3.89 GPA 33P MCAT Need Application Assistance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breakwithhate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate student who is currently applying to medical school, and up until two days ago, I wasn't even considering applying out of state. A friend of mine told me I have the scores necessary to be applying to better schools, and told me to look for advice on this forum.

I am a Texas resident, and have currently applied to all the Texas allopathic schools (Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tech at El Paso, UTMB, UT Houston, UT San Antonio, and UT Southwestern). Once I submit my AMCAS, I'm applying to Baylor as well, but I am holding back from submitting my AMCAS until I figure out which out of state schools I want to apply to.

I don't want to shoot out of my range, as up until now I've been scared ****less about even getting into a Texas school. Based upon a preliminary amount of research, I am currently considering applying to Northwestern, UC Davis, and UC Irvine. I am looking to have a total of 8 out of state medical schools, and figured this would be a good place to get advice on additional schools I should apply to, as well as whether the three I've been looking at may not be a match.

The main reason I need help, is that even though my scores may match some schools, I believe I am lacking when it comes to my extracurriculars and my hospital experience, which may mean certain schools my scores may match may not fit my extracurriculars...so please take into account a slightly lower than average amount of extracurricular activity...

Thanks for all the help, sorry for the long entry.

On a side note, I'm looking to submit my AMCAS soon, so all help I can get, as soon as possible, will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I'd suggest submitting your AMCAS primary ASAP. No need to wait. You can add schools at any time for $30/pop with no delay or impact on your processing/verification. Since you know you want to apply to Baylor, just submit it with that school only, and add schools later. Once you add a school, it should get sent to the school within a day. It's the verification process that can take a while, so better to get your app in line now than wait.

So, you say you have minimal clinical experience. Does that mean none? And what types of ECs do you have? Research? Volunteering? That info will definitely help. Also, any geographic preference outside TX?

Thanks for the advice, I actually didn't know you could add schools as you go, I'll definitely turn in my AMCAS asap.

I don't really have a geographic preference, but as far as medical experience goes, here's the list:

1 month Volunteering at a Hospital in India (5 days a week, 40 hours a week)
1 month doing hospital rotations - went through every department (4 days a week, 20 hours a week)
2 months volunteering at a local hospital, approximately a total of 20 hours
16 hours shadowing a doctor (not significant, I know)

My other ECs:
8 weeks conducting research (40 hrs a week)
1 school year as a Biology TA (5 hrs a week)
1 school year as volunteer middle school tutor (2 hours a month)
1 school year as a volunteer high school tutor (2 hours a month)
1 school year volunteering for fundraising activities (2 hours a month)
1 school year volunteering to play with and care for children at a day care (2 hours a month)
2 school years as Media Services Employee at my school
Active member for multiple clubs
Talent Show Participant and assistant for other major events for 4 years
Participant in Intramural basketball for 2 years

Thanks for ALL the help beforehand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started doing some research of my own and have decided to apply to Yeshiva University (Einstein), University of Iowa and Tufts University.
Any additional suggestions and any reason to not apply to those schools would be highly valued by me.

Last edited:
I continue to update my application list, as I'm conducting research using a Princeton Review's Best 168 Medical Schools and trying to find medical schools that I will be compatible with, and I think that most of these match my statistics as well.

I am looking for any help to add schools to my application list, as well as help in eliminating schoools that may be unnecessary to apply to.

Einstein
U of Iowa
Tufts U
U of Rochester
U of Cincinnati
OHSU (Oregon Health and Science University)
Georgetown U
Creighton U

and all Texas schools as listed above

Any and all help will be grealy appreciated. I was also wondering if my application is strong enough to be a top tier school applicant.

Last edited:
I live in the same town and Creighton U so if you have questions about the city or even the campus I can help.

Awesome, thanks a lot.
And I like the scrubs avy lol

Yeah defiantly, scrubs is awesome.

