Quantcast

3.89 GPA/519 MCAT school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ikzencriel

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some input on my school list here.

cGPA: 3.93
sGPA: 3.89
My GPA is 4.0 in both cGPA and sGPA past freshman year, if that matters.
Masters GPA (Does this matter)?: 4.0
MCAT: 519
Research: 5 years hs/undergrad, way too many hours (~3000), 2 published papers in nat'l journals, 1 in submission, 1 in press (accepted)
(3rd/4th authors, one on 20+ author Neuron paper)

Volunteer Hrs:
140 hospital (clinical/medical)
260 community volunteering (hospice, food pantry, prison reform, etc.)
152 First Aid/EMR (clinical/medical)
207 red cross volunteer/board head
170 hr tutoring/teaching aide (I don't charge, so I count it under volunteer)

Shadowing: 80 hrs (about 65 cardio, 15 neuro)

List (no order):

1) Baylor
2) Boston University
3) Columbia University
4) Duke University
5) Harvard
6) JHU
7) Mayo
8) Northwestern
9) Oakland (safety)
10) Stanford
11) UC Davis
12) UC LA
13) UC SF
14) UChicago
15) UofI
16) UMich
17) UNC
18) Uwash
19) WUSTL
20) Wayne State (safety)
21) Western Michigan University
22) Yale

3 Years Bachelors/1 Years Masters (Accelerated from 4/2) from a T20 undergrad school

Please let me first say that I appreciate ANY and ALL feedback.

That being said, the questions first and foremost on my mind are: do I need to add more safety schools? If so, what range should I be looking for on GPA/MCAT?

Do I have a good mix of reach/target/safety schools? If not, where can I improve on this?

Thanks a bunch for all your feedback!

Last edited:
D

deleted972488

There’s no such thing as a safety school.

Are you a CA resident? If so, add UCSD.

UWash takes very few non-WWAMI residents.

UNC, Baylor take few OOS.

You should add more schools like Einstein, Rochester, Sinai, USC, USF, Miami, Hofstra.

Ikzencriel

Reaction score
There’s no such thing as a safety school.

Are you a CA resident? If so, add UCSD.

UWash takes very few non-WWAMI residents.

UNC, Baylor take few OOS.

You should add more schools like Einstein, Rochester, Sinai, USC, USF, Miami, Hofstra.

Thanks for the reply!

By safety I just mean under-target, not that it's going to be a guarantee.

Not a California resident, Michigan resident -- there are just very few med schools here.

Thanks for the note on UWash, I can remove them. I want to keep UNC because it's supposed to be really good for primary care, same for Baylor. Do you think it's not worth it for that?

How many more schools do you think would be good to add?

D

deleted972488

Thanks for the reply!

By safety I just mean under-target, not that it's going to be a guarantee.

Not a California resident, Michigan resident -- there are just very few med schools here.

Thanks for the note on UWash, I can remove them. I want to keep UNC because it's supposed to be really good for primary care, same for Baylor. Do you think it's not worth it for that?

How many more schools do you think would be good to add?

You’d be better off replacing the under-targets with more targets. Being too high above their stats will actually work against you. Since you’re not a CA resident, definitely remove UC Davis. The number of schools is fine, just target a little better. Keep all your instate schools though.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UC Davis only matriculates 1 to 3 non residents per year. You should have all your state schools on your list: Michigan State, Central Michigan.

Reactions: 1 user

Ikzencriel

Reaction score
You’d be better off replacing the under-targets with more targets. Being too high above their stats will actually work against you. Since you’re not a CA resident, definitely remove UC Davis. The number of schools is fine, just target a little better. Keep all your instate schools though.

Thanks again!

I guess my confusion is moreso what counts as target vs under-target. When I looked stuff up, it said that target was if you're within 3 points of their median MCAT and .2 of their median GPA. Wouldn't that be most med schools though? Is that metric outdated? Also will do on UC Davis, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user