3.8+ gpa, 35 MCAT, non science major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookout

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For a top tier school to like you, you must have all of the median stats 3.85+ GPA 35 or so MCAT but you NEED research. The top tier med schools are all research based and pretty much make it a prereq. Its good that your doing research and keep it up. Also, if you could get a publication, you would be golden (in their eyes)

I didn't necessarily mean leadership in your research project. I meant any leadership at all on your application?

The saying goes that "Top schools are looking to train the future leaders in medicine." They are attracted to students who show prospects of being leaders.

The research sounds pretty weak ( in terms of being such a short time duration) compared to what top schools might expect. When are you applying?

Last edited:
does anyone know if the non-science major will affect me negatively at top-tier schools?
"Top schools" aim to train future leaders in medicine. If you don't have substantive research, it can be substituted for by outstanding achievement in another field of endeavor. And I'd consider demonstrated strong leadership to be a must, in addition.

A regular commitment to a nonmedical community service would be nice to see, too. Teaching is another EC that could strengthen your application.

If you have 2+ years of science research in which you took some creative role, then being a nonscience major isn't an issue at all (in fact, it's a positive, as it helps you stand out), and there would be no reason to change majors.

What leadership role did you take that you referred to above? What good did you achieve with the position?

I have a 3.8+ GPA (3.9+ science) while taking an economics major at Rutgers Newark with numerous upper division science classes on the side (mol. bio, physiology, physical chemistry), possibly genetics. I have 100+ hours of clinical vvolunteering and 50+ hours of shadowing. I have also done research. MCAT of 12,12,11 (PS,BS,VR). Do I have a shot at a top tier medical school considering the quality of my undergrad and the fact that I am not a science major with a "hard" major? Thanks in advance for your replies, and I appreciate any advice.

Hey! I go to Rutgers Newark too, Excellent stats bro.. I was convinced everyone in that school was a *****. (true story)