MD & DO 3.81 gpa, 513 MCAT, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A LaRue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've have a 3.81 cumulative and science undergrad GPA, and I scored a 513 on the MCAT this summer. I've done ~3 years of lab-based research, but have no clinical experience or shadowing. I will be applying next summer/fall, and I'm considering mostly state schools (OK) for both DO and MD. What are my chances of getting in to a med school like this, and how much clinical experience will I need to become a reasonable candidate given my stats? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're gonna get slammed pretty bad if you don't get some shadowing in STAT.

You have no shot without clinical experience AND shadowing. And over 100 hours clinical and 50 hours shadowing seems to be a guideline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without these you're instant reject material.

I've have a 3.81 cumulative and science undergrad GPA, and I scored a 513 on the MCAT this summer. I've done ~3 years of lab-based research, but have no clinical experience or shadowing. I will be applying next summer/fall, and I'm considering mostly state schools (OK) for both DO and MD. What are my chances of getting in to a med school like this, and how much clinical experience will I need to become a reasonable candidate given my stats? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Stats are good for both MD and DO. But without any clinical experience (shadowing, volunteering, job etc.), you will have no shot at all. Think about it like this, what will your essays be about? How will you write the "why medicine" prompt? What will you say in your interviews? How would you know that medicine is the right choice for you?

It would be a shame for good numbers like yours to be wasted because of the simplest clinical requirement. Do some shadowing and start volunteering asap.

You have plenty of time to get clinical exposure. For the next 8 months, it shouldn't be hard to volunteer 150-200 hours in a hospital/hospice or clinical setting like that(we're literally talking one four hour shift a week). Shadow for a couple weekends as well and you will in all likelihood be a good candidate for a large number of lower tier programs and perhaps some medium tiers as well.