3.9 sGPA, 24Q MCAT, Texan Hispanic with some pull from connections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lofski12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those are my stats. I'm applying to all Texas schools and some out of state ones just to see what happens. I have all the EC's from volunteering, research, and shadowing (lots of hours). My pre med advisor told me I have a reasonable chance due to my Spanish speaking ability and Hispanic ethnicity. 2 med school professors from 2 different schools that are family friends have offered to write letters and speak to the adcom in support of my acceptance.

I'm not retaking the MCAT this year because it would be too late in the application cycle for Texas schools. And those same family friends say all schools in Texas except for Baylor weigh GPA heavier than MCAT.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is good. MCAT is really low, but being hispanic will help. The pull from professors will not help at least in my opinion. Too many applicants to give special consideration to some. Apply and find out. If you don't get in this year, retake mcat and score higher.

Yep that's my plan of attack. But from what you know, should I try and explain my low MCAT score during the interview (if I even get one)? Some people swear against it and some have told me to let them know why you didn't do so hot. In all honesty, I did poor because I've never been good at standarized testing. I got a 31 on AAMC 9 so I felt confident. The real thing just wiped me out though.

As far as the "connections" go, I think you're right about that. In fact, I'm thinking about telling them to hold off because I don't want to come across as a guy that neglected the MCAT because of a cocky attitude with help from connections. I'd rather not get accepted and retake the MCAT and ace it to prove I belong there.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a member of an adcom, i can tell you as a matter of fact that you will NOT be given any sort of preference because you are hispanic. It would be discriminatory and unlawful. We also do not give any preference to the status/profession of the writers of LOR.

Your GPA is good, but you MCAT is just barely acceptable. I encourge you to apply, and gain experience in the process.

As a member of an adcom, i can tell you as a matter of fact that you will NOT be given any sort of preference because you are hispanic. It would be discriminatory and unlawful. We also do not give any preference to the status/profession of the writers of LOR.

Your GPA is good, but you MCAT is just barely acceptable. I encourge you to apply, and gain experience in the process.

The two Adcoms I am familiar with both do factor in the Hispanic ethnicity. Several schools do - that is the reason it is directly asked on the primary application. Not that a decision hangs on it, but it is a factor.

Status/Profession of LOR writers isn't completely ignored - that would make no sense. If you work at a local burger joint, a rec from your manager won't carry nearly as much weight as a Professor you did research for [extreme example, I know, but you get the point].

Your GPA is obviously fine. I think your MCAT is beyond acceptable. A majority of schools use 8 as the cutoff on individual sections. Unless you got all 8s, you will be screened out at several schools.

The two Adcoms I am familiar with both do factor in the Hispanic ethnicity. Several schools do - that is the reason it is directly asked on the primary application. Not that a decision hangs on it, but it is a factor.

Status/Profession of LOR writers isn't completely ignored - that would make no sense. If you work at a local burger joint, a rec from your manager won't carry nearly as much weight as a Professor you did research for [extreme example, I know, but you get the point].

Your GPA is obviously fine. I think your MCAT is beyond acceptable. A majority of schools use 8 as the cutoff on individual sections. Unless you got all 8s, you will be screened out at several schools.

Just because you meet the mins. to apply to a school for their MCAT requirement doesn't mean the school will give you a legitimate chance at acceptance with those numbers. If the OP could get a 30 mcat he/she would open a lot more doors. With a 24 the OP will see if he/she has any doors open. Time will tell.

Just because you meet the mins. to apply to a school for their MCAT requirement doesn't mean the school will give you a legitimate chance at acceptance with those numbers. If the OP could get a 30 mcat he/she would open a lot more doors. With a 24 the OP will see if he/she has any doors open. Time will tell.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not, but certainly a 30 opens several doors. But assuming they continue with a 24, I just don't think those doors are open.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not, but certainly a 30 opens several doors. But assuming they continue with a 24, I just don't think those doors are open.

I actually think I was agreeing with you. I understood what you said wrong the first time around. LOL. Sorry.

