3.80 (upward) GPA, 521 MCAT, Solid EC's, Gates Cambridge scholar, High School Drop Out, Nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemystery31

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
DELETED for anonymity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...to get into whatever medical school you want.

Apply to the "top" programs, and add state schools. Polish your interview skills, and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pick your school. You in.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the most impressive set of ECs/life experience/stats/research/well-roundedness I have EVER seen, and I go to a top 5 school surrounded by stellar students. Seriously, this is beyond impressive. Plus, you've got a crazy hook/life story with the high school drop out and then turning your life around to look like this. WOW.

You are going to be one of the most sought after applicants this cycle, and will have your pick of which top notch medical school you want to attend. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
The hardest decision you'll be making is whether you look better in Crimson or Cardinal

You're a rock star; aim highI suggest:
Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U AZ
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF
UCLA,
UCSD,
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
Your state schools
Questions:
  • What should I do in the meantime before applying (July 2018 and matriculating July 2019)
Some employment to save up some money.

• Is this much time out of undergrad / multiple gap years questionable and/or detrimental?
Nope
  • Considered MD/PhD but at Matriculation age of 28, I think I am too old to choose this and be happy (for instance if I want a family down the road)
If you want to end up in research, you don't need the MD/PhD. Some PhD programs, like Baylor, will make you do a full length PhD portions...so that's up to nine years in school with the MD part!

Thank you, everyone. I can't even begin to tell you how much this means to me, especially after struggling so much early on.

I'll likely be volunteering a bunch more and hopefully being more productive in research (and saving money in the process). I do hope to find some clinical volunteering opportunities in England as well, to contrast with the US. Hopefully, I do matriculate somewhere, anywhere, and I have a happy career.

I'm logging out of my alias now. Thank you again for the responses and kind words.

Hey, just wanted to say congrats on all your success!:) I looked over the Gates Cambridge website because I have toyed with the idea of applying. I only bring this is up to say based on the info you have given it would be somewhat easy to identify you, so you might want to consider editing your info. ( since you made an another account for anonymity purposes I assume this matters to you)

Reactions: 1 user