3.83sGPA 3.04cGPA. Flunked out once. Any Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD wannabee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO my first year in College I got on academic probation for getting 2 F's. Then the next year I received Medical Withdrawal for the fall semester and then received 4 F's in the Spring Semester.

I got kick out of School. I went to a community college for a year. I got all A's. Then finished out with a Bio Degree at the University. I got all A's except one B in Orgo 2.

I have 500 hours of volunteering under my belt. I got a 30 on the MCAT. I have excellent recommendations and a great personal statement. I do not have any research experience.

Do I stand a chance? OR am I wasting my money applying?

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to need to bring up that cGPA, and build your ECs some more.

I wouldn't apply this cycle.

Definitely, i'm sure you can do well if you really want to.i've seen many cases like yours who end up being one of the toppest. just don't waste your time and stay away from people who give you stupid advices. you will be fine if you believe in yourself, and start from now.
good luck

What state do you live in?

Did you retake all the classes you got an F in?

If so, you should recalculate your cGPA using AACOMAS rules (DO med school application service), which only includes the most recent grade among retakes if credit hours are the same or greater.

DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050

Do you feel the 30 MCAT represents the best effort you could have put into the studying?

Research experience isn't required, but it's good to make up for its lack with strength elsewhere. Having lots of volunteer hours, like you do, is a good way to do that. Do you have physician shadowing, both clinical and nonmedical community service, leadership, teaching?

Do any of your LORs touch on the reason for the Fs (would be helpful).