This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I apply to UCSanDiego and UCSF?

• yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • depends on MCAT

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

markelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am applying this cycle, with approval from my pre-med advisor. I am a Maryland resident with my top choices at UMD, UVA, UCSanDiego, UCSF, and George Washington.
I know California favors in state applicants, but I want to know the chances of me getting into UCSanDiego and UCSF as OOS applicant. I have family in these areas I can live with, and I would like to go to the West Coast!

21 y/o, African American female, first generation college student, community college transfer student, graduating this May.
GPA: 3.8c ; 3.69s
MCAT: taking on June 1st, but what should be my target?!!!
Clinical:
1 month of phlebotomy training and measuring vital signs
2 years ophthalmology medical technician (10-50hrs/week) depending on summer/winter break
Research:
1 year of research (actually two semesters Jan2016-Dec2016, omit summer break)
2 poster presentations at my university "undergraduate research day"
1 publication, co author (4th)
EC's:
SMDEP
President of Math club
President of a science outreach club on campus (coordinated and events with the community)
Peer educator for Cell biology
Tutor for Cell biology
Orientation leader- two summers
Deans List, every year except for sophomore year
Worked part-time since the summer before I started freshman year 15-20hrs/week.

I will be using my committee letter, 2 science letters, 1 academic non-science letter, 1 clinical, and 1 research letter.
My PS is finished and I plan to submit on the first day, right before taking my MCAT.
I know earlier is better, hopefully good enough for San Diego

Thank you in advance everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! So a 510 would help me be competitive for SanDiego?
What about other top schools?
No one can predict how a particular school is likely to view any single candidate.
UCSD only had 23 OOS matriculants.
510 will keep you in consideration, though.

Reactions: 1 user
In my personal opinion, your goal shouldn't be a number. It should be to reach your potential. Just try your hardest and don't think about the score. Just keep on studying and improving!

Reactions: 1 user