1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3.9 GPA/35 MCAT, minimal research...good enuf?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by neurofreak, Mar 10, 2007.

1. neurofreak

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    im new to this so i appreciate any and all responses. im applying this upcoming summer and have a 3.9 (3.8 BCMP) from a top school and a 35T, but only have minimal research experience (1 summer)...other ECs are great, hopefully great LORs, etc.

does anyone know of any applicants getting into top schools with comparable stats and minimal research experience? ive seen so many posts of people with crazy intense research/pubs and was wondering if this is an absolute requirement, especially since it really isnt my thing. thanks in advance

2. sekem

sekem Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    here we go again!!!

no you have zero chance!

3. leesh

leesh I'm bored
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. holyroller212

Pre-Medical
    Don't worry about the research. What matters is whether you've had experience in a clinical setting. Unless you're going for academic medicine, you're going to be fine. Not everyone on SDN likes to do research.:)

5. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    This question coming from you doesn't even deserve an answer. Seriously man, browse the site before you post. There is a thread at the top of the page for questions like this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    *yawns*

I know that calling "troll" has gone out of vogue, but I think that's the most likely scenario here.

7. yomama'sdoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I actually have never done lab research and I've never published...I had slightly worse numbers but good ECs and it was fine.

That being said, read the forum stickies.

8. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Doesn't seem so. They've already posted in the "what are my chances" thread.

9. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Seriously?

Wow. Dude. You'd think no one that smart could be that dumb. :p

Whatever. The OP will go somewhere in the Top 20 (maybe Top 40 since there's no research... but prob Top 20) and have a very lovely life.

10. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, seriously. It just seems like trolls don't like to follow the advice of posters on here.

11. TarHeelBorn

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I kind of wish there was a "sneer" smiley.

That sounded really bitter. I'm on spring break; why am I bitter?

12. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Right. Because everyone smarter/with better stats than you is a troll...

13. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Asking the same question multiple times is against the rules. You already asked this question yesterday, with slightly different wording. Clogs up the works Probably should be closed.

14. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

this is why they have interviews.

15. Mr. Itchy

Mr. Itchy Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    According to DKM's "what are my chances formula" you have approximately 35% chance of getting into medical school. From the looks of your posts though I would say that is dropping hard.

16. OP
    OP
    neurofreak

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lol thanks everyone :)

17. bbas

bbas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Why is research even important for med school admissions? If I wanted to do research, I would get a PhD or MD/PhD. If you have enough clinical experience, you're fine.

18. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You will find that many of the competitive residencies and fellowships expect research, and so schools have found that folks with a history of college research (1) are more apt to dive into research in med school, and (2) have a better starting point and won't necessarilly have to spend months just learning the basics. So it makes total sense. Also if you look at the research rankings, you can appreciate that research dollars are a big part of what really drives this medical education engine, not your measly tuition check.

19. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

I don't think this is a troll post. I think this is a "stroke my ego" post. "Tell me how great I am, and that I'll get into Harvard AND Yale."

20. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh: :laugh:

Great scores may get you interviews at the top schools but the question of getting in is a tough one to predict because top schools get a handful of people with great scores. They rely more on the subjective matters to distinguish candidates.

21. etf

etf

because everyone else has it, and all else being equal, the admissions committee will pick the person with research before they pick (if they ever do) the one w/o.

22. JohnnyOU

JohnnyOU Slow like Honey
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you're an illegal alien I think they'll let you in...
    they're very under-represented in the MD schools...

and in the tax-paying area...
    and in the observing of American laws area...

BUT they are excellent in the areas of:
    (1) bankrupting hospitals and making blacks, whites, asians, etc pay higher hospital bills to compensate for them.

