3.8gpa 29s mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misslala

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What are my chances and what schools should I apply to with
29S MCAT (9PS, 9VR, 11B)
3.8sGPA
physiology major (im a cali resident)

2yrs research
200hrs volunteering at the hospital
250hrs internship at a hospital: rotations through ER, Perinatology, Telemetry, Labor and Delivery
2yrs officer position in a campus organization

i'm considering retaking MCAT..but it's been so long since I have taken it (sept09)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? please, really need an advice

From what you've provided, I'll say you got a decent chance at med school. Your MCAT is a bit low but your gpa is pretty strong. Cali school will be tough for you, but getting in somewhere shouldn't be a problem. Any teaching experience? Any unique talents/hobbies/sports? If you think you can do better on the MCAT and you're consistently scoring higher on practice ones, then you might consider retaking it. Check out the school selector excel spreadsheet to get an idea where you might want to apply. Apply broadly and you should be alright. :) :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I see the inconsistency with the GPA and MCAT score to be the biggest issue. From what I gather someone with a 3.8 GPA should get at least 30-33 on MCAT to show consistency (this may be a rumor that I keep hearing though, never heard this directly from any adcom). The lower MCAT score would hurt you I think.

The problem with being a Cali resident is we don't benefit as much from in-state preference that other states have since there are so many Cali residents competing for not enough spaces. So prepare to apply out of state as well but make sure they take out of state applicants first.

A 3.8/29 put past applicants in the 51.5 to 67.3 % range for chance of an allopathic acceptance.

Aside from any appropriate in-state schools, one with your stats might also consider these schools which have a decent OOS matriculation rate:

UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (new),
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, UNevada (from region and [W]WAMI), NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS,
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),
Commonwealth MC in Pa

Hi,
What are my chances and what schools should I apply to with
29S MCAT (9PS, 9VR, 11B)
3.8sGPA
physiology major (im a cali resident)

2yrs research
200hrs volunteering at the hospital
250hrs internship at a hospital: rotations through ER, Perinatology, Telemetry, Labor and Delivery
2yrs officer position in a campus organization

i'm considering retaking MCAT..but it's been so long since I have taken it (sept09)

I actually was in the same exact situation as you. I just applied this cycle...I had a 3.8cGPA and 29S (9PS, 9BS, 11VR) and had similar research, volunteering, clinical experience, leadership, and community service. I applied to ~30 MD schools and 4 DO schools. I received 13 interview invites (9 MD invites and 3 DO invites) and was accepted at one DO school and my top choice MD school. It's doable....just make sure you rock the interview. I did mock interviews...don't take it lightly and just make sure you come off as well-informed and passionate about medicine. I know 30 is the magical number but its not guaranteed admission with a 30 either so you just have to prove yourself with a 29. I actually canceled 4 MD interviews after my acceptance so there may have even been more:D good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

I see the inconsistency with the GPA and MCAT score to be the biggest issue. From what I gather someone with a 3.8 GPA should get at least 30-33 on MCAT to show consistency (this may be a rumor that I keep hearing though, never heard this directly from any adcom). The lower MCAT score would hurt you I think.

The problem with being a Cali resident is we don't benefit as much from in-state preference that other states have since there are so many Cali residents competing for not enough spaces. So prepare to apply out of state as well but make sure they take out of state applicants first.
:eek:

I actually was in the same exact situation as you. I just applied this cycle...I had a 3.8cGPA and 29S (9PS, 9BS, 11VR) and had similar research, volunteering, clinical experience, leadership, and community service. I applied to ~30 MD schools and 4 DO schools. I received 13 interview invites (9 MD invites and 3 DO invites) and was accepted at one DO school and my top choice MD school. It's doable....just make sure you rock the interview. I did mock interviews...don't take it lightly and just make sure you come off as well-informed and passionate about medicine. I know 30 is the magical number but its not guaranteed admission with a 30 either so you just have to prove yourself with a 29. I actually canceled 4 MD interviews after my acceptance so there may have even been more:D good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Similar here... with stats of 3.7/30, I also got 9 MD invites.

Unfortunately, med school application is a bit of a game and quite a gamble. Just come out with an amazing essay and push out all your secondaries out July/August, making sure to highlight your strengths... it's not just about your experiences and activities, but how you present them.

My sister's stats were identical to yours and she got in!