't defend him any longer.

I do think you overreacted to his initial post and I stand by that, but this conversation is academic now.

Obviously he hadn't made his subsequent posts since then, so any sympathy I had for him is gone and I won't defend him any longer.

I do think you overreacted to his initial post and I stand by that, but this conversation is academic now.

OK that's fine but I think my reaction was appropriate

My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, "If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately." Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- "Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because your post gave me cancer anyway.

Damn, you're old. Now your application seems even more pitiful. :laugh:

Oh chill your tits I was ecstatic to receive an interview from TCOM and I will be ecstatic to attend if they accept me; in a previous post I mentioned that I'd go to TCOM before I went to a few MD schools in Texas. I just like to watch yall sit around here and yank each others' peckers.

If you really liked TCOM you wouldn't feel cheated by going there.

Lol, this thread is exactly what I needed.