markelle

5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Washington, d.c.
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello everyone, Ill try to be short and concise

GPA when I graduate spring 2017: 3.85/ science 3.71
my transcript is literally all A's EXCEPT for a C in BOTH orgo I and II. I also got B- in Physics II. On the pluside I got an A in biochem...
my reason (not an excuse) for why I recieved a C in orgo was because I was working 20-30hr/wk, I wanted more money for gas and going out tbh...
I did most pre-reqs at CC (except Physics II) , so idk what my chances are for top 20 schools.....

MCAT- aiming for April 2017. With biochemistry fresh in my mind I'm aiming for 510-515 for the MCAT

EC.
SMDEP
Part time job at a furniture store
(started 2014, plan on staying)- Sales Associate. worked here 7/8 college semesters
Part time job for an Ophthalmologist (MD)- I think I have at least 1000 hours here (idk why people convert to hours) but I would have been here 2 years when its time to apply. Here I scrib, perform testing on patients, write/send prescriptions, assist in medical producers, finish charts, deal with insurance and stuff etc. basically medical assistant.
Research 3 semesters ( NIST): currently 1 paper in review, coauthor... I am hoping this gets published!
President of 2 clubs (the math club, and a biological sciences club)
Tutored- at community college for general chemistry and calc I/pre-calc
Lead study groups- for biochemisty and cell biology
I plan to start volunteering next semester when my credit load is lighter. I did some volunteering during my freshman year, but when organic chem came around I stopped lol

I'll be 21 next year. African American (URM), average-low income family, mom retired & dad mostly took leave for medical reasons. Partly raised by a single parent (my parents are married but my dad leaves overseas to visit family). First generation college student.

like most say, I'm expecting to write a good PS and have good letters of rec. lol

do you think I should wait another year gain more clinical experience from maybe a PCP? gain more research experience, more volunteering hours etc.? or are my chances good now?

thank you!

A

AnatomyGrey12

Study your butt off for that MCAT because with a 515 you would be a candidate at any school in the country.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.