3.90 cGPA, 4.00 sGPA (URM, Unique Situation)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guywith8ws

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everybody. I am new to the forum, but I have been lurking around for a few years. I am a rising junior currently going to a top-100 university, and I am majoring in biomedical informatics (think biomedicine and computer science).

GPA: 3.90 cGPA, 4.00 sGPA

Clinical Experience:
1+ years medical interpreter for medically underserved patients at a community clinic
Shadowing physicians at Mayo Clinic this fall and spring

Leadership Experience:
1 year working with migrant students in educational outreach program
1+ years student ambassador in student organization with focus on education outreach (recently elected to e-board)

Research Experience:
None, but most likely starting in fall under bioinformatics professor through NIH-funded initiative to sponsor URM students in research

Note:
Underrepresented minority (URM) student (Hispanic American)

I recently interviewed for a job in collaboration with Mayo Clinic, and the interviewer mentioned really liking my application and possibly hearing back in a few days. During the next two to four years, I plan on dedicating more time to research, doing an internship at a local hospital, founding an ambassador program for the biomedical informatics department and, possibly, founding a nonprofit dedicated to reaching out to URM students interested in STEM.

I am planning on obtaining a MS after my undergraduate degree for 3 reasons: 1. to have more time to get involved both in extracurricular clinical and leadership opportunities, 2. dedicate more time to research and 3. have more time to study for the MCAT.

My biggest worry? I have 8 W's on my transcript, hence my username. 6 were from freshman year due to 3 reasons: 1. bad advising in my previous program, 2. a multitude of events that resulted in me having a car accident, losing my job in the same week, having personal troubles in relationship and family and 3. bad planning on my behalf, which I accept is my fault.

I brought this up with an English professor who mentioned being able to help me write my PS once I applied (keeping in mind his experience with previous students who got accepted due to his help). He mentioned it was obviously something that would need to be addressed on my PS, although being well written it should not be not be held against me. (Fingers crossed.)

I would really like to pursue an MD-PhD route, especially at a top-tier school (e.g. Columbia, Harvard, JHU, Stanford) because I am interested in an academic career. Most of the professors in my department are Ivy League alumni, and the dean of the college was also involved with Mayo Clinic for a long time. (Hence, I can always get excellent LoRs, as I have met a few in the past and am planning to collaborate in the future.)

In all honesty if I keep up my ECs, grades and get a great MCAT score, what are my chances? Harsh criticism, any criticism is accepted. Thank you very much for any input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Continue your activities, but study especially hard for the MCAT. Getting a great MCAT score will open many doors for you, especially since you have a great GPA and are a URM. I don't know how the 8 Ws will be viewed. Just focus on the MCAT for now!

Your W's are very early. Keep your grades stellar while taking an ambitious workload. This can show significant progress, which ADCOMs love. Don't make excuses in your PS. That's what secondaries are for. Your PS is to sell yourself, not sell yourself short.