I'm confused - so what exactly is affirmative action then?

AA is not practiced in all states, I'm really suprised that some school do apparently give preference to ethnicity.

At my school, ethnicity is not a factor.

And that's what I'm going by - hoping they DO have doors open for an interview. But... my question still remains --> Should I attempt to explain the low MCAT or completely ignore it in the interview?

And that's what I'm going by - hoping they DO have doors open for an interview. But... my question still remains --> Should I attempt to explain the low MCAT or completely ignore it in the interview?

Well, do you have a good reason for it? Most likely it will just be an excuss. If you didn't prepare enough, then simple study your butt off and retake. If you were sick that day, retake.

I wouldn't not explain your mcat score unless asked about it at your interview. If they do bring it up, try to spin it into something of a somewhat acceptable reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think I was agreeing with you. I understood what you said wrong the first time around. LOL. Sorry.

haha no problem :)

and yes to what MedAdcom said - AA is NOT officially a factor in all states.

and at the interview, only bring it up if they do. theres no reason to draw extra attention to it.

i think you have a shot w/ your ethnicity. if youre a female, thats a double bonus.

as far as the connections, id ask them to write strong lor's. if you get wl, then ask if they can speak w/ the adcom in person or make a phone call on your behalf. like you said, you dont want to come off as a cocky candidate that didnt take the mcat seriously.

good luck!

i think you have a shot w/ your ethnicity. if youre a female, thats a double bonus.

as far as the connections, id ask them to write strong lor's. if you get wl, then ask if they can speak w/ the adcom in person or make a phone call on your behalf. like you said, you dont want to come off as a cocky candidate that didnt take the mcat seriously.

good luck!

At my school, women has been the majority of incoming matriculants for the past 8 straight years.

You can call the secretary of adcom to ask them about your status, but phoning us will not give you any preference or extra consideration.

One thing that may fly in other schools is soon after your interview, you write a letter of intent describing how you were impressed with the campus and would like to make this school your first choice. I have seen one of my friends getting accepted soon after writing this, although I don't know whether its a coincidence or not.

One thing that may fly in other schools is soon after your interview, you write a letter of intent describing how you were impressed with the campus and would like to make this school your first choice. I have seen one of my friends getting accepted soon after writing this, although I don't know whether its a coincidence or not.

Yeah this is an interesting thing. I wonder if there is a generalization of whether or not a LoI helps? One of the schools I'm involved at does look favorably at an LoI, but the other does not. Hmmm...

At my school, women has been the majority of incoming matriculants for the past 8 straight years.

You can call the secretary of adcom to ask them about your status, but phoning us will not give you any preference or extra consideration.

ive heard most schools are close to 50/50 ratio of male and females. but ive also heard that there is a large shortage of hispanic females, muchless hispanic male physicians.

definitely agree w/ the letter of interest/intent. its a great way to give an update and also show the school that you really want to go there if given an opportunity. some schools discourage it but in general, i think its something you can only benefit from.

ive heard most schools are close to 50/50 ratio of male and females. but ive also heard that there is a large shortage of hispanic females, muchless hispanic male physicians.

definitely agree w/ the letter of interest/intent. its a great way to give an update and also show the school that you really want to go there if given an opportunity. some schools discourage it but in general, i think its something you can only benefit from.

It is close to 50/50, but most schools have established a trend over the years of which way they lean. I think this is what MedAdcom is referring to.

I like the idea of a letter of intent. But do you write that immediately after the interview or after you've gotten your acceptance? I have a school that I really want to go to and I'm pretty sure I'll get an interview because their MCAT ranges were from 19 to 36. So I would definitely write a LOI for that school.

I like the idea of a letter of intent. But do you write that immediately after the interview or after you've gotten your acceptance? I have a school that I really want to go to and I'm pretty sure I'll get an interview because their MCAT ranges were from 19 to 36. So I would definitely write a LOI for that school.

You write a letter of intent after your interview. It is also done when you are placed on a wait list. The idea of an LoI is that you really want an acceptance from that school. Therefore, it would not be written after you already have been accepted.

