3.8 gpa, 32 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timeturner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know what you all think about where I stand for this app cycle. I just got my March 23 score back and trying to decide if I should retake.

Don't want to write too long of a post but here are my basic stats:

GPA - low 3.8 after this semester (high 3.6 science GPA), but the past two semesters have been 4.0's
MCAT - 32 on March 23, 2013 (9 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS)

Asian female, pretty competitive large university (not that it matters - I mean this as in just slightly before Ivy), psychology major.

With 2 years of research, 1+ years of volunteering in a hospital with more than 200 hours, some non-clinical volunteering, part-time on campus work study job for more than 2 years, some private tutoring experience.

I am hoping to stay on the east coast, hopefully to more competitive schools than not. I would like to go to NYU currently but haven't really quite considered a list of schools yet so anything you guys have to say will be valuable advice haha

Anyway, thanks a bunch ahead of time. I really appreciate any feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

Bah, I am really not. I was expecting something in the 34-36 range and do not think the actual score I got speaks of my true potential. With that said, I did want advice on whether it would be worth retaking so I appreciate your feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering you would like to go to a higher tier school and your ECs I expect are cookie-cutter at best and your GPAs are pretty average, if you feel like you could do better on the MCAT I would retake it. With how your application stands now, I do not see you getting into better schools on the East Coast like NYU. You could have a good chance at a lower-tier school, but I would retake.

Be careful about a retake! If your score goes down it's going to be devastating.

Considering you would like to go to a higher tier school and your ECs I expect are cookie-cutter at best and your GPAs are pretty average, if you feel like you could do better on the MCAT I would retake it. With how your application stands now, I do not see you getting into better schools on the East Coast like NYU. You could have a good chance at a lower-tier school, but I would retake.

Yeah that's what I'm feeling too, especially with the 9. My essays and interviews should be good. I am not sure. Bah. Tough decision.
I read somewhere that schools great all scores above 30's the same, is that true? Obviously higher scores with the same EC's makes the applicant more preferential but bah. I want to retake but then, really, really not.

Be careful about a retake! If your score goes down it's going to be devastating.

Yeah this is how I feel too. I think if I do retake I will have to take a gap year and it was never planned so I don't know what I would do. I am 100% sure I won't be taking the 2015 tests though.

I'm inclined towards saying that you should keep your score. First of all, it's a solid score and you should be competitive for mid-tier schools taking in the rest of your application into consideration. I've also seen people going down and that would be a risk that's not worth taking unless you're sure that you can significantly bring it up. The aamc exams are not that accurate in indicating your score, if that's what you meant when you said that you expected in the 34-36 range. With that being said, take it again if you felt like you performed poorly or that you need to take more of the recommended courses.

I'm inclined towards saying that you should keep your score. First of all, it's a solid score and you should be competitive for mid-tier schools taking in the rest of your application into consideration. I've also seen people going down and that would be a risk that's not worth taking unless you're sure that you can significantly bring it up. The aamc exams are not that accurate in indicating your score, if that's what you meant when you said that you expected in the 34-36 range. With that being said, take it again if you felt like you performed poorly or that you need to take more of the recommended courses.

yeah i am not sure either. I was thinking of retaking in July, is that too soon?

Not sure where you heard that all schools regard everything above a 30 the same, but that is definitely not true. An applicant with a 31 is WAY different from an applicant with a 38.

That being said, never retake unless you're sure you will make a significant improvement. It isn't worth it to retake if you'll get a 33. Now, if you can consistently get 36's or 37's on practices and feel that you will perform the same way on the actual one, then you may consider retaking. Gaining 1 point won't help and will only make medical schools question your ability to gauge such situations. Tough decision with a 32.

Don't retake a 32, unless you only studied for a couple weeks or ran out of time on the test. Working on your ECs would be far more helpful if you want a better shot at schools like NYU.

I don't think you should retake it. 32 is pretty good, and you run the risk of scoring the same, lower, or just one point higher. You might benefit from taking a gap year and improving your ECs (not that they are bad right now, they just seem very standard based on what you described).

Thanks guys. so...I think I am pretty set on the gap year, but I am not sure if I should retake in August. I agree that I should add more to my EC's but I really am not sure if I study I can get it up higher.

Also, what list of schools would be reasonable to apply to with a 32?