3.885 cGPA, 36Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LINK1290

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.885 cGPA
36Q (14-10-12) MCAT

Some additional information:

-I was accepted to a competitive academy at the University of North Texas during high school, so I essentially started college two years early and had 75 credit hours + my high school diploma before turning 17

-I researched in two labs: one was over a summer term three years ago and one was this last semester. I haven't been published, but I did do a poster presentation on my first project

-100 hours ER volunteering

-40 hours volunteering at a clinic

-about 100 hours of shadowing various public health professionals and physicians

-a handful of leadership positions in student organizations

-pianist of 15 years (lots of volunteering as a performer at nursing homes, etc.)

-100+ hours miscellaneous volunteering

Schools applied at via AMCAS:
Harvard Medical School
Baylor College of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

Schools applied at via TMDSAS:
Texas A&M HSC-College of Medicine
Texas Tech HSC School of Medicine at Lubbock
Texas Tech HSC-Paul L. Foster SOM at El Paso
UT Houston Medical School
UT Medical Branch at Galveston
UT School of Medicine at San Antonio
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas

Any thoughts, particularly about my chances with respect to the AMCAS schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats are very nice.

All your AMCAS schools are research giants. Having only two unrelated semesters of research experience may hurt you at those schools. Fortunately, your state schools should love you. Yeah, for cheap in-state tuition!

Fifteen years of active engagement in being a pianist will help you stand out, and I particularly like how you used your involvement in that artistic endeavor to provide community service.

All your AMCAS schools are research giants. Having only two unrelated semesters of research experience may hurt you at those schools. Fortunately, your state schools should love you. Yeah, for cheap in-state tuition!

Fifteen years of active engagement in being a pianist will help you stand out, and I particularly like how you used your involvement in that artistic endeavor to provide community service.

Thanks for your opinion. One thing kills me about my GPA, though: I had a 4.0 GPA in my freshman, junior, and senior years of college, but my sophomore year was plagued by three B's and a C among the A's. That C was in Multivariable Calculus... I wish I had known at the time that the class would end up useless anyway. :mad: A GPA over 3.9 would have been a little more aesthetically pleasing.

About the research, I hear you. I mentioned in my application that my current lab has offered me a two-semester project to tackle on my own. I'm beginning that project this fall. I know they won't give much weight to something that hasn't happened yet (if at all), but at least it's out there.

EDIT: One thing about my research over the last semester. I wasn't named in the publication, but I did mention in my application that I gathered a good amount of data that helped my lab directors in writing their publication. Not the same thing as having my name on the front page, but at least I was involved somehow :laugh:

:oops:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your opinion. One thing kills me about my GPA, though: I had a 4.0 GPA in my freshman, junior, and senior years of college, but my sophomore year was plagued by three B's and a C among the A's. That C was in Multivariable Calculus... I wish I had known at the time that the class would end up useless anyway. :mad: A GPA over 3.9 would have been a little more aesthetically pleasing.

About the research, I hear you. I mentioned in my application that my current lab has offered me a two-semester project to tackle on my own. I'm beginning that project this fall. I know they won't give much weight to something that hasn't happened yet (if at all), but at least it's out there.

EDIT: One thing about my research over the last semester. I wasn't named in the publication, but I did mention in my application that I gathered a good amount of data that helped my lab directors in writing their publication. Not the same thing as having my name on the front page, but at least I was involved somehow :laugh:

Not as useless as you might think: Harvard's HST program REQUIRES mathematics up to and including differential equations. Multivariable calculus is usually a prerequisite for differential equations.

Source: http://hst.mit.edu/servlet/ControllerServlet?handler=PublicHandler&action=browse&pageId=103

No one really cares haha, a 3.885 and 3.90 are the same thing to adcom. They will, however, care why soph year sucked (relatively), so just make sure you have a humble, yet meaningful explanation for your interviews.

No one really cares haha, a 3.885 and 3.90 are the same thing to adcom. They will, however, care why soph year sucked (relatively), so just make sure you have a humble, yet meaningful explanation for your interviews.

Haha, nice to hear that first part ;)

I don't really have an elaborate explanation for my grade dip during that year. It was honestly just because of my relatively underdeveloped study habits and my refusal to change them (I was a know-it-all 16-year-old at the time, after all), even after getting two B's in the fall semester. That C in the spring really slapped the stubborn out of me, so to speak.

What do those who've posted in this thread so far (and those who haven't) think about my chances with the AMCAS schools I applied to? I think I'd be happy to get into at least four, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. Can anyone provide me with some perspective?

Haha, nice to hear that first part ;)

hahaha im meannnn sorry!!!

