3.82 GPA and 518 MCAT, International reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkano

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will actually be applying next year for 2018-2019 cycle, but will most likely be in the army for the next 2 years, so I would like to get advice on school list in advance (not much internet access while in the military).

Double major (both science)
cGPA:3.82
sGPA:3.82
MCAT: 513 --> 518 (retake)

Volunteering: ~50 hrs in free clinic; ~200 hrs outside the US; and ~200 hrs in third world country
Shadowing: ~200 hrs
Research: ~2000 hrs while in college (honor's thesis, a poster at national conference, and one 1st author pub., low impact); ~3000 hrs at another lab (one 4th author pub., high impact)
Teaching: TA for one semester, Research Mentor, and one pretty unique teaching experience
Leadership: President at two clubs; Will have completed 1 year of military service as a medic by the time I apply next year
Awards: Research Scholarship upon undergrad matriculation (~1% students receive this)

As I wrote in the beginning, I'm an international re-applicant (non-Canadian). When I applied last time, I had same stats minus publications, clinical volunteering in the free clinic and third world country, one teaching experience, and military service.
I'm a little bit worried that admissions will look down upon doing military service outside the U.S. (non-US army), since I won't be using English at all for the next 2 years.
Thank you for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My school list was: Cornell (II), UCLA (II), Vanderbilt (Secondary, but no II), USC, Emory, Brown, Dartmouth, UPenn, Wustl, UVA, Northwestern, Einstein, Mount Sinai, NYMC, Georgetown, BU, Case Western, Thomas Jefferson, Rosalind Franklin, and Tufts.

My school list was: Cornell (II), UCLA (II), Vanderbilt (Secondary, but no II), USC, Emory, Brown, Dartmouth, UPenn, Wustl, UVA, Northwestern, Einstein, Mount Sinai, NYMC, Georgetown, BU, Case Western, Thomas Jefferson, Rosalind Franklin, and Tufts.
I think your list was way too top-heavy for being an international applicant. Check MSAR online for international-friendly schools (subscription is somewhere around $25-30, but well worth it). Some schools don't even accept international applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
@vernhart Yes, I actually did use MSAR in my first cycle, but could only find so many schools that accept int'l students.
Also, I heard int'l applicants are not that disadvantaged when it comes to getting admission (esp. for private schools), but it's more about difficulties in paying tuition upfront. Is it not true?

Last edited:
Only 49 MD schools even consider internationals.
Most of them matriculate less than 3. Many matriculate none.
The standards for interview tend to be higher.
The reasons include such things as lack of funding, Match challenges and regional preferences.

Reactions: 1 users
@vernhart @gyngyn I see. Thank you for your input. I think I can add Stony Brook, SUNY upstate, Tulane, and UNC. Any advice on school list?
And if I gain more clinical experience as a medic, which I plan to do in the next two years, would that do anything to my application or is it still not enough to overcome mediocre stat? I'm just hoping since I got 2 IIs, maybe I'll get more next time with some improvements.