You write a letter of intent after your interview. It is also done when you are placed on a wait list. The idea of an LoI is that you really want an acceptance from that school. Therefore, it would not be written after you already have been accepted.

I don't know how much LOI help. The process seems so random, I almost believe the waitlist is even more random. But, just my opinion.

3.8 something, 2 B's in some stupid electives I took a freshman "for fun." Well, those 2 B's as a freshman, and one B in biochemistry, w/ isn't an elective.

Last edited:
But I mean I got A's throughout gen chem, biology, o chem, genetics, and other upper level science courses, some honors, the only science B I have is that one in biochem I, which really pissed me off. But I aced biochem II.

If anyone has ever taken biochem, don't make the same mistake as me... it is NOT like ochem.

But I mean I got A's throughout gen chem, biology, o chem, genetics, and other upper level science courses, some honors, the only science B I have is that one in biochem I, which really pissed me off. But I aced biochem II.

Your grades are obviously not your issue. I think we have certainly established that. Just focus on the MCAT and see if there is any way you can do anything about that.

If anyone has ever taken biochem, don't make the same mistake as me... it is NOT like ochem.

lol? Did someone tell you it is? You should go beat them with a stick until the look like a dying banana! :diebanana:

Just wanted to use that. :)

Last edited:
A formal MCAT prep course should be in your future if you didn't do one (and assuming you don't get in this year). You can learn some valuable strategies, along with reviewing the necessary science knowledge.

What was your MCAT score breakdown?

7 VR, 8 PS, 9 BS

I guess you could say consistency, but definitely not as high as I would want.

Ya, I thought long and hard about taking a prep course but decided against it because I knew I could make myself sit down and study, but that wasn't enough. If I don't get in, I'm definitely doing a prep course.

On another note, I contacted some of the schools I'm applying to and told them my MCAT scores and GPA and asked whether or not I should even apply. I know some of them have "unofficial cutoffs" but they still insisted I apply. I'm pretty sure they're that just to steal my money from secondaries.

Biochem is fun and I like it :thumbup:

On another note, I contacted some of the schools I'm applying to and told them my MCAT scores and GPA and asked whether or not I should even apply. I know some of them have "unofficial cutoffs" but they still insisted I apply. I'm pretty sure they're that just to steal my money from secondaries.
You never know, I would be surprised if you get in this year.

You never know, I would be surprised if you get in this year.

I just want to say that I'm sure longhorn meant to say he/she would not be surprised if you get in this year :)

I just want to say that I'm sure longhorn meant to say he/she would not be surprised if you get in this year :)

Haha. Surely. All I can say... we'll see what happens. In all honesty, the fact that I know 100%, absolutely, positively, want to be a doctor is enough for me. If I don't get accepted... well, "it's not about how hard you get hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward" (Corny, I Know) I'll study harder, pick up that disgusting score and should be golden. I'll get back to you all on the updates but thanks for all your input.

Haha, yes I meant would not! Thanks for correcting me.

Compare to gpa, low MCAT is a lot easier to fix. Just take a prep course, kick your butt to study and I truely believe everyone should be able to get at least 30.

Haha. Surely. All I can say... we'll see what happens. In all honesty, the fact that I know 100%, absolutely, positively, want to be a doctor is enough for me. If I don't get accepted... well, "it's not about how hard you get hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward" (Corny, I Know) I'll study harder, pick up that disgusting score and should be golden. I'll get back to you all on the updates but thanks for all your input.

You know what, your attitude is fantastic. I wish everyone posting here on WAMC had your attitude. That optimism and perseverance will get you places, and imo, it will get you an MD :D

Haha, yes I meant would not! Thanks for correcting me.

Compare to gpa, low MCAT is a lot easier to fix. Just take a prep course, kick your butt to study and I truely believe everyone should be able to get at least 30.

haha no problem :)

but yeah, just be ready to take that mcat again. unfortunately, there are those that just cant break 30 :( regardless of how much prep and money they spend. dont fall into that group OP :)