3.82, 31-->Check out my list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potatoman1800

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just want an opinion on my list of schools seen below. Here's some stuff about my app:

-CA Resident
-Research: Almost 4 years, 2 pubs (2nd author), awards, conferences etc.
-Good amount of shadowing
-Great community service
-Lots of clinical work
-Leadership for a few years on and off campus (interesting stuff)
-Other awards (PBK, Latin etc.)
-5 Solid LORS
-Good PS

Thoughts on these? I want to narrow it down a bit once I get verified. Or add as you see fit. Thanks!

USC Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
George Washington U. SOM
Georgetown University
Emory
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane University
Boston University SOM
Tufts University SOM
Creighton University SOM
Dartmouth
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein COM
Mount Sinai SOM
NYU
New York Medical College
Wake Forest University
Jefferson Medical College
Temple University
Vanderbilt
University of Vermont COM
Medical College of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Actually, I think it's a pretty good list with a nice variety of selectivity. With the apparent strength of your ECs, even the reaches may be within your grasp.

If you want to narrow it down, consider weather, curriculum type, grading system, safety of area, cost of living in the area, etc.

Thanks. I've really been trying to cut down the list a bit since I don't want to spend so much, especially after applying last year to around the same number of schools.

Any thoughts on adding a couple Ivies just to see what happens?:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you apply last year, and what's new on your application since then? How magnificent was yor leadership experience?

I applied to a lot more reaches last year, as well as TX and FL schools. It wasn't until later through more research that I didn't fit what those schools were looking for (OOS status, amount of clinical experience etc) so I got rejected from a good amount of them. I did end up with 1 MD interview but eventually got rejected as well.

As far as changes from last year, my MCAT score and GPA are higher and I have a lot more shadowing and clinical exp/patient exposure now, as well as more research with presentations and awards to boot.

One leadership role I had before I graduated included founding and being VP for a campus group that is highly involved in the community, politics and religious affairs, although I downplayed the religion aspect in my app. I also coordinated big formal events for another group I was in (organizing catering, bussing, boats, entertainment etc). I was also a lab coordinator for a number of months in my lab and had a bunch of things to keep track of (schedules, experiments, ordering supplies, working with the PI, training new students).

I applied to a lot more reaches last year, as well as TX and FL schools. It wasn't until later through more research that I didn't fit what those schools were looking for (OOS status, amount of clinical experience etc) so I got rejected from a good amount of them. I did end up with 1 MD interview but eventually got rejected as well.

As far as changes from last year, my MCAT score and GPA are higher and I have a lot more shadowing and clinical exp/patient exposure now, as well as more research with presentations and awards to boot.

One leadership role I had before I graduated included founding and being VP for a campus group that is highly involved in the community, politics and religious affairs, although I downplayed the religion aspect in my app. I also coordinated big formal events for another group I was in (organizing catering, bussing, boats, entertainment etc). I was also a lab coordinator for a number of months in my lab and had a bunch of things to keep track of (schedules, experiments, ordering supplies, working with the PI, training new students).

I'm sorry, what is "OOS status"?