3.85 cGPA, 3.79sGPA, 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klr0020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT score back and was a bit surprised to see only a 29. I had consistently been making 32-35 on the many practice tests I had taken. Now I can't decide whether it will be more to my advantage to retake the MCAT and apply later in the application process or apply as early as possible with the 29. I haven't studied at all since taking the test in April though. Any suggestions???

Also, I'm an AL resident and am looking to stay in state. The two schools in state have median scores of 30 and 31.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my MCAT score back and was a bit surprised to see only a 29. I had consistently been making 32-35 on the many practice tests I had taken. Now I can't decide whether it will be more to my advantage to retake the MCAT and apply later in the application process or apply as early as possible with the 29. I haven't studied at all since taking the test in April though. Any suggestions???

Also, I'm an AL resident and am looking to stay in state. The two schools in state have median scores of 30 and 31.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Generally speaking improving your score from a 29 to a 32-35 will have a significant impact on the competitiveness of your application. If you are planning on taking it in July/August I think you still will be in good shape time-wise. Being complete in September is a little on the later side but the benefits of moving your score from a 29 to a 32-35 will outweigh those negative aspects. The key here, however, is that you must improve your score.

Things to consider: When are you planning on retaking it if you choose to do so? What is the breakdown for each section of your current MCAT score? A balanced 29 is much more desirable then an unbalanced 29. How are the other aspects of your application (ECs, PS, LORs, etc.)? Are you up to the task of studying for the MCAT again? Are you confident you can do better?

I do not need you to answer those question for me. You know yourself and your situation better than anyone else so you really need to be the one to make this decision. Regardless of you MCAT score there is no guarantee that you will get accepted to your state schools but improving your MCAT would definitely help your chances. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I think you were right on with your questions. My 29 was pretty balanced so I'm really debating whether or not to keep it or try again. I THINK that I can do better if I really bunker in and study hard for the following month, but at the same time, I'd hate for my decision to backfire if I do any worse and also am still turning in my applications in later. Decisions, decisions....

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar situation, however if you are confident in your application and the MCAT is your only point of weakness, I would apply early and confidently. Towards the end of the cycle if things are not working in your favor, start studying for the MCAT and you will have plenty of time to be ready to retake and get a much higher score for the next application cycle. Trying to rush it now could really screw you over if you do worse, and it could also hinder your chances for next year.

Whatever you decide, good luck! I'm right there with ya, we will make it! :thumbup:

Even with a 29, you have a good GPA. Your LizzyM score would be: 68 or so. That is a decent score and you should get in somewhere.What are your EC's like?

My EC's included playing varsity soccer, volunteering with a local elementary school's after school tutoring/mentoring program, doing research with a child sleep lab, and a good amount of shadowing doctors. I'm also employed as a campus tutor and am working in a doctor's office this summer. There are a few other smaller things, but I think those are the biggies.

And to Izalexzi, good luck too! It's nice to know that there are other people out there in similar situations and you're right...we'll get through it!

Take the MCAT again man. You don't want to waste that nice GPA.

I would say submit your application first, then start studying for the MCAT. I think if you apply broadly, you shouldn't have trouble getting in with a 29. I scored a 27 and got 2 acceptances. Applying late is a bad idea.