3.9 GPA, 3.8 sGPA, 11/6/10 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spikes

in the deep blue sea
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're a solid applicant for most, if not all, DO programs.

I know my MCAT is below average, but its only in Verbal. So that one subset of a score on MCAT kills my application? Its just annoying how my failure to finish 7 passages in 60 minutes determines my entire application (ran out of time and had to guess on last passage).

Thanks for the help btw and I was referring to MD in my comment above.

@Goro @gyngyn

I know my MCAT is below average, but its only in Verbal. So that one subset of a score on MCAT kills my application? Its just annoying how my failure to finish 7 passages in 60 minutes determines my entire application (ran out of time and had to guess on last passage).

In a word, Yes.

While your scores for BS and PS are solid, but they are far from stellar (Your scores are merely average for matriculated applicants at lower tier schools) and are not enough to overcome your VR score. In addition, using the opposing logic regarding your verbal score (since you stated that guessing on one passage probably hurt your score), you could have lucked into getting a 10 or an 11 on your other sections by guessing correct on one question. The MCAT has been around for years as the measuring stick, it's a frustrating exam that drastically alters the career path of many applicants, but it's the only way to standardize the applicant pool. It's understandable to be frustrated about "one subset of a score," but AdComs view the MCAT as a veritable measuring stick for academic success. Good Luck!

@Goro @gyngyn

In a word, Yes.

While your scores for BS and PS are solid, but they are far from stellar (Your scores are merely average for matriculated applicants at lower tier schools) and are not enough to overcome your VR score. In addition, using the opposing logic regarding your verbal score (since you stated that guessing on one passage probably hurt your score), you could have lucked into getting a 10 or an 11 on your other sections by guessing correct on one question. The MCAT has been around for years as the measuring stick, it's a frustrating exam that drastically alters the career path of many applicants, but it's the only way to standardize the applicant pool. It's understandable to be frustrated about "one subset of a score," but AdComs view the MCAT as a veritable measuring stick for academic success. Good Luck!

That makes sense, thanks. Is it worth a shot applying just to see, or do you think I will just be throwing away $ at this point? I am also considering retaking just trying to wrap my head around MCAT 2015, its hard to stay motivated because I am so familiar with the old exam.

Concur. The VR is < the 10th %ile for MD schools. It's a seller's market, so they can afford to take a pass on OP.

So if you're boning for MD, you need to retake, but d o NOT do so until you fix your VR deficit.

You're fine for all DO programs, except AZCOM. I can't recommend LUCOM.

@Goro @gyngyn

In a word, Yes.

I had lower GPAs than you, but a 31 (14/6/11) on my MCAT. I am not ESL.

That 6 destroyed me for about 90% of the MD schools I applied to, but I was able to get into two MD schools, which could have been due to other aspects of my application or interview.

That 6 destroyed me for about 90% of the MD schools I applied to, but I was able to get into two MD schools, which could have been due to other aspects of my application or interview.
Why don't you PM him with the schools that interviewed you?

Hey thanks for the help! I would love to know what schools interviewed you if you get the chance.

Do you wish you had just retaken? I know I should probably suck it up but this MCAT 2015 is really messing with me.

Could you PM me. I have often wondered what to advise students in this situation.

Hey thanks for the help! I would love to know what schools interviewed you if you get the chance.

Do you wish you had just retaken? I know I should probably suck it up but this MCAT 2015 is really messing with me.

Sent you both PM's.

Spikes, to answer your question, it was the third time taking the MCAT. I voided the first time, 2nd time I got a 27 with a 6 in VR. Third score was my 31. I already took over a year off BECAUSE of the MCAT and didn't want to wait any longer to start my career since I am a believer that time is of essence and really didn't want to be paying off loans into my 50's possibly. It was a personal choice. I applied to MD and DO's schools. DO schools were more for backup as I didn't really like OMM, I just was one of those applicants who used it more of a backdoor into medicine, I hate to admit.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I decided I am definitely retaking, just ordered some 2015 books. Gonna work every day from here on out on my verbal.