3.86gpa, 30M (12PS,8Vr,10BS) Chance of UF and other places?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

padoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EC's: 3 years molecular bio reserarch (no pubs, ~25hrs/wk), hospice volunteer 3 years, shadowed hematologist (lab PI), 250hr clinical exp in oversea, VP of cultural organization, executive board for some clubs.

note: I'm a UF resident.

UF is my top choice!!! I'm an undergrad here and I love it. Also, any other MD school anyone thinks should be on the list? Please please please..Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
nonsci gpa: 3.9-ish
sci gpa: 3.7-ish

June18, first MCAT (30M) 12ps, 8vr, 10 bs

EC's: 3 years molecular bio reserarch (no pubs, ~25hrs/wk), hospice volunteer 3 years, shadowed hematologist (lab PI), 250hr clinical exp in oversea, VP of cultural organization, executive board for some clubs.

note: I'm a UF resident.

UF is my top choice!!! I'm an undergrad here and I love it. Also, any other MD school anyone thinks should be on the list? Please please please..Thank you!

Just got my MCAT scores back also and got a 29Q. From what I've heard with a good GPA and ECs you will have a decent shot at UF. It looks like you have both of those covered.

Are you a Florida resident? Because FSU's program while young is a very good one. Also UCF just started their own medical school. You can also try USF and UM.

I'm also an undergrad at UF and applying there as well! Good luck!

Go Gators! Also an undergrad here, just got my MCAT back today and hopefully will have a good shot at UF. Gooduck

Members don't see this ad :)
Go Gators! Also an undergrad here, just got my MCAT back today and hopefully will have a good shot at UF. Gooduck

How'd the MCAT wind up for you? I'm trying to see if I should retake it or not. I figure I have a competitive enough GPA and ECs to get in some places but we'll see. I'm just so confused!! AHH!

hey thanks all! more opinions? maybe retake mcat to be more sure of UF? arrggg the range of accepted score is so big I don't even know..

hey thanks all! more opinions? maybe retake mcat to be more sure of UF? arrggg the range of accepted score is so big I don't even know..

That's what I'm trying to figure out as well. My breakdown in MCAT is nearly identical to yours except I got an 11 on PS rather than a 12. I'm a little wary about applying with only an 8 as a verbal score. If you have good ECs and a GPA to back your app up plus a good Personal Statement I think you should be OK. UF likes taking people from their undergraduate so you have that going for you!

Edit: The only thing about retaking the MCAT is that if you have not submitted your primaries yet, it is a little late in the game to submit them once you get your MCAT scores in September. That's why I think I'm just going to end up applying with my scores.

That's what I'm trying to figure out as well. My breakdown in MCAT is nearly identical to yours except I got an 11 on PS rather than a 12. I'm a little wary about applying with only an 8 as a verbal score. If you have good ECs and a GPA to back your app up plus a good Personal Statement I think you should be OK. UF likes taking people from their undergraduate so you have that going for you!

Edit: The only thing about retaking the MCAT is that if you have not submitted your primaries yet, it is a little late in the game to submit them once you get your MCAT scores in September. That's why I think I'm just going to end up applying with my scores.

But I'm not sure whether to check this option in the primary that said you'll be "taking mcat in the future." Should we check it anyway and decide later? Mannn best luck to both of us Gators.. hopefully we'll be classmates 2014 :D

But I'm not sure whether to check this option in the primary that said you'll be "taking mcat in the future." Should we check it anyway and decide later? Mannn best luck to both of us Gators.. hopefully we'll be classmates 2014 :D

After a lot of agonizing and thinking today I decided to just go ahead and apply. If you decide to retake the MCAT, best of luck to you!

OP, I wouldn't retake. I think you have a great shot at UF as is, and the other FL schools. The only tough one for you would be Miami, I think.

Retaking would delay your application by an additional month or two - not worth it.

For more schools to apply to, look through NY, PA, VA, IL, and DC. There are many schools in these states you should consider - not the top tiers though.