3.8 gpa 30 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kickazz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

need some opinions.

I have a 3.8 overall gpa , took the mcat twice with a 10, 6, 9 = 25 O the first time and a 12, 6, 12 = 30 the second time.

My other credentials are excellent extracurriculars and leadership and work experiences. And extensive health care exposure , internships etc. I have research experience but not published yet.

Do I have a shot at MD?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The weak PS score (that is PS you did poorly in, right?) is going to hurt. I suggest aiming at low-tier MD programs, and selected DO ones. The latter are more forgiving. Best to call some Admissions deans and ask if you're competetive there.

Hey everyone,

need some opinions.

I have a 3.8 overall gpa , took the mcat twice with a 10, 6, 9 = 25 O the first time and a 12, 6, 12 = 30 the second time.

My other credentials are excellent extracurriculars and leadership and work experiences. And extensive health care exposure , internships etc. I have research experience but not published yet.

Do I have a shot at MD?

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
The weak PS score (that is PS you did poorly in, right?) is going to hurt. I suggest aiming at low-tier MD programs, and selected DO ones. The latter are more forgiving. Best to call some Admissions deans and ask if you're competetive there.

Oops I meant my verbal was a 6.

Members don't see this ad :)
dam bro if your score was more even maybe, but anything lower than a 7 in any section is gonna kill u. I also got a 30 but (11/9/10 more evenly distributed). sorry but u have to retake.

dam bro if your score was more even maybe, but anything lower than a 7 in any section is gonna kill u. I also got a 30 but (11/9/10 more evenly distributed). sorry but u have to retake.

Did not retake applied with the 6 on verbal. Accepted to two Medical schools so far. Have interviews lined up at a few more. Guess the whole "7 or above" myth isn't true.

I would still retake. Kickazz could be an exception to this rule. You can't rest all your laurel's on one person's experience because each person and each application is different and some reviewers might be more willing to overlook a 6 on VR while others will scrutinize it heavily.

All sections >7 is a general rule, but there are always exceptions. Without knowing @Kickazz entire application, it's hard to compare yourself to her.

I would still retake. Kickazz could be an exception to this rule. You can't rest all your laurel's on one person's experience because each person and each application is different and some reviewers might be more willing to overlook a 6 on VR while others will scrutinize it heavily.

What? kickazz is kickazz the OP... who are you talking to
he dug up his own old thread to tell off whoever it was that told him he couldn't get in with a 6

What? kickazz is kickazz the OP... who are you talking to
he dug up his own old thread to tell off whoever it was that told him he couldn't get in with a 6

Lol whoops should have read the thread more closely.

Hey all,

I will release school specific acceptances when cycle ends. I'm still a part of the app cycle so I don't feel comfortable release names quiet yet.

Hey all,

I will release school specific acceptances when cycle ends. I'm still a part of the app cycle so I don't feel comfortable release names quiet yet.

It isn't that hard to find the names of the schools that have accepted you given your posting in school specific threads on SDN.

It isn't that hard to find the names of the schools that have accepted you given your posting in school specific threads on SDN.
bump
I applied to 32 schools and posted on four "School specific" threads this past year, neither of whom were the ones that accepted yet. ;)

bump
I applied to 32 schools and posted on four "School specific" threads this past year, neither of whom were the ones that accepted yet. ;)
I think subscore>7 is an SDN rule--not adcoms...Lol. I have seen many accepted with 7 in PS/VR. I have not seen anyone accepted to MD in SDN with 7 in BS though. I rarely see 6 in VR got accepted to MD. I guess you are the exception or you might be ESOL.