3.9+ 517 School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoistBreakfast123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a WAMC thread last year but have since improved my ECs and would appreciate some help with my school list. I'm trying to keep the number of schools I apply to around 18-20. I have also taken some of the details out of my last post for anonymity.

Residency: IA
Year in School: 4th, applying in June 2019
cGPA: 3.95
sGPA: 4.0
School: Big 10 state school
Major: STEM (Engineering)
MCAT: 517 (127 CARS)
Research: ~1200 hours in engineering lab, 2 posters, thesis (over 2.5 years + full time one summer)
Clinical Volunteering: ~200 hours over 1.5 years (320+ by matriculation)
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 50 hours homeless shelter (1 semester), 75 hours local sporting events over 3 years, 120 hours ELL tutor over 1 year (200+ by matriculation)
Shadowing: 75 hours across various specialties (30 family med)
Work: 800 hours at biotech company, R&D stuff - full time gap year plan (~3000 hours by matriculation), planning on poster at annual conference this year
Awards/Honors: Nominated for service award at University (not awarded, awarded to <1% of students)), 2nd place for poster at regional conference for work, 2 academic scholarships, 2 research scholarships, Dean's List, Summa Cum Laude, Honors program, fully funded study abroad semester
Other: 1 semester study abroad (traveled a lot)
Hobbies: weightlifting (competing at the regional level this year), travel, camping, hiking, etc.

School List:
UCSF
Yale
WashU
Harvard
UChicago
Stanford
Duke
Case/Lerner
UMichigan
Pitt
Mayo
UCLA
Emory
Carle Illinois
Einstein
Dartmouth
Minnesota
MCW
Iowa
Rochester

Should I apply to schools like WashU, Yale, UChicago with 520+ MCAT averages?
Will my ECs (limited volunteering) hold me back at the schools that I have on my list?
Should I remove some of the top schools and replace with more mid- or lower- tier schools?
Any schools that look favorably upon engineers (other than Carle Illinois)?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Usually when reading WAMC posts, I try to look for any red flags or problems with the application. There's nothing on your app that is lacking. Good list and good luck next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I posted a WAMC thread last year but have since improved my ECs and would appreciate some help with my school list. I'm trying to keep the number of schools I apply to around 18-20. I have also taken some of the details out of my last post for anonymity.

Residency: IA
Year in School: 4th, applying in June 2019
cGPA: 3.95
sGPA: 4.0
School: Big 10 state school
Major: STEM (Engineering)
MCAT: 517 (127 CARS)
Research: ~1200 hours in engineering lab, 2 posters, thesis (over 2.5 years + full time one summer)
Clinical Volunteering: ~200 hours over 1.5 years (320+ by matriculation)
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 50 hours homeless shelter (1 semester), 75 hours local sporting events over 3 years, 120 hours ELL tutor over 1 year (200+ by matriculation)
Shadowing: 75 hours across various specialties (30 family med)
Work: 800 hours at biotech company, R&D stuff - full time gap year plan (~3000 hours by matriculation), planning on poster at annual conference this year
Awards/Honors: Service award at University (given to < 1% of students), 2nd place for poster at regional conference for work, 2 academic scholarships, 2 research scholarships, Dean's List, Summa Cum Laude, Honors program, fully funded study abroad semester
Other: 1 semester study abroad (traveled a lot)
Hobbies: weightlifting (competing at the regional level this year), travel, camping, hiking, etc.

School List:
UCSF
Yale
WashU
Harvard
UChicago
Stanford
Duke
Case/Lerner
UMichigan
Pitt
Mayo
UCLA
Emory
Carle Illinois
Einstein
Dartmouth
Minnesota
MCW
Iowa
Rochester

Should I apply to schools like WashU, Yale, UChicago with 520+ MCAT averages?
Will my ECs (limited volunteering) hold me back at the schools that I have on my list?
Should I remove some of the top schools and replace with more mid- or lower- tier schools?
Any schools that look favorably upon engineers (other than Carle Illinois)?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Your list is fine, but suggest deleting UCSF, MCW, UCLA,

Suggest adding Keck, Jefferson, Duke, U VM, Miami, BU, Hofstra

Wow, great stats. You'll definitely get into a lot of schools on your list.

Usually when reading WAMC posts, I try to look for any red flags or problems with the application. There's nothing on your app that is lacking. Good list and good luck next cycle.

Wow, great stats. You'll definitely get into a lot of schools on your list.

Thank you both very much for the encouragement.

Your list is fine, but suggest deleting UCSF, MCW, UCLA,

Suggest adding Keck, Jefferson, Duke, U VM, Miami, BU, Hofstra

Goro, thank you for the suggestions. I will remove MCW and consider adding some of those other schools. Any particular reason you recommend deleting UCLA and UCSF?