3.85 GPA, 33MCAT - Need school list advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dingos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've earned my B.S. in biology with a chemistry minor from Old Dominion University, finishing with a 3.85 GPA. I'm still a Virginia resident. Right now, I'm in a gap year.

I took my first MCAT with little to no preparation and did terrible (24: PS8/VR8/BS8).
My second attempt was much better (33: PS10/VR11/BS12).

I have about 1100 hours of clinical time over 3 years of service as a volunteer EMT-B in a completely volunteer EMS system, about another 800 hours over 2 years working as an ED tech, participated in a medical mission to Costa Rica for two weeks, was a chemistry TA for a semester, and I'm an electronic medical record software analyst at a hospital (educating physicians and nurses on usage of EMR systems).

I will have two decent LORs from professors at my university, a third strong LOR from my EMS chief, and hopefully a fourth from an ED doctor or supervisor in my ED.

My main concern is that I have absolutely no research experience. As I've seen in the MSAR, most schools are favorable to applicants with it. I've been applying to positions at a nearby university, but I won't have any new experience before I submit my AMCAS application.

I've been compiling a list of schools, but I'm feeling discouraged looking at these research numbers.
Any advice for where I should apply? And are there any schools I shouldn't bother with?

Members don't see this ad.

Research is a nice thing to have, but to a lot of schools it is not necessary. A lot of people tend to have research and that's why those numbers on MSAR are so high, it doesn't necessarily mean the school is looking for it intently. It'd be a bonus if you can get some position and then update schools later.

Your GPA is excellent, and your new MCAT is much better; every school will look at 2 scores differently though, so its best to cast a broad net. If I were you I'd apply to low tiers and mid-tiers.

Some suggestions.

EVMS
VCU
VTech
West Virginia U
UVa (reach)
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
TCMC
Penn State
NYMC
Albany
Einstein
Rochester
Hofstra
Cincinnati
St. Louis U
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Creighton
Medical College of Wisconsin

Reactions: 1 users
Okay I'll definitely use some of those suggestions for my final list.

I know many of these schools are probably reaches, but do you think any are acceptable places for me to apply? I plan on applying to a larger than average number of schools, application fees aren't a concern.

Boston University School of Medicine
George Washington
UNC
University of Cincinatti
Tufts
Stony Brook
Case Western
NYU MUSC
Vanderbilt
UWash
U.Pitt
NYU
University of Maryland
Johns Hopkins
Duke

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with most of the schools on the list that @Banco gave you. You could add Boston University, Tufts, GW and Cincinnati but the other schools are reaches or state schools that strongly prefer their own residents.

I know many of these schools are probably reaches, but do you think any are acceptable places for me to apply? I plan on applying to a larger than average number of schools, application fees aren't a concern.

George Washington
UNC
University of Cincinatti
Tufts
Stony Brook
Case Western
NYU MUSC
Vanderbilt
UWash
U.Pitt
NYU
University of Maryland
Johns Hopkins
Duke

If you're going to apply to the reaches in this list then you should have the schools I gave you as a realistic foundation first. Then add the reaches on top of them. If you're going to apply like this you're probably looking at 30 schools or more.

And to be frank, without research, and 24/33 as your 2 MCATs, most of those schools in your list are real long shots.

George Washington
UNC
University of Cincinatti
Tufts
Stony Brook
Case Western
NYU MUSC
Vanderbilt
UWash
U.Pitt
NYU
University of Maryland
Johns Hopkins
Duke

Don't apply to research oriented schools if you don't have research. Case Pitt Duke Hopkins NYU Vandy UWASH(unless in state) are all basically wastes of application fees and aren't realistic

I wouldn't advise UNC or Maryland unless in state also. With the retake to get the 33 MCAT combined with limited research you need to readjust your expectations. You are definitely competitive for an MD school but the need to apply broadly and realistically is key

Other schools you can add are Tufts Wake Forest Oakland Western Michigan Miami and perhaps the DC schools. Also apply to a couple DO schools of your choice

Last edited:
So how does this final list look? Still too many reaches?

EVMS
VCU
UVA
Boston University
GWU
MUSC
St Louis
Temple
Tufts
WVU
Jefferson
Drexel
TCMC
NYMC
Albany
Einstein
Rochester
Hofstra
Loyola
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reaches:

Penn State
NYU
Case Western Reserve
Vanderbilt
UNC Chapel Hill
U.Pitt
Emory

So how does this final list look? Still too many reaches?

EVMS
VCU
UVA
Boston University
GWU
MUSC
St Louis
Temple
Tufts
WVU
Jefferson
Drexel
TCMC
NYMC
Albany
Einstein
Rochester
Hofstra
Loyola
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reaches:

Penn State
NYU
Case Western Reserve
Vanderbilt
UNC Chapel Hill
U.Pitt
Emory

Don't apply to schools with a focus towards research like case NYU and pitt if you don't have research

Id pick a school along the lines of USC as a reach not Vandy. The OOS applicants UNC takes are probably from neighboring states like VA but I'd still be hesitant to recommend it.

The rest of your list looks solid

The advice on not applying to research heavy schools is very good. Different schools are looking for very different things in an applicant independent of stats, and research is one of the strongest points. Some schools seem happy to take those without research, others won't. Pitt and NYU are definitely a waste of time. However, I wouldn't take Case off the list, I believe they are much more open to students with less research than some other schools.