I don't really have an elaborate explanation for my grade dip during that year. It was honestly just because of my relatively underdeveloped study habits and my refusal to change them, even after getting two B's in the fall semester. That C in the spring really slapped the stubborn out of me, so to speak.

This is actually a good explanation, lol. Of course, have some better word choice in mind. :p

What do those who've posted in this thread so far (and those who haven't) think about my chances with the AMCAS schools I applied to? I think I'd be happy to get into at least four, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. Can anyone provide me with some perspective?

I think you might get 4 interviews, not 4 acceptances. Just an honest opinion.

On the contrary; I'd rather hear that than "Yeah, too bad you don't have a 3.9. Now you'll never get in." :p

Thanks for the honesty. Obviously I hope you're wrong, but it's good to get some objective opinions. ;)

On the contrary; I'd rather hear that than "Yeah, too bad you don't have a 3.9. Now you'll never get in." :p

Thanks for the honesty. Obviously I hope you're wrong, but it's good to hear some objectivity. ;)

heheh you are a nice boy (assuming boy since you are named after a little boy in a green cloak). i hope the interviewers think so too! :luck::xf:

heheh you are a nice boy (assuming boy since you are named after a little boy in a green cloak). i hope the interviewers think so too! :luck::xf:

More of a tunic than a cloak ;)

But thanks for the nice words!

Hopefully some other users have encouraging things to say, as well.

More of a tunic than a cloak ;)

But thanks for the nice words!

Hopefully some other users have encouraging things to say, as well.

tunic cloak - tomato tomahto

i never got to play those zelda games. i just know him from super smash! he does that raaaaaAHHHHHHH thing when he spins around haha. i was playing today since my bf dug up his old n64 for me!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I actually have a question about this. Why are the big-name research schools so concerned about finding students with a lot of research under their belt, even if the students are applying for the M.D.-only track? Do M.D. students do research during medical school, or is there something more obvious that I'm missing here?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have a question about this. Why are the big-name research schools so concerned about finding students with a lot of research under their belt, even if the students are applying for the M.D.-only track? Do M.D. students do research during medical school, or is there something more obvious that I'm missing here?

Almost all the schools at that level offer research electives, and certainly encourage students to be involved in research. Those that decide to remain involved in research generally have past research experience that they enjoyed and found rewarding. After all, being an MD, you can certainly still have research as part of your career. This is of particular interest to the schools because in the future, successful research means getting grants, say, from the NIH. When someone gets a grant, the university gets a nice, healthy cut of the money. And remember, the US World News Rankings thing is based on research earning of a given school.

I just re-read that and realized it is not a very good explanation. But I'm tired and I don't feel like changing it lol. Hopefully it makes some sense??

Almost all the schools at that level offer research electives, and certainly encourage students to be involved in research. Those that decide to remain involved in research generally have past research experience that they enjoyed and found rewarding. After all, being an MD, you can certainly still have research as part of your career. This is of particular interest to the schools because in the future, successful research means getting grants, say, from the NIH. When someone gets a grant, the university gets a nice, healthy cut of the money. And remember, the US World News Rankings thing is based on research earning of a given school.

I just re-read that and realized it is not a very good explanation. But I'm tired and I don't feel like changing it lol. Hopefully it makes some sense??

It absolutely makes sense. Thanks yet again. :)

By the way, to anyone else out there, I still anxiously await any other feedback as far as my chances with AMCAS schools go. :D

It absolutely makes sense. Thanks yet again. :)

By the way, to anyone else out there, I still anxiously await any other feedback as far as my chances with AMCAS schools go. :D

haha sure. You already got me and Mobius. I think the only other regulars are Stratego, redlight, and canjosh. See if they stop by :)

This is actually a good explanation, lol. Of course, have some better word choice in mind. :p

Four interviews is ridiculous, a 3.89 GPA and a 36 MCAT will get him interviews at most of his state schools and probably 3-4 of the AMCAS schools he listed. The other thing to consider, which is a large factor, is that you're very young for medical school. I wouldn't be surprised if most, if not all, of your interviewers asked you to explain why you think you're mature enough for medical school. I suspect the reason you would get lower than expected interviews would be due to your low age (16 in sophomore year would make you 17-18 now, right?).

Hey, best of luck! I think your AMCAS schools will call into question your C, as well as limited research.

Four interviews is ridiculous, a 3.89 GPA and a 36 MCAT will get him interviews at most of his state schools and probably 3-4 of the AMCAS schools he listed. The other thing to consider, which is a large factor, is that you're very young for medical school. I wouldn't be surprised if most, if not all, of your interviewers asked you to explain why you think you're mature enough for medical school. I suspect the reason you would get lower than expected interviews would be due to your low age (16 in sophomore year would make you 17-18 now, right?).

