3.88 GPA, possibly retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TorpedoVegas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wanted a quick opinion regarding my MCAT and my chances for having as many choices as possible.
Please read below for my long-winded explanation... lol :)

3.88 GPA (3.86 sGPA)
B.S. Biology, B.A. Chemistry, minor in Philosophy in progress
Research assistant for 1 year (~400 hrs), research fellowship at a top medical center this summer
~60 hours clinical volunteer experience in hospital with in-patient care
~40 hours shadowing
Multiple other volunteer activities around 100 hours total
Tutor for biology, chemistry, and physics courses at campus tutoring center for 2.5 years
Significant leadership roles in fraternity, pre-med honor society, freshman honor society

MCAT: 34T; 12 PS / 11 BS / 11 VR

I hope this post doesn't seem obnoxious. The main reason I'm asking is because my girlfriend is applying to law schools at the same time and we are both focusing on the top 20 respective programs and really trying to end up in the same place. We are applying to other schools as well, but obviously a higher tier would be preferable. Both of our records are strong but I want to do everything in my power to increase my chances to get accepted many places and improve our chances of ending up at the same place... long winded sentence.

I had been scoring higher on the practice tests (36-39 with very even subscores from 12-14) so I was a bit disappointed with my actual score (pleasantly surprised with the writing score; if only it meant a little more!). I took the test at the end of an extremely busy week of school and work and was probably pretty drained and not quite focused. So, I'm thinking it would be quite possible for me to score higher if I take the test again in July.

My main concern is that the score is below the median for many of the schools that I'm gunning for, and also that my clinical experience is not as extensive as I'd like (I didn't have a car at college for the first two years, so shadowing/clinical volunteering was next to impossible in this city).

So, the basic question: retake, or no?

Thanks so much to anyone who will spare any advice. :) Sorry for the long-winded soap opera post. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really don't think you should retake. You are either at or 1 point below the average MCAT for the top programs if that is really what you have your heart set on. Consider that if you do retake, you could potentially get a lower score, and you will also be complete later at your schools (taking the MCAT in July = won't be complete and won't get secondaries until August, when people are already starting to interview)

Thank you for the advice, Ismet. That's mainly what I was thinking, in terms of the new scores not completing the app until later. I'll just stick to what I've got then, and get my TMDSAS out in a few days and my AMCAS out as soon as I can click that submit button.

I guess more than anything it's disappointing to get a score that is lower than expected---but, I guess we're always our own worst critics. :)

Thanks again for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rather than focusing on attending the same institution, you might consider limiting your applications to cities where multiple law and medical programs (with variable levels of selectivity) exist within the city limits or nearby.

Thank you, I think that's a great idea. Luckily Duke and UNC Chapel Hill, as well as multiple schools within New York, as well as a few others, fall into that category. I'll look a bit more into it and find some more that fit that profile. That's definitely something I'll look into and talk about with her as well. Thanks! :)

And don't forget Chicago.

Absolutely. After your advice Chicago was one of the areas that I looked at; I added Chicago, Northwestern, and Rush to my list, which range from very selective to slightly less.
Thanks again for the advice. I feel much more at ease after revising my list a bit. :thumbup: