3.9 GPA ,504 mcat? MI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jekyll75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I had my cousin text me last week about applying to medical school and she gave me her stats from my understanding a 504 is a 27 MCAT? Where would you guys recommend she apply? She is not a underrepresented minority, and as a traditional student. Good extracurriculars has some research. I know about applying to state schools and Msucom DO school. Any other places you guys would recommend? Or any recommendations in general? @Goro @Faha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

If she isn't URM or a non-traditional student, I wouldn't bother applying to many MD schools. My suggestion is to apply to only her state MD school and as many DO schools as she can afford. 504 is well below the average for her demographic at all MD schools. She has a good shot at DOs though.

Edit: For MD, I'd apply to Central and MSU and maybe Wayne/Oakland

If she isn't URM or a non-traditional student, I wouldn't bother applying to many MD schools. My suggestion is to apply to only her state MD school and as many DO schools as she can afford. 504 is well below the average for her demographic at all MD schools. She has a good shot at DOs though.

Edit: For MD, I'd apply to Central and MSU and maybe Wayne/Oakland

Thank you for the feedback, that’s what I told her but I just wanted to make sure I was right. I know things change in the application cycle and every year becomes more competitive. And it’s been four years since I got into med school so it’s always good to stay up-to-date. Any DO schools you recommend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback, that’s what I told her but I just wanted to make sure I was right. I know things change in the application cycle and every year becomes more competitive. And it’s been four years since I got into med school so it’s always good to stay up-to-date. Any DO schools you recommend?

No problem! Does she have a physician letter of recommendation? If not, she will be limited as most require one. A few require DO letters but most just want one from either an MD or DO. The most highly recommended ones usually are CCOM, KCOM, NYITCOM, Touro-CA, MUCOM, Western, VCOM, PCOM, AZCOM, and MSUCOM. But to be honest, DO schools don't have rankings so tell her to do her research and see which ones she resonates with the most.

No problem! Does she have a physician letter of recommendation? If not, she will be limited as most require one. A few require DO letters but most just want one from either an MD or DO. The most highly recommended ones usually are CCOM, KCOM, NYITCOM, Touro-CA, MUCOM, Western, VCOM, PCOM, AZCOM, and MSUCOM. But to be honest, DO schools don't have rankings so tell her to do her research and see which ones she resonates with the most.

She does have letters ready. She’s only waiting on one letter from a DO at my school who I know personally and he takes forever to write anything.