3.9 non science, 3.1 science GPA, 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anil23789

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just wrote my MCAT and got a 33P (12 phys and bio, 9 verbal), and while I have some solid years in my undergrad I calculated my non science GPA and found that it is around a 3.1-3.2 (3.155 to be exact). Here are all of my stats:

1st year: Science: 2.71 (18/30 credits)
Non Science: 3.75 (12/30 credits)
Cumulative for year: 3.13
Running Total:3.13

2nd year: Science: 3.07 (16/31 credits)
Non Science: 4.0 (15/31 credits)
Cumulative for year: 3.52
Running Total:3.33

3rd year: Science: 4.0 (6/30 credits)
Non Science: 3.83 (24/30 credits)
Cumulative for year: 3.86
Running Total:3.5

4th year: Science: 4.0 (6/30 credits)
Non Science: 4.0 (24/30 credits)
Cumulative for year: 4.0
Running Total: 3.63

Final: 3.63 overall, 3.15 science, 3.9 non science

I used the AMCAS GPA calculator and it seems a little bit generous, it counted my A's and A+ grades as 4.0 instead of 3.8 and 4.0, which is how I thought it was supposed to be. In any case, these are the grades and MCAT scores I possess and I was wondering what my chances are for getting into a school in the states. I am mainly concerned with my non science GPA being so low and I am worried about meeting cutoffs.

I also have to mention that I took a physics course last year (after my degree was already complete, "5th year") while working a full time job. I also had to have surgery a month before my exam, making me miss 3 weeks of school and forcing me to catch up after I recovered. I ended up walking into the exam with an 87 and after getting a 56 on the final I got a 74 (B) in the course. Since this was 1/5 of a full courseload at my school, was taken during my 5th year, and was at a time when I was working full time/had surgery right before my exam, how would this factor into my application?

Sorry for the long read, but that should cover basically everything. I can post a copy of the spreadsheet I used to calculate my grades if anyone would like to see it.

Thank you in advance for your help, and absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

What state are you from?

That is a big difference in overall and science. You might want to consider a post-bac as your sGPA is far below most school's 10th percentile (look up the MSAR) and you haven't taken many science classes in your last 2 years. MCAT is great though especially the sciences so you definitely know your stuff but that sGPA is very low.

Also non-science GPA is meaningless unless it is also very low. Overall GPA and sGPA are the most important along with MCAT scores.

What state are you from?

That is a big difference in overall and science. You might want to consider a post-bac as your sGPA is far below most school's 10th percentile (look up the MSAR) and you haven't taken many science classes in your last 2 years. MCAT is great though especially the sciences so you definitely know your stuff but that sGPA is very low.

Also non-science GPA is meaningless unless it is also very low. Overall GPA and sGPA are the most important along with MCAT scores.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am from Canada (I think that just counts as out of state rather than international) and you are right, the Science GPA is really low. I am not sure how the US schools work, so that sucks that my non science gpa is meaningless :S. Are there any schools who would even consider me given my current stats (aside from the Caribbean)?

Members don't see this ad :)
My cGPA was around a 3.29 and my sGPA was 3.19 with a 33R MCAT. I have 4 years of research, 4 years collegiate athlete, and minor (1 yr volunteering, 1 day shadowing) experience. I managed to get accepted to two schools this cycle.

I know that being an athlete helped me a TON, so I think the answer to your question really depends on the kinds of ECs you have. These can make up for a lower-than-average GPA if you do something that is especially time-consuming, and that requires a lot of dedication.

My cGPA was around a 3.29 and my sGPA was 3.19 with a 33R MCAT. I have 4 years of research, 4 years collegiate athlete, and minor (1 yr volunteering, 1 day shadowing) experience. I managed to get accepted to two schools this cycle.

I know that being an athlete helped me a TON, so I think the answer to your question really depends on the kinds of ECs you have. These can make up for a lower-than-average GPA if you do something that is especially time-consuming, and that requires a lot of dedication.

I was on the York wrestling team until my third year when a shoulder injury ended my year early, but I have been boxing 2-3 hours a night, 5 days a week for the past few years. I also did 2 summers (8 months total) of research at two different hospitals, although I think the doctor at the second hospital started to dislike me by the end of the summer so I was not planning on using him in my applications even though he is very well known in the community. Hopefully that will be enough, and if you say that good EC's can help then it might be worth it to apply to some of the schools with lower cutoffs.

I looked at the MSAR and it sems like it gives you the averages for all of the schools but no minimum cutoffs for the applications. Is there any place I can find this information that you know of (besides trolling the forums looking through a million posts :)?