But theres a lot to say about Omaha and Creighton. Let me first say the atmosphere is laid back, and this is issued by the school administration. For instance they are or there is (I can't remember if its built yet) a bar on campus this is for many reasons, some of which include reducing drunk driving, having a relaxing student environment, and they encourage relaxing (I mean of course in moderation, no med school will say relax don't study Creighton just doesn't want you to drown your self in your studies). The campus is in the middle of the inner city, which may make you cringe but I assure you traffic is great it flows and rarely do you stop for more that 30-60 seconds. Our weather has four full seasons but in the summer it gets in the upper 90s and gets close to negatives in the winter. This means there will be snow in the winter but I would say it snows about 5 times a winter which is not a lot. I recommend student housing, but if you plan to get an apartment I would look west. And the last thing I can think of off the top of my head is down town we have this place called the old market, what it's a collection of shops and restaurants that has an old town vibe its very nice. But the old market is close to the main public library downtown which is wonderful, the employees are very helpful and its never to busy. If you have any other questions about Omaha or Creighton feel free to ask or befriend me and send me PMs when you want.

Wow that's a lot of good information. I read in the Princeton book I have the students there stick together and stuff, and all the information you just gave me just makes it more attractive. Thanks a lot. I think I'll definitely leave Creighton on that list.

You sound like a kid with a lot of heart and a great attitude. I give you a 10/10 and think you can get in anywhere as long as you set your mind to it.

Wow, thanks a lot. That means a lot, I've been getting increasingly nervous as I research schools and talk to students who are in med school right now.

Get your hands on a copy of the MSAR if you don't already have one, it will show you how many out of state people a school will take. I think that the UC schools are relatively difficult to crack as an OOS applicant, you might want to save your $$ and apply to other schools which accept more OOS'ers.

Nah man don't worry about it. As long as you keep your moment arm straight and stay away from derf, you should be fine.

Yeah defiantly, scrubs is awesome.

But theres a lot to say about Omaha and Creighton. Let me first say the atmosphere is laid back, and this is issued by the school administration. For instance they are or there is (I can't remember if its built yet) a bar on campus this is for many reasons, some of which include reducing drunk driving, having a relaxing student environment, and they encourage relaxing (I mean of course in moderation, no med school will say relax don't study Creighton just doesn't want you to drown your self in your studies). The campus is in the middle of the inner city, which may make you cringe but I assure you traffic is great it flows and rarely do you stop for more that 30-60 seconds. Our weather has four full seasons but in the summer it gets in the upper 90s and gets close to negatives in the winter. This means there will be snow in the winter but I would say it snows about 5 times a winter which is not a lot. I recommend student housing, but if you plan to get an apartment I would look west. And the last thing I can think of off the top of my head is down town we have this place called the old market, what it's a collection of shops and restaurants that has an old town vibe its very nice. But the old market is close to the main public library downtown which is wonderful, the employees are very helpful and its never to busy. If you have any other questions about Omaha or Creighton feel free to ask or befriend me and send me PMs when you want.

Ditto, I'm going to be an M1 at Creighton in the fall.

Why don't you apply to OOS upper tier schools? Texas has plenty of middle tier schools so I do not think that you need to apply to any out of state.

metalhead and dedikated: I'm just curious - do you get the impression that you need ties to Creighton to get in? In another thread I'd suggested Creighton to an applicant, and someone else (abcabc1) said they thought you need ties. Any thoughts on that? I just wouldn't want to be suggesting people check out Creighton if they have a strong preference for regional, religious or otherwise "connected" applicants. Thanks.

That's interesting...I guess maybe I should reconsider Creighton then...

Okay well I finally submitted my AMCAS application today,
I applied to the following schools:
Albert Einstein
Baylor
Boston University
Mayo
Weill College of Medicine (Cornell)

Good post, I have a very similar set of stats to yours. 33R mcat and 3.9gpa. I have alot of the same out of state picks, cornell, Einstein as well. Thanks for posting.

What are my chances in NC and OOS 12ps 9vr 11bs P.... 3.97BCPM and 3.95 CUM