3.83 cGPA / 3.79 sGPA / Need advice on schools list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schrodingershat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'd appreciate any feedback/advice on my list of schools. Basically my stats are pretty good, however for various reasons I have to take the MCAT this July. I'm expecting to do decently well, but you never know. I'm planning to submit my application at the end of June or beginning of July and hope for the best on the test. Clinical interest is surgery. Thank you!

-Illinois resident, went to top 10 liberal arts school

-Mathematics major, German minor

-cGPA: 3.83

-BCPA: 3.79

-20 hours shadowing surgeons (oral and plastic)

-100+ hours volunteering in emergency room

-40 hours volunteering at free clinic for underserved/uninsured

-40 hours participating in laparoscopic surgery research study (basically trained on simulator, suturing rubber tubes)

-Conducted original math research with professor senior year; wrote thesis that received high departmental honors; presented at national meeting and received outstanding undergraduate research award

-Math tutor to highschoolers (~100 total hours)

-Studied abroad in Germany for 7 months

-Very accomplished classical pianist; received piano scholarship to attend college, studied and gave recitals all 4 years, performed concerto with orchestra, played for private events/parties, performed at elementary schools as part of musical outreach program

-Volunteer keyboardist at church for services (~50 hours)

-Sang in college choir for 4 years (500+ total hours of rehearsal, concerts, etc.)

-Phi Beta Kappa

-Omicron Delta Kappa

-Picked corn as summer job (500 hours throughout high school and summer after freshman year)

Reaches: Baylor, Dartmouth, Duke, Harvard, Northwestern, UChicago, Vanderbilt, WashU

Targets: Boston, Georgetown, Loyola, Medical College of Wisconsin, St. Louis, University of Wisconsin, Wake Forest

Again, I'm hoping for the best with the MCAT but I'd also like to have leeway. So if anyone has suggestions, I would really appreciate it! Ideally I'd like to stay in the midwest/east coast, but I'd really be happy to go anywhere I would get in. I think my schools may be a bit top heavy, so I'm especially looking for suggestions of smaller or lesser-known schools that are friendly to out-of-state applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Without a definite MCAT score it is difficult to comment accurately on your choices. Apply to the target schools now and add another 5 or 6 target schools. When you receive your MCAT score then you can determine if any of the reaches are realistic.