3.9 cgpa/3.9 sgpa/ 24 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

het het

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Completely crashed on verbal (scored 5-6 points lower overall than average of AAMC) with a 5 on VR (10/5/9 = 24) :mad:. I guess I did however do well on the writing prompts. I don't want to give up my dream of medicine because of a 70 minute verbal sectiont

EC's are strong and LOR(s) are extremely strong. I am an Illinois resident, who would prefer to not go DO or Carib, do I have any shot at any MD programs this cycle? Any reccomendations for schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

None. Save the money. Unless you raise your MCAT, you don't have a chance. In fact, you 5 in verbal would probably keep you out of all but a few DO schools. Easy fix though so that is a plus. Good luck on raising your score.

Completely crashed on verbal (scored 5-6 points lower overall than average of AAMC) with a 5 on VR (10/5/9 = 24) :mad:. I guess I did however do well on the writing prompts. I don't want to give up my dream of medicine because of a 70 minute verbal sectiont

EC's are strong and LOR(s) are extremely strong. I am an Illinois resident, who would prefer to not go DO or Carib, do I have any shot at any MD programs this cycle? Any reccomendations for schools?

Thanks.

No shot. Save your money and retake the MCAT. You'll need to score higher on every section (30+) to have a decent chance at MD schools. Having a 3.9, but scoring <30 on the MCAT might make some people wonder how legitimate or rigorous your undergrad program was.

Members don't see this ad :)
None. Save the money. Unless you raise your MCAT, you don't have a chance. In fact, you 5 in verbal would probably keep you out of all but a few DO schools. Easy fix though so that is a plus. Good luck on raising your score.

I figured this would be the general consensus, but still figure I'd try anyway considering I thought atleast the rest of my app was fairly strong. Still not too sure about the verbal being a "easy" fix though, as I was averaging quite a few points higher.

MEDPR, as per the 30 mcat thing- if your philosophy is correct, then those of us who don't perform well on standardized testing better change careers. :(

Thanks for the input guys.

I figured this would be the general consensus, but still figure I'd try anyway considering I thought atleast the rest of my app was fairly strong. Still not too sure about the verbal being a "easy" fix though, as I was averaging quite a few points higher.

MEDPR, as per the 30 mcat thing- if your philosophy is correct, then those of us who don't perform well on standardized testing better change careers. :(

Thanks for the input guys.

I didn't mean to make the impression that 3.9 and <30 MCAT means you won't get in anywhere, I've just read countless times that a low MCAT with a stellar GPA can sometimes be a red flag. I'm sure a 3.9/28-29 could get you into some mid-tier schools.

The MCAT is really the only standardized part of our application and although it's only one piece of the puzzle, it is one of the first things the ADCOM sees.. and sometimes it's the last thing they see. You can try if you want, but I think you would be wasting your money. Lots of schools don't screen their secondary invitations and are just using them to get more money.

I had a really good experience retaking the MCAT not only because I was more motivated, but because I had a better idea of what to expect from the test. I think you'll find a similar result if/when you decide to retake.