MD 3.87/508 School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on this school list? I've been reading WAMC thread for years so I pretty much know the standard schools to apply to with my mediocre stats. I just wanted to double check and get feedback on what schools may or may not be worth applying to. Thanks!

-public state school/white male

sGPA: 3.87
cGPA: 3.87

MCAT (1/13/15): 27 (9/9/9) (61st percentile)
MCAT (4/1/16): 508 (126/124/129/129) (79th percentile)

Work/Activities:
- specialty coffee lead barista - provided company training and research at one of the leading specialty coffee companies in the nation. (My most meaningful event - relating to medicine in a creative way) ~ 1,300 hours
- 2x recipient of university wide (30,000+ students) scholarship
- shadowing in orthopedic surgery and family medicine ~ 600 hours total
- nurse's aid at local orthopedic clinic full-time summer after freshman year ~ 350 hours
- clinical research in family medicine dept. - volunteer on two different projects. One poster presentation (3rd author). Original research project on inner city adolescent nutrition (not published) ~ 120 hours
- hospital volunteer at level 1 trauma center ~ 25 hours
- volunteer with hispanic after school program - tutoring, mentoring, and ESL training ~ 60 hours
- volunteer at ancestral health symposium (3 day conference) ~ 20 hours
- non-clinical volunteering - slew of different events all focussed on improving community health/environment of my city (Tree Campus USA plantings, homeless shelter, park renovations) ~ 50 hours
- president of honors student organization for two years - peer mentoring and grab bag of volunteer events included ~ 150 hours in planning, meetings, events etc.
- honors college ambassador (face of HC at my school. volunteering and networking events) ~ 50 hours
- un-paid tutor for general and organic chemistry (30+ students) ~ 500 hours

Top schools are those who are affiliated or have special focus on underserved communities.

Reach:
- BU
- Emory
- USC - top choice
- Einstein
- Icahn

Range:
- MCG (in state)
- Mercer (in state)
- FIU
- Wake Forest
- EVMS
- Temple
- Georgetown
- GW
- Thomas Jefferson
- Tulane
- MCW
- UVM
- U of Cinn
- PCOM - GA
- WesternU

Safety:
- no such thing

Members don't see this ad.

FIU accepts few OOS applicants with your MCAT scores. Otherwise your list is good but your MCAT is low for your reaches (which is why they are reaches). If you want to add more MD schools where you have a chance for an interview consider these:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Albany
Drexel
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton

Members don't see this ad :)
This is interesting. What is your source behind this?
I have found this to be the case, as well. The CA applicants accepted to FIU were fair to good CA candidates at the top of the MCAT range for FIU. Maybe they look at GA differently, though.

Of your reaches, Einstein looks good.

I have found this to be the case, as well. The CA applicants accepted to FIU were fair to good CA candidates at the top of the MCAT range for FIU. Maybe they look at GA differently, though.

Of your reaches, Einstein looks good.
Thanks for chiming in @gyngyn !
Ok, this is good enough reason to take FIU off of my list.

Phew, the MCAT is truly the great divide isn't it? I put over 1,000 hours in for that 508... blows my mind other students are capable of.
Anyway, you really think Einstein is reasonable? From their website and mission statement it looks like research is a top priority for them. I am lacking some basic science research. Do you think my experience with clinical research is noticeable enough?

I suggest:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Any DO program, starting with PCOM-GA, VCOM-SC and CUSOM
CUNY Med (maybe)
MCG
Mercer

Thanks for chiming in @gyngyn !
Ok, this is good enough reason to take FIU off of my list.

Phew, the MCAT is truly the great divide isn't it? I put over 1,000 hours in for that 508... blows my mind other students are capable of.
Anyway, you really think Einstein is reasonable? From their website and mission statement it looks like research is a top priority for them. I am lacking some basic science research. Do you think my experience with clinical research is noticeable enough?
It's your best reach on the list.