(2) wearing cowboy hats and boots

(3) driving trucks without a license

(4) putting old-english writing in their truck windows that say their name because we all admire that :laugh:

(5) and let us not forget the banditos..aka phags, which 5 of them can easily beat up a 14 yr old black kid. :laugh: :thumbdown:

(6) OH and they're good at stealing car sterios! :smuggrin:

WooHoo... those lazy pudf*ckers f*cked up your own country and now they're here to do the same :thumbdown:

23. etf

etf

i'm impressed you've made it to 1200 posts harboring that enmity.

24. etf

etf

speaking of which, here's #1400 for me. what a waste.

25. OP
    OP
    neurofreak

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    diosa: this honestly isnt a "stoke my ego" or whatever you call it post...i just wanted to know if applicants without extensive research even stand a chance at the top 20 schools, regardless of stats. it seems like everyone on SDN is a research machine that started publishing pre-high school.

26. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I didn't have any research.

27. Tyronebiggums

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn't have any research and I applied late (August MCATer) and I got into Emory and waitlisted at Vandy with a 3.6 and a 34. Further my letters of rec in all likelihood were average at best.

28. turkleton

turkleton Capeless Crusader
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I heard the top 25 stopped taking people under a 4.2 and a 47 on the MCAT's... you're out of luck my friend.

29. GoodDoctor

GoodDoctor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Everyone is flaming you because they are drooling over your numbers.

However, you would absolutely, never make it into my state school with those numbers. We require minimal hours in
    1) Clinical Experience (Patient Exposure)
    2) Shadowing
    3) Community Service
    4) Leadership
    5) Research
    6) EC's (includes family stuff, & often overlap with Leadership and others)
    Plus, minimum:
    7) GPA and
    8) MCAT
    You must be Min in all 8, Ave in 5, and Excel in 2 to make the cut. If you do make the cut, then the the PS and LORs are factored in to determine if you get an interview. All of these 8 plus PS, LOR, and interview play into the final decision.

So, you meet 3 of 8 min criteria (Excell in 2) = auto rejection from my school. :D You'd never even get an interview.

While most schools do not have definitive criteria like these, I think that my school's systematic approach is likely the way many schools end up examining an applicant's non-academic qualifications. Some may give more weight to GPA and MCAT (my school = 10% for each for total 20% of your app is GPA and MCAT). Some top schools may care more about research than others. All seem to care about Patient Exposure. So, get some meaningful patient exposure, and you'll likely be golden at many schools.

30. Tyronebiggums

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You are assuming the OP is lacking in 1 through 4, which were never mentioned in the initial post as lacking or present. The OP may have no experience in areas 1-4 or may have more than you or I. We don't know. The OP did mention he has great EC's besides his research, which means he most likely meets 6. Further, you even mention that EC's often overlap so his great EC's may meet 1-4 after all. Also, he got a 35T and has a 3.8 so I am sure he is smart enough to know that clinical exposure is necessary. The OP's question is only about whether or not an acceptance from a top 20 is possible without much research. It is a legitmate question and I think it is more reasonable to assume the OP already has sufficient experiences in the other 7 areas besides research or else he would mention other application weaknesses. So unless your state school is UCSF or Washington I would imagine the OP would easily be a very desirable applicant.

31. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is there an inverse relationship between MCAT/GPA and ability to read the MSAR?

32. OP
    OP
    neurofreak

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah tyronebiggums knew exactly what i was asking...as in whether top 25 schools will even consider applicants without meaningful research. i thought it was a legit question

oh and to respond to the above poster, yeah ive done the clinical stuff, shadowing, etc

33. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Yes there is. "What are my chances?" threads represent a research project aimed at specifically proving that point. You'll read about the findings sooner or later, but by now, we've got to have some pretty good statistics to support the hypothesis.

34. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    It is hard to predict as there have been cases where even HMS has taken people with minimal to zero research. However if you are concerned about it you could always do some summer research this summer and update the schools as well as contact admissions directors at such schools and see what they say.

35. 93106

93106 Guest

a

#35 93106, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  36. Jamers

Jamers Sexy Man
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    whoops

37. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I thought everyone knew you needed at least 2 PhD's of research work before you could even think of being an MD.