3.8c/3.7s 26 MCAT Texas URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXHopeful2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances, just as is stated in the title, for a Texas MD school with a 26 (10/8/8) MCAT and a 3.8c/3.7s GPA? I'm URM if that means anything.

EC:
Research for 2 years
4 first author posters and 6 second-fourth author posters
Possibly a publication on the way
100 hours of shadowing
Been teaching 1-8 graders science at a school for a year (Once every other week, 50+ hours)
Lots of clinical and non clinical volunteering (over 500+ hours)

I know my MCAT is very low, but I'm just wondering what other peoples opinions are about my chances. I have talked to some people already, including my pre-med advisors who are on the committee and they all say I should go ahead and apply since I have a decent shot. Does anyone else think I do? Or should I stop being so optimistic?

Thanks a lot everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sadly, being a URM does really help. As a Texas resdent non URM, I can't tell you for certain how much being a URM will help you low mcat score. You would be pretty solid for DO. You may need to consider retaking the mcat because the rest of your stats are spot on.

Yeah, you should really look into retaking the MCAT.

I'm from Texas and am an URM too. When I retook the test, my score jumped from 30 to 35, so I am sure you can do a lot better!

Good luck. And a good tip for studying that I used was to use Berkeley Review Books for the Physical Sciences (Chem and Physics) and Orgo sections and Exam Krackers for the Biology Material. And EK 101 Verbal is top notch.

For lots of practice materials, look into buying the TPR Hyperlearning Books. They have TONS of great practice material.

Good luck, I know you can improve alot :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What are my chances, just as is stated in the title, for a Texas MD school with a 26 (10/8/8) MCAT and a 3.8c/3.7s GPA? I'm URM if that means anything.

EC:
Research for 2 years
4 first author posters and 6 second-fourth author posters
Possibly a publication on the way
100 hours of shadowing
Been teaching 1-8 graders science at a school for a year (Once every other week, 50+ hours)
Lots of clinical and non clinical volunteering (over 500+ hours)

I know my MCAT is very low, but I'm just wondering what other peoples opinions are about my chances. I have talked to some people already, including my pre-med advisors who are on the committee and they all say I should go ahead and apply since I have a decent shot. Does anyone else think I do? Or should I stop being so optimistic?

Thanks a lot everyone :)

Do yourself a favor and retake, even if it means delaying your application. You have a strong application otherwise and I wouldnt waste it by having the mcat hold you back. If you retake it and do well, you'll have a good chance at getting into a great MD school, maybe even some scholarship money.

You can get great MCAT advice from the MCAT subforum. I remember really liking the Berkeley review for physical sciences and EK for verbal and bio. Whatever you do, just do lots of practice questions. I think Kaplan gives you access to lots of qs.

There's a chart on the TMDAS site showing acceptance rates for students with various MCAT scores. Last time I checked, the matriculation rates for the public MD schools (so not Baylor or UNT) were:

35+ 45.5%
34-35 47.6%
32-33 45.4%
30-31 47.8%
28-29 44.4%
26-27 37.4%
24-25 24.8%
22-23 17.0%

So you can see that your 26 is a problem, but not an insurmountable one, especially since your GPA and ECs are strong and you're URM. A better MCAT would help though, it you're up to a retake.