• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar
Jul 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
OK, I'm an Anthropology major, with a minor in History. I decided on medicine late, so I couldn't take all of my prerequisites at a four year university. I took Orgo I & II at a local CC after I graduated, and I only have Anatomy & Physiology I as an extra class, outside of the normal prerequisites. My EC are OK, I guess. I've done 70 hours of shadowing, I've been volunteering at a clinic for what will be two years when I apply next year, and I'm also volunteering at a hospital (and getting patient contact) for what will be more than a year when I apply next year. I also have some minor research experience in my History department, and I did an internship at a law firm for a bit more than a semester a few years ago. I've also helped out at my church for a while, and I will have a DO LoR.

The schools I want to apply to are:
CCOM (dream school)
LECOM-Erie
LECOM-Bradenton
Nova
LMUD-COM
AZCOM
KCOM
PCOM
TUORO-NY

So, what do you guys think are my chances at these schools? Thanks for any help. I will be applying next year, BTW. Thanks again.

EDIT: Science GPA is actually a 3.63, after some recalculating, and overall is 3.81.

Last edited:

kautionwirez

Hadoken!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2007
Status
Medical Student
OK, I'm an Anthropology major, with a minor in History. I decided on medicine late, so I couldn't take all of my prerequisites at a four year university. I took Orgo I & II at a local CC after I graduated, and I only have Anatomy & Physiology I as an extra class, outside of the normal prerequisites. My EC are OK, I guess. I've done 70 hours of shadowing, I've been volunteering at a clinic for what will be two years when I apply next year, and I'm also volunteering at a hospital (and getting patient contact) for what will be more than a year when I apply next year. I also have some minor research experience in my History department, and I did an internship at a law firm for a bit more than a semester a few years ago. I've also helped out at my church for a while, and I will have a DO LoR.

The schools I want to apply to are:
CCOM (dream school)
LECOM-Erie
LECOM-Bradenton
Nova
LMUD-COM
AZCOM
KCOM
PCOM
TUORO-NY

So, what do you guys think are my chances at these schools? Thanks for any help. I will be applying next year, BTW. Thanks again.
looks good, just make sure you get the letter before you apply

(I am looking for a new DO, last one can't see me anymore because he's training staff.... :( )

torshi

Squirrel
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2010
sounds like your good to go :thumbup:

About the Ads
May 5, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you're fine for DO. Your MCAT is only a tiny bit below the preferred 27, but your GPA more that makes up for it. Personally, I think you have a great shot at CCOM. Good luck.

Jul 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you're fine for DO. Your MCAT is only a tiny bit below the preferred 27, but your GPA more that makes up for it. Personally, I think you have a great shot at CCOM. Good luck.
I hope so, CCOM is, without question, the school that I would love to go to, simply because it would allow me to be relatively close to home.

Jul 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
OK, I just realized that my DO science GPA is actually a 3.63 (overall is a 3.81). Does that change things too drastically? For CCOM, KCOM, LECOM, etc.?

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
Raise your MCAT to a 30+ and you can have a shot at MD if you would want too that is.

About the Ads