Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

3.9 GPA, 42 MCAT with low clinical experience

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by strongbones, 01.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. strongbones

strongbones 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm hoping to apply this coming summer, by which time I will have the following qualifications.

white female math major, bio/Spanish minors
    GPA - 3.9 (same sGPA I believe)
    MCAT - 42 (15ps, 13vr, 14bs)
    Research - 1 year, no publications
    Volunteering - 2.5 years at 2 hours a week in the local community with an underserved population
    Jobs - a lot of experience as a tutor and TA in both math and biochemistry
    Other - pretty involved in my honors fraternity, held offices and all that
    Honors - Dean's List each semester, special scholar program

For clinical experience, I did a little bit of volunteering with a hospice last summer, probably 10 hours max, but I want to continue that this coming summer. I'm trying to look for shadowing opportunities for Spring Break or after finals this semester (I don't have time during the school year with all my activities), but my calls have not yet borne fruit. I have had a lot of experience as a patient myself and during the summers I've mostly been doing academic catch-up from having to take a semester off for medical leave.

What are my chances/do you have any advice for getting more clinical experience?

Also, I'm trying to come up with a school list, and this is what I'm looking at so far (VA resident):

Boston University
    Columbia University
    Cornell University/Weill
    Eastern Virginia Medical School
    Georgetown University
    Icahn/Mount Sinai
    Mayo Medical School
    New York University
    Northwestern University/Feinberg
    Stanford University
    UCLA/Geffen
    UNC Chapel Hill
    University of Chicago
    University of Miami/Miller
    University of Pennsylvania/Perelman
    University of Virginia
    Unniversity of Cincinnati
    USC/Keck
    Vanderbilt University
    Virginia Commonwealth University
    Washington University in St. Louis
    Yeshiva University/Albert Einstein

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ToKingdomCome

ToKingdomCome 2+ Year Member

get clinical experience and go wherever you want

4. AquiVoy13

AquiVoy13

Pre-Medical
    You really really need more clinical experience and shadowing..... I think most applicants have about 50-60 hours of shadowing alone by the time they apply.

Your stats are phenomenal (really), but schools need to be sure that you've spent a lot of time in a clinical setting and know what you're getting yourself into.

You probably don't want to hear it, but in my opinion, I think taking a gap year and applying summer 2015 would be very beneficial. I would recommend finding a hospital/hospice volunteer position AND shadowing in a few different specialties. You could also find a lab position and boost up your research, since several of the schools you listed are very research intensive, and your one year of research may be below average to them.

Have you spoken to a pre-med advisor at your school? They may be able to offer you some valuable advice! Good luck!

5. sat0ri

sat0ri Everything we see hides another 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You might be looking at such an unnecessary gap to get some clinical experience. You have half a year to shadow and volunteer and it's going to look bad cramming it in to the very last semester of your undergrad. It would make an otherwise superb application somewhat of a gamble without it.

6. Ace-Co-A

Ace-Co-A taking up the mantle cell lymphoma 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Apply to all of the top 20 programs unless you really hate one of them for some reason. Those stats are among the very best in the country.

7. Narmerguy

Narmerguy SDN Senior Moderator 7+ Year Member

What, no Harvard?
    Agreed. Just get what you can and then apply wherever. Definitely try to continue the hospice thing--the more long term work (rather that scattershot stuff) the better. You've got a super strong application outside of clinical experience, and while that may count against you, I think the rest will shine. I had similar stats as you, no shadowing, and limited clinical volunteering and it hasn't come up in any interviews and has generally gone well.

8. strongbones

strongbones 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you to everyone for your advice. I really want to apply this summer, so no gap year for me! I will just keep trying to get clinical opportunities.

No offense, I just always thought Harvard seemed really pretentious and that's not my style.

9. Narmerguy

Narmerguy SDN Senior Moderator 7+ Year Member

All I'll say is that I haven't had the best of impressions or experiences with them either. :thumbup:

10. itsthat1guy

itsthat1guy Not that other guy 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Mirin those stats HARD

bambam92 and Fossilized like this.
  11. CyberMaxx

CyberMaxx Doing math in pen 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey OP, great numbers! With such a strong GPA and MCAT I'm sure you would have success among top 20 schools, even though your extracurricular activities are a little thin. Since you seem to be very against doing a gap year the best thing seems to be just to apply this summer. However, I will say that if you took an extra year and gained more clinical and research experience you would be a 'shoe in' at all top schools.

12. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    It's a good list, but I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience. You need to show us that you'll like being around sick people for the next 40 years, and that you know what you're getting into.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, nursing homes, rehab facilities, camps for sick children, or clinics. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients.

What are my chances/do you have any advice for getting more clinical experience?

Also, I'm trying to come up with a school list, and this is what I'm looking at so far (VA resident):

Boston University
    Columbia University
    Cornell University/Weill
    Eastern Virginia Medical School
    Georgetown University
    Icahn/Mount Sinai
    Mayo Medical School
    New York University
    Northwestern University/Feinberg
    Stanford University
    UCLA/Geffen
    UNC Chapel Hill