3.85 cgpa 3.85 sgpa 28s mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

het het

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SGPA/CGPA both 3.85.

First MCAT 24, Second MCAT 28 (9PS/8/VR11BS).

Some significant EC's-
Volunteer 5 years at local clinic
Shadowed a few different specialties (500+ hours)
Teaching assistant for various math courses (have partially lead some lectures)
Currently a volunteer at 2 not-for-profit organizations (orphanage and a foodbank)- heavily involved in one
Extensive research background studying disease mechanisms and protein function (1 formal presentation)

LOR- Very strong.

Illinois resident, 22 Asian Male

Was wondering what my chances are at any/some MD program? Apply Early or Retake MCAT? Any potential schools reccomended?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
SGPA/CGPA both 3.85.
EC'S- good to great.
LOR- Very strong.
Illinois resident.

Was wondering what my chances are at any/some MD program? Apply Early or Retake MCAT? Any potential schools reccomended?
Chances for all applicants in the paat three years with your stats were ~61%. You can fine-tune this number based on race at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650

With strong LORs and ECs, I think you have a pretty decent shot at UIC, Rosalind Franklin, and (if you live south of I-80) SIU.

Other schools to check out for "fit": Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU (newer), Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (newer in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, Buffalo, ETennessee (vet preference, 13%OOS)
EVMS, Cooper (newer)
USCarolina (c state ties), Quinnipiac (CT-new)

There are other schools to consider if you are a member of a special population group.

:love:
Chances for all applicants in the paat three years with your stats were ~61%. You can fine-tune this number based on race at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650

With strong LORs and ECs, I think you have a pretty decent shot at UIC, Rosalind Franklin, and (if you live south of I-80) SIU.

Other schools to check out for "fit": Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU (newer), Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (newer in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, Buffalo, ETennessee (vet preference, 13%OOS)
EVMS, Cooper (newer)
USCarolina (c state ties), Quinnipiac (CT-new)

There are other schools to consider if you are a member of a special population group.

Thank you very much for the info and detailed post.

I should have mentioned I'm an Asian male, 22.

In your opinion do u think it would be wise to apply early/broadly or perhaps retake mcat?

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your race-adjusted odds appear to be about 59-ish %, which is pretty good, considering that 60 % of applicants do not get an acceptance.

It's always a good idea to apply early and broadly.

Whether you should retake the MCAT depends on your aversion to risk. A higher score certainly enhances your chances, but what if your score is lower? It happens. Another way of decreasing risk would be to apply to some DO schools as well. This approach entails less risk and gives you a near lock on success.

Your race-adjusted odds appear to be about 59-ish %, which is pretty good, considering that 60 % of applicants do not get an acceptance.

Whether you should retake the MCAT depends on your aversion to risk. A higher score certainly enhances your chances, but what if your score is lower? It happens. Another way of decreasing risk would be to apply to some DO schools as well. This approach entails less risk and gives you a near lock on success.

Again, thank you for the input.

I definitely agree with you on the mcat situation.

Also, are there any other schools you think I should look into (in addition to what I think I can match with on the MSAR)?

Thanks again.

Again, thank you for the input.

I definitely agree with you on the mcat situation.

Also, are there any other schools you think I should look into (in addition to what I think I can match with on the MSAR and those you listed above)?

Thanks again.

As I don't know your ECs, I can't fine-tune appropriate school suggestions any further, other than the list above based on stats. Perhaps others will have further input.

Thanks again catalystik.

As reference for you and others, I have highlighted some of the EC's that I feel are significant.

EC'S-
Teaching assistant for various math courses
Currently a volunteer at 2 not-for-profit organizations (orphanage and a foodbank)- heavily involved in one
Extensive research background studying disease mechanisms and protein function

Apply carefully and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. A 3.8 GPA isn't anything to sneeze at. Naturally, there will be shcools that will sneer at your MCATs, but a little homework will help you find those schools which will give you the highest chances. mercer, Rosy Franklin, and NYMC come to mind immediately. I'n not optimisitic about SUNY-Buffalo, as you're not a NY resident. Give 'em a call to see if you're competetive.

ALL DO programs would take you in a heartbeat, including mine.

SGPA/CGPA both 3.85.

Some significant EC's-
Teaching assistant for various math courses (have partially lead some lectures)
Extensive research background studying disease mechanisms and protein function (1 formal presentation)

LOR- Very strong.

Illinois resident, 22 Asian Male

See queries in red:
As reference for you and others, I have highlighted some of the EC's that I feel are significant.

EC'S-
Teaching assistant for various math courses
Currently a volunteer at 2 not-for-profit organizations (orphanage and a foodbank)- heavily involved in one For how many months and how many hours per week for each?
Extensive research background studying disease mechanisms and protein functionAny pubs, posters, or presentations off campus?

See queries in red:

1) No pubs, posters, or presentations off campus; but I did lead some formal presentations to various undergrad classes ON campus.

2) For both volunteering activities - 2 to 3 hours for 4 months, and 3 to 4 hours for about 6 months

Thanks.

Cat, thanks again for all your help. I greatly appreciate all your help and input.

Any other opinions, recommendations, or schools guys?