3.90 cGPA / 3.93 sGPA / 4.0 MS GPA / MCAT 515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livvy99

Reaction score
Hi guys! Current med school applicant still stuck in this current cycle, and trying to get feedback on my application. I have a feeling I may need to reapply, and wanted to see how I could better my application. The following information offers a little bit more insight on me and my application:

State of Residence: Connecticut

GPAs:
Undergrad Cumulative: 3.94 (** from the university i graduated from, 3.91 overall including my transfer)
Undergrad Science: 3.93
MS in Addiction Psychology: 4.0

MCAT Cumulative score: 515
> Chem & Physical foundation: 128
> CARS: 129
> Bio & Biochem: 129
> Psych: 129

Research experience:
>Year long research experience working on a pediatric endocrinology study being done at Yale School of Medicine; was named second co-author and research was submitted to the ADA for publication.

Clinical experience:
>~600 hrs working overnights as a technician in the oncology department of my local hospital
>~200 hrs (and continuing) working in the hospital psych department with dual-diagnosis PTs counseling/writing treatment plants/PT notes/discharges
>~180 hrs working in a patient care facility for Alzheimer's PTs
>~40 hrs shadowing in a pediatric endocrinology clinic
>~10 hrs shadowing a wound care physician (and dressing/staging wounds)

Extracurricular:
> 2 years of college volleyball (career cut short because I fractured both femurs); 1x NCAA appearance
> 4 years of college swim; 2 year captain of the team
> 2 years of representing the swim team for the Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC)
> 2 years of University Senate elected on behalf all NCAA teams to represent athletics
> 2 years of working as a waitress/bartender
> 2 years as a high school volleyball coach

Volunteering:
> 80 hours volunteering as an assistant volleyball coach for one season at a Catholic high school

Misc:
>Two additional things I included in my application that I thought would be important to note here is that I took two gap years between high school and college. Out of college I was scouted and signed by a modeling agency in NYC, and during that time I walked 4 seasons of New York Fashion Week, a season at Milan Fashion Week, and shot a Nordstrom campaign. I noted that while it was a cool opportunity, it made me realize how much I missed learning and how unfulfilled I felt as a model-- and how that was what ultimately inspired my return to school.
>I also talked about what it was going through college with a chronic illness-- if you couldn't tell by all my endocrinology work, I am type 1 diabetic. Part of my app I talked about balancing school and extracurriculars and work (so that I could afford my insulin) all while staying on top of my blood sugar levels and A1C.
> Context on the two broken femurs: that's actually how I began swimming in college. On my app, I talked about how fracturing both of my femurs lead me to walk away from volleyball and focus on swim. I was learned to adapt to the situation I was dealt and taught me about resilience, and being flexible to deviations from my plans.

Schools and Timelines:
I received secondary applications for all of my schools (I applied only to MD this cycle but am open to DO), and so far I've received the following responses:
> Rejections: Stanford, SUNY Downstate, Columbia, Dartmouth, UCLA, Vanderbilt, Brown, Georgetown
>Waitlisted: UC San Diego
> Still waiting to hear back from: Wake Forest, Duke, Uconn, Yale, Harvard, Tufts

I completed my primary app within days of opening, but due to COVID my original MCAT was cancelled and postponed so I didn't have my MCAT test scores until early August. I started my secondary apps upon receiving them (like mid-to-late August after my MCAT scores were received), and continued working on them through September.

I apologize for the LONG read-- and want to sincerely thank those that read this far! Is there any advice on how I can improve my application for next cycle or if there are any further experiences I should seek out that could make me a stronger candidate? Through my master's I'm working on getting a literature review published, but otherwise I'm not really sure what else I could do with possible interim time or how I should feel about this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

So I think your application is great both stats and activities wise. Super impressive that you balanced those activities and your diabetes and sorry about those fractures (ouch). Hopefully your waitlist turns into an A.

While you certainly have great activities and an interesting/compelling story, I think you ultimately applied too heavy and to t few schools - many of your schools have MCAT averages >518. That + the relatively late submission with the MCAT likely hurt a bit. This year try to get everything in as early as possible and apply more broadly. It’s fine to have reached but target more mid tiers.

Again I think it’s bizarre that an applicant like you only had one interview but it’s just very competitive sadly.

Reactions: 1 user