3.8 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartshaped box

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble making a list of schools to which I should request/submit secondaries.

GA resident, so I am applying to MCG and Mercer.

Non-traditional student. I have pretty good ECs, lots of leadership, lots of volunteering (more non-clinical than clinical), average research experience. I think 1-2 LOEs are very good (letter writers told me), and the other 1-2 are above average but standard (just guessing). Non-URM.

I didn't know MSAR could not be organized by MCAT, GPA etc. So I've been using the "School Selector-LizzyM" excel file that I found here on SDN, as well scrolling through the MSAR list.

Am I considered a "splitter"?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble making a list of schools to which I should request/submit secondaries.

GA resident, so I am applying to MCG and Mercer.

Non-traditional student. I have pretty good ECs, lots of leadership, lots of volunteering (more non-clinical than clinical), average research experience. I think 1-2 LOEs are very good (letter writers told me), and the other 1-2 are above average but standard (just guessing). Non-URM.

I didn't know MSAR could not be organized by MCAT, GPA etc. So I've been using the "School Selector-LizzyM" excel file that I found here on SDN, as well scrolling through the MSAR list.

Am I considered a "splitter"?

Unless you have a MCAT subscore <10 you should be fine applying anywhere you please. (keeping state residency in mind -- UG and Mercer are good choices for you). You have the luxury of considering location, curriculum, student body, etc.

Thank you for the advice. None of my subsections were below a 10.

I've compiled a list of schools, and would love to get some feedback on whether I'm aiming too high or too low or not broadly enough. This list includes my safeties and schools at which I believe I have a decent shot. Schools were chosen based on their LizzyM score versus mine (equal to or less than my 71), as well as percentage of applicants that are invited to interview.

MCG
Mercer
Morehouse
Georgetown
BU
Brown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
St Louis University
Mayo
USC
Tufts

My "reach" list includes Emory and Dartmouth at the moment. If anybody knows which "reach" schools (with Emory's stats and above) tend to look favorably on non-traditional students, I'd love to know.

Again, my stats are cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.9, 33 MCAT. GA resident. Description of other parts of my application in OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice. None of my subsections were below a 10.

I've compiled a list of schools, and would love to get some feedback on whether I'm aiming too high or too low or not broadly enough. This list includes my safeties and schools at which I believe I have a decent shot. Schools were chosen based on their LizzyM score versus mine (equal to or less than my 71), as well as percentage of applicants that are invited to interview.

MCG
Mercer
Morehouse
Georgetown
BU
Brown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
St Louis University
Mayo
USC
Tufts

My "reach" list includes Emory and Dartmouth at the moment. If anybody knows which "reach" schools (with Emory's stats and above) tend to look favorably on non-traditional students, I'd love to know.

Again, my stats are cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.9, 33 MCAT. GA resident. Description of other parts of my application in OP.

Mayo is quirky and accepts a very small class but it is worth having on the list. Morehouse is questionable... be sure you understand their mission statement and would feel comfortable in that setting (historically black medical school). Georgetown has a specific philosophy based on Catholic moral teachigns so be sure you are on board with that; they get a ton of applications despite one of the highest secondary fees in the country. Read some of the interview feedback (button at the top of every page on SDN) to get a feel for that school.

Over 30% of Brown's matriculants are accepted through their BS/MD so you may wanna take that off. I'd recommend adding Einstein, Ohio State, Wake Forest, Miami, and NYU as additional "match" schools. And since you're from the South you could add Duke, Vanderbilt, UNC, Baylor, and UVA as reach schools.

Thank you collegestud. I didn't know that about Brown. I was considering Wake Forest and Miami, but they only interview 5.5% and 4.3% of those who apply, respectively. That seems incredibly low.

Last edited:
Over 30% of Brown's matriculants are accepted through their BS/MD so you may wanna take that off. I'd recommend adding Einstein, Ohio State, Wake Forest, Miami, and NYU as additional "match" schools. And since you're from the South you could add Duke, Vanderbilt, UNC, Baylor, and UVA as reach schools.

Don't forget about VCU. They do pre-screen for secondaries and get a high volume of applications but your stats should be fine to get through. Have you looked at any schools in Florida?