MD 3.88 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 37 MCAT - help with school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loracmyk23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a CT resident. I'm in the honors program at a mid-tier state school. I want to go into primary care in underserved/global populations... my PS was super focused on service, teamwork, etc.

ECs
~300 hours research, no pubs, working on a thesis
~75 hours shadowing across 4 specialties
~300 hours dedicated to a community-service oriented club. On the executive board for 2 years, VP for next year
~500+ hours of service in a hospital, teaching health topics in underserved areas, volunteering at elementary schools, teaching english, mentoring freshmen, etc.
I worked as a nanny for two summers
Last summer & this summer I've been a lifeguard/"aquatics instructor"
I studied abroad for a semester & had two jobs teaching english while abroad. I speak French pretty well (not as well as I would like haha)

Here's the list, but I'm worried I'm aiming a little too high.
Creighton
Eastern VA
UConn
Albert Einstein
Wake Forest
U of Rochester
Brown
Dartmouth
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Baylor
UC San Francisco
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Duke

Thanks! Also, if any of these schools are known for having a super competitive/aggressive student body please let me know because I don't want to be there.

Members don't see this ad.

You're not aiming too high, you have a great application; you can afford to add more upper tier schools if you wanted. Look into a couple more mid tiers as well, since some of your schools have in-state bias (OHSU, Wisconsin).

But just to clarify, your hospital volunteering involved some sort of patient contact correct?

You're not aiming too high, you have a great application; you can afford to add more upper tier schools if you wanted. Look into a couple more mid tiers as well, since some of your schools have in-state bias (OHSU, Wisconsin).

But just to clarify, your hospital volunteering involved some sort of patient contact correct?

Yeah- 3 hrs/wk for a year

I'm struggling a little with mid-tier because I haven't found any that I've really loved. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about adding Michigan and UNC but I'm not sure if I have a shot at either of them...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah- 3 hrs/wk for a year

I'm struggling a little with mid-tier because I haven't found any that I've really loved. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about adding Michigan and UNC but I'm not sure if I have a shot at either of them...

Michigan isn't middle tier by any means, it's a tough school to get into but you have a shot with your numbers.

UNC tends to favor NC residents so unless you really have a compelling reason to attend, I'd pass.

If you use the USNWR rankings, look through 20-50 and find private schools you like in the 32-35 MCAT range.

Michigan isn't middle tier by any means, it's a tough school to get into but you have a shot with your numbers.

UNC tends to favor NC residents so unless you really have a compelling reason to attend, I'd pass.

If you use the USNWR rankings, look through 20-50 and find private schools you like in the 32-35 MCAT range.

Hahaha omg by no means do I think Michigan is mid-tier. I'm just thinking about adding it in general. I might take out Eastern VA. It's really expensive...

Nothing wrong with aiming high!

Goro suggests:

UConn
Albert Einstein
U of Rochester
Brown
Dartmouth
Ohio State
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Duke
NYU