Well, I just finished my fourth year of college, and I'm planning on graduating this December. I'm 19 right now, and I'll be 20 by the time I begin medical school next fall. I realize I'm about two years younger than the typical applicant, but I was hoping that schools would view my early entry to college as a testament to my initiative, not as a handicap.

Last edited:

These are his AMCAS schools:

Harvard Medical School
Baylor College of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

I was saying 4 interviews from here, just as you said 3-4. He asked about his AMCAS schools, not state. Hence, 4 interviews in my opinion :)

Of course he will get plenty of attention from instate. And yes age is a factor, but he should be able to get around that.

Well, I just finished my fourth year of college, and I'm planning on graduating this December. I'm 19 right now, and I'll be 20 by the time I begin medical school next fall. I realize I'm about two years younger than the typical applicant, but I was hoping that schools would view my early entry to college as a testament to my initiative, not as a handicap.

Works both ways in this cruel world. lol

Tonight I found out that browsing mdapplicants.com is a pretty good way to depress yourself. :(

I find it increasingly hard to believe that there are so many instances where people with

-3.97 GPA
-39 MCAT
-all the extracurriculars and research in the world

...get rejected consistently from the majority of top tier schools they apply to. I'm beginning to wonder why the average stats of matriculants at those schools aren't 4.0 GPA and 43 MCAT. How is it that the averages, instead, are 3.8-3.9 GPA and 35-36 MCAT? Is luck really THAT big of a factor in getting admitted? I mean, I know that there are more to applicants than numbers, but you'd think that an applicant with godly stats well above the purported averages would know how to conduct himself or herself in a bloody interview.

Meh. I know nobody gets in EVERYWHERE, but I get more discouraged every day--especially with my two measly semesters of relatively humble research.

Last edited:
Tonight I found out that browsing mdapplicants.com is a pretty good way to depress yourself. :(

I find it increasingly hard to believe that there are so many instances where people with

-3.97 GPA
-39 MCAT

...get rejected consistently from the majority of top tier schools they apply to. I'm beginning to wonder why the average stats of matriculants at those schools aren't 4.0 GPA and 43 MCAT. How is it that the averages, instead, are 3.8-3.9 GPA and 35-36 MCAT? Is luck really THAT big of a factor in getting admitted? I mean, I know that there are more to applicants than numbers, but you'd think that an applicant with godly stats well above the purported averages would know how to conduct himself or herself in a bloody interview.

Meh. I know nobody gets in EVERYWHERE, but I get more discouraged every day--especially with my two measly semesters of relatively humble research.

The applicants with great numbers probably bombed at the interviews.

It's better to have a 3.7 GPA and a 33-36 MCAT and be confident and sociable than have perfect numbers and be an introvert who has difficulty working on a team under a lot of pressure.

-3.97 GPA
-39 MCAT

Not to say this doesn't happen, but it is also true that some people make fake MDApps just for fun. And, students have a tendency to blow up their numbers a bit. So take everything you see with a grain of salt.

Hey man

I think you'll do great this application cycle. Just from your posts, you come across as a humble and motivated person, and I'm sure it comes through in your application as well. Maturity isn't necessarily earned with age- I'm in a fraternity and know this fact all too well :)

And...yeah don't be afraid of those ridiculous numbers- people tend to fabricate stats on mdapps. Anyway good luck and let your passion overflow at interviews!

Link,
You should be fine! I would think you'll get a lot of love from the TX schools and definitely some from the AMCAS as well. And don't worry too much about the age - it also makes you stand out, which in the sea of applicants is a good thing. As long as you come off as mature in interviews, I doubt it will be a problem (and this is coming from an ancient, 30yr old nontrad).
Good luck!

Hey man

I think you'll do great this application cycle. Just from your posts, you come across as a humble and motivated person, and I'm sure it comes through in your application as well. Maturity isn't necessarily earned with age- I'm in a fraternity and know this fact all too well :)

And...yeah don't be afraid of those ridiculous numbers- people tend to fabricate stats on mdapps. Anyway good luck and let your passion overflow at interviews!

Link,
You should be fine! I would think you'll get a lot of love from the TX schools and definitely some from the AMCAS as well. And don't worry too much about the age - it also makes you stand out, which in the sea of applicants is a good thing. As long as you come off as mature in interviews, I doubt it will be a problem (and this is coming from an ancient, 30yr old nontrad).
Good luck!

Thank you both for your kind words. I hope you guys are right. ;)

Last edited:

Last edited: