3.8cGPA 3.7sGPA MCAT TBD WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am a transfer student from community college and I received my associates
CC GPA: 3.73 ( all A's but got a C in both Orgo I and II)

I transferred to a 4 year school and will be graduating this spring.
4 year institution GPA: 3.882 (anticipated of of course)

Looking at the AMACAS GPA calculator I will have a 3.7992cGPA and 3.6894 after my last semester this spring.

I plan on taking the MCAT later after graduation

EC
President of the Math club at my CC
SMDEP (which is now called SHPEP)
President of a biological science club at my univ.
Peer educator in biology, biochemistry, and human physiology
A member of philosophy club, public health club, and LGBT club

No volunteering experience

Research
2 semesters of research (~7 months) in a biochemistry lab: acquired analytical skills with Mass spectrometry.
Contributing author on a paper, not published yet, it is in review.

Clinical Experience
As of today, 18 months as a clinical technician at on ophthalmology clinic.
Basically I screen patients get the chief complaint, HPI, perform ophthalmic "vitals". Perform OTC and visual field tests, assist in small clinical procedures, consult patients, etc.​
Observed many cataract surgeries

After freshman year, I worked every semester in college. I started off with one job sophomore year and during Junior and Senior year 2 part time jobs ~20-25 hours a week.
1. Clinical technician
2. Design Assistant for an Interior designer at a furniture store.
This caused my GPA sophomore year to be low (13 credits/ 3.23 GPA)
Transferring to university taught me time management (Junior year GPA 3.83 with 20hrs/week (14/17 credits))
So I think I have a "positive trend"

I am a AA female, (URM), and first generation college student.

So if I aim for 510/ 515 what are my chances?
And any advice, like "get more volunteering experience" or whatever else comes to mind, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

come back with an MCAT score

Everything looks good except for the no volunteering part - if you rectify that, you're only limited by your MCAT score

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Im taking the MCAT soon
If I were to score about 505, what would be my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
505/3.8 is competitive for AA
510/3.8 is very competitive
515/3.8 is extremely competitive, like top schools

Ok great thanks!!

I have one month until my exam so I should be able to move from a 505 to a 510 hopefully. I graduate in a couple days. So i will hit the library every single day 10hrs/day.

For school lists, are these school out of range? I used the MSAR to compile this list. Looking at how may interviews they gave to OSS vs ISS. These school were very close to numbers of interviews offered ISS vs OSS. and all the GPAs were with 0.05 of mine, except yale (3.87) and pitt (3.86). even though I am a Maryland resident I removed Hopkins and UVA bc the GPA average was (3.9+!)

ucsf
pitt
oregon
yale
washingtonU
ohio
wisconsin
umd
vcu
vtech
georgetown
gwu
pennstate
miami
temple
howard
tulane
morehouse

If you can pull a 510+ honestly I think as URM and first-gen you have a shot at any of the top 20. Even JHU though if you don’t want to apply there obviously don’t. Congrats on pulling through with a solid GPA in spite of obstacles and good luck on MCAT! I would definitely emphasize your unique experiences/working 2 jobs while in school.

Reactions: 1 user
thank you for the feedback!!
I am applying this cycle w/ a second attempt of 504, (first attempt 501). I have low cars scores both times. the sad thing is if I could have made a 126 on cars I would have been at a 511. +pissed+

You will be fine with a 504. Although keep on improving