3.86 cGPA sGPA3.90 low mcat of possible 500-503 (any advice please )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandy0798

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really stuck in a pickle and need some advice. I had sent out my primary applications June 26th so they could start getting verified and took the MCAT June 19th and was hoping for the best.
My MCAT preliminary results were:
Chem and phys: 62-77
CARS:53-68
Biol:49-64
Psych/soc:38-53
Overall: 46-58
I looked it up and that should leave me to a possible 500-503 which would convert to an old score of a 25-27. I didn't study as much as I should have and wanted to look into taking it again 9/3, but I didn't know if that would be late in the application cycle and if it would be better just to wait until next year.

I am a first-generation college student with no one in medicine in my family, so things have been hard to figure out. Also, my mom is from Poland, so that's a whole different ballgame as well. I have worked hard in my classes in undergrad to maintain an overall 3.867 at my liberal arts college. I have a 3.92 in my pre-med major and a 3.83 in my biochemistry major. I have a chemistry and Spanish minor as well. I have been studying Spanish for the last 7 years and have gotten pretty comfortable with it. I am a very outgoing individual and love working with people. My ECS and experiences include:
-being a lifeguard for 5 years
-research at school
-research at Loyola university this summer
-past camp counselor
-shadowed a few doctors for 50 hours
-scholarship chair and volunteer experiences within my sorority
-I volunteer for Young life Capernaum as a leader which is a christian group that works with teens with disabilities
-tutor general and organic chemistry and proctor freshmen chemistry lab
-honors program my freshmen year
-Relay For life- team mentor cochair past 3 years
-Part of the leadership academy at my school and went to conference at Disney

I applied to most of the Illinois schools (Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, SIU, UIC medical school), creighton in Nebraska, University of Ohio, Wisconsin medical school and university of Minnesota in the twin-cities

My question is, would I still have a good chance of getting in or would it be in my favor to still retake the MCAT 9/3/15 and go through with my applications this year with the credentials I stand at or wait until the next cycle and schedule my MCAT for a different date? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL. Whether it's other schools I should apply to or what I should do about my ECs or anything

Members don't see this ad.

You're circling the drain for MD schools, and are OK for DO schools. Apply broadly to the latter. I can't recommend LUCOM.

I am really stuck in a pickle and need some advice. I had sent out my primary applications June 26th so they could start getting verified and took the MCAT June 19th and was hoping for the best.
My MCAT preliminary results were:
Chem and phys: 62-77
CARS:53-68
Biol:49-64
Psych/soc:38-53
Overall: 46-58
I looked it up and that should leave me to a possible 500-503 which would convert to an old score of a 25-27. I didn't study as much as I should have and wanted to look into taking it again 9/3, but I didn't know if that would be late in the application cycle and if it would be better just to wait until next year.

I am a first-generation college student with no one in medicine in my family, so things have been hard to figure out. Also, my mom is from Poland, so that's a whole different ballgame as well. I have worked hard in my classes in undergrad to maintain an overall 3.867 at my liberal arts college. I have a 3.92 in my pre-med major and a 3.83 in my biochemistry major. I have a chemistry and Spanish minor as well. I have been studying Spanish for the last 7 years and have gotten pretty comfortable with it. I am a very outgoing individual and love working with people. My ECS and experiences include:
-being a lifeguard for 5 years
-research at school
-research at Loyola university this summer
-past camp counselor
-shadowed a few doctors for 50 hours
-scholarship chair and volunteer experiences within my sorority
-I volunteer for Young life Capernaum as a leader which is a christian group that works with teens with disabilities
-tutor general and organic chemistry and proctor freshmen chemistry lab
-honors program my freshmen year
-Relay For life- team mentor cochair past 3 years
-Part of the leadership academy at my school and went to conference at Disney

I applied to most of the Illinois schools (Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, SIU, UIC medical school), creighton in Nebraska, University of Ohio, Wisconsin medical school and university of Minnesota in the twin-cities

My question is, would I still have a good chance of getting in or would it be in my favor to still retake the MCAT 9/3/15 and go through with my applications this year with the credentials I stand at or wait until the next cycle and schedule my MCAT for a different date? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL. Whether it's other schools I should apply to or what I should do about my ECs or anything

You're circling the drain for MD schools, and are OK for DO schools. Apply broadly to the latter. I can't recommend LUCOM.
My issue with applying to DO schools is that I haven't shadowed any DO doctors and many schools want LOR from one while I only have one from an MD. I didn't study as much as I could have or do as many practice tests as I should have and have recently been diagnosed with adhd so I don't know if that would play a role in all of this. If i retook it in September would it be worth applying for this cycle?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is one that doesn't. Not all require DO LORs.

My issue with applying to DO schools is that I haven't shadowed any DO doctors and many schools want LOR from one while I only have one from an MD.

Not a good choice...this is a career-deciding, high stakes exam we're talking about.
I didn't study or do as many practice tests as I should have

You'll need to demonstrate academically that this won't be a hindrance in med school, or start preparing for the process of asking for accommodations once you matriculate.
and have recently been diagnosed with adhd so I don't know if that would play a role in all of this. If i retook it in September would it be worth applying for this cycle?

Mine is one that doesn't. Not all require DO LORs.

My issue with applying to DO schools is that I haven't shadowed any DO doctors and many schools want LOR from one while I only have one from an MD.

Not a good choice...this is a career-deciding, high stakes exam we're talking about.
I didn't study or do as many practice tests as I should have

You'll need to demonstrate academically that this won't be a hindrance in med school, or start preparing for the process of asking for accommodations once you matriculate.
and have recently been diagnosed with adhd so I don't know if that would play a role in all of this. If i retook it in September would it be worth applying for this cycle?

I heavily studied actually, but couldn't afford a class and had to do it on my own schedule. I think I knew a lot of thecontent, but what I really needed to do was practice tests, but it's hard when there's only one official 2015 exam out. Although this time around, I realized I could have taken the chem/physics/biol sections from old exams. I know it's a high stakes exam and I took it very seriously, but my response came out differently then I intended. I have succeeded this far in my academic career and life being undiagnosed with adhd, so I only hope to continue and put more time into studying and retake the MCAT. My only concern is still trying for '16 cycle or waiting a year. I appreciate your response though and thank you for taking time to respond.

Ahhh, you should do yourself some credit, even with your score...you did try!!!

I heavily studied actually, but couldn't afford a class and had to do it on my own schedule. I think I knew a lot of thecontent, but what I really needed to do was practice tests, but it's hard when there's only one official 2015 exam out. Although this time around, I realized I could have taken the chem/physics/biol sections from old exams. I know it's a high stakes exam and I took it very seriously, but my response came out differently then I intended. I have succeeded this far in my academic career and life being undiagnosed with adhd, so I only hope to continue and put more time into studying and retake the MCAT. My only concern is still trying for '16 cycle or waiting a year. I appreciate your response though and thank you for taking time to respond.

You would have a small chance for an interview at some of the newer MD schools such as Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan and California Northstate but realistically you should apply to at least 15 DO schools this month and submit all your secondaries by August.