3.91 cGPA, 517 MCAT Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumpr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyo!

Current applicant. Accepted 1 place, II another (very excited for), 1 rejection (Pitt.) Wondering if I can expect further IIs, given that most of the schools I have yet to hear from are in Top 20. I love the school where I've been accepted, and am going to prepare a good deal for my second interview, but I definitely would like to have the opportunity to explore a bit more.

Stats:
517 MCAT (131 PP, 129 CP, 129 CARS, 128 BB)
3.91 GPA.
LizzyM 74.10
Top 3 undergraduate institution.
Major: Earth Sciences
Minor: Global Health/Health Policy.

EC's:
Varsity athlete (>>2000 hours) in year-round sport. D1 program. Several high finishes in league champs + team awards. Definitely takes up most of my time.
Course assistant (>>500 hours) in mathematical biology. Been doing this for past 3 years.
Glacial fieldwork/research in Alaska for summer. Research presented at national conference.
Geochemistry research (>500 hours). Continuing research in lab and am part of lab group. No pubs, though.
Homeless shelter volunteering (>100 hours, including permanent position)
Clinical research in trauma surgery (summer after freshman year...though it was in dad's research group.)
Outside medical Spanish course.

Recs:
I think they're very good. 1 from physician I shadowed for a year, 1 from anthro professor, 1 from math professor whose course I've assisted in for past 3 years, 1 from anatomy professor, 1 from varsity coach, 1 from lab PI/professor in geochem.

Shadowing:
~80 hours, across surgery, neurology, etc.

Applied to 15 schools, including numerous heavy hitters (e.g. Penn, Harvard, Yale, UCSF, Mayo, Chicago, JHU...) Glad that I am in somewhere this early because being a physician is much more important to me than the ranking. But also, am somewhat unsure of whether or not to be concerned by relative lack of II's at this point in the cycle. Many around me seem to have 4-6 IIs and I don't know what the timing of further interviews "should" look like for an applicant such as myself (if more are coming at all...). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How much clinical volunteering do you have done?

Reactions: 1 user
My impression is that the heavy hitters send IIs out later in the season. I have 5 IIs (low GPA, high MCAT, very non-trad), but all are from 3 state schools (that love non traditional students and high MCATs) and two rolling admissions mid-tier schools. Three of the five were last minute additions to my list for various reasons, so I’d be sitting at just two if I hadn’t added them. There are a few applicants with crazy numbers of IIs, but it’s fewer than it seems - I think every single one is on SDN ;) I’ve heard it will take a bit longer for most high stats applicants to get interviews. I think you will likely get at least one more II, but it might take a bit longer. It depends on your list and a variety of factors - like how they stratify applications and how the adcom feels that day.

Take home message is that the appearance of everyone having multiple IIs right now is largely do to the self-selecting nature of SDN.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
God I hope this isn't true

I should modify that and say "to higher ranked schools."

It's really because those schools take longer to send IIs out. There's still a lot of time in the application cycle and those who got IIs first were likely those who got multiple IIs because of some indescribable aspect of their applications that led to their superstar status.

There's still a lot of time in the application cycle and those who got IIs first were likely those who got multiple IIs because of some indescribable aspect of their applications that led to their superstar status.

God I hope this is true

Heyo!

Current applicant. Accepted 1 place, II another (very excited for), 1 rejection (Pitt.) Wondering if I can expect further IIs, given that most of the schools I have yet to hear from are in Top 20. I love the school where I've been accepted, and am going to prepare a good deal for my second interview, but I definitely would like to have the opportunity to explore a bit more.

Stats:
517 MCAT (131 PP, 129 CP, 129 CARS, 128 BB)
3.91 GPA.
LizzyM 74.10
Top 3 undergraduate institution.
Major: Earth Sciences
Minor: Global Health/Health Policy.

EC's:
Varsity athlete (>>2000 hours) in year-round sport. D1 program. Several high finishes in league champs + team awards. Definitely takes up most of my time.
Course assistant (>>500 hours) in mathematical biology. Been doing this for past 3 years.
Glacial fieldwork/research in Alaska for summer. Research presented at national conference.
Geochemistry research (>500 hours). Continuing research in lab and am part of lab group. No pubs, though.
Homeless shelter volunteering (>100 hours, including permanent position)
Clinical research in trauma surgery (summer after freshman year...though it was in dad's research group.)
Outside medical Spanish course.

Recs:
I think they're very good. 1 from physician I shadowed for a year, 1 from anthro professor, 1 from math professor whose course I've assisted in for past 3 years, 1 from anatomy professor, 1 from varsity coach, 1 from lab PI/professor in geochem.

Shadowing:
~80 hours, across surgery, neurology, etc.

Applied to 15 schools, including numerous heavy hitters (e.g. Penn, Harvard, Yale, UCSF, Mayo, Chicago, JHU...) Glad that I am in somewhere this early because being a physician is much more important to me than the ranking. But also, am somewhat unsure of whether or not to be concerned by relative lack of II's at this point in the cycle. Many around me seem to have 4-6 IIs and I don't know what the timing of further interviews "should" look like for an applicant such as myself (if more are coming at all...). Thanks!
You're golden, but the lack of clinical experience (and the research doesn't count) has me worried.

@Goro The research doesn't count? Isn't any research good research even if it's not biomedical?

I mean...is it really that awful that my dad was the head of the research group? I was still in the ED working. Maybe it is...not sure.

@Goro The research doesn't count? Isn't any research good research even if it's not biomedical?

he is saying that the clinical research will not count as clinical experience like clinical volunteering or scibing etc would count. not that your research will not help you

Fair enough. But is the shadowing/volunteering not enough on top of that? I've shadowed in neurosurgery, vascular surgery, trauma surgery, and neurology. That doesn't constitute clinical experience?

Fair enough. But is the shadowing/volunteering not enough on top of that? I've shadowed in neurosurgery, vascular surgery, trauma surgery, and neurology. That doesn't constitute clinical experience?

They do count as clinical experience but are very passive forms of it. The best clinical experience is when you are the one that is talking with the patient - thus getting direct patient contact. There are ways to spin it. For example when I shadowed a neurosurgeon I also served as a medical translator whenever a Spanish speaking patient came into the neurosurgical clinic. I volunteered at a free health care clinic for the homeless and was in charge of taking patient histories - that is the kind of strong clinical experience that admissions is looking for. Then again I am just another lowly applicant so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Yeah...I was conducting patient interviews in the ED after freshman year and talked about that in PS. So perhaps that'd come across as more direct patient contact.

Honestly, though...I think I'm freaking out way too early in the process. And I do realize I've been given a wonderful opportunity already. Good to know that I will be learning to save lives no matter what next year, even if the "ranking" isn't what I (arrogantly/foolishly) had expected previously. And in the end, does that even matter significantly?

If more II's come through, I think it'd be nice for my ego, but not critical for what I want to do. And maybe what I need before going into medicine is more humility and hard work and less prestige.

I have no idea how each school views specific activities - I have extensive work experience with a tremendous leadership component, but did not label it as such. So it’s possible that some schools will see that and think “leader” others will not. It sounds like you have sufficient clinical experience as long as schools read you activities descriptions. I still have no idea what they are looking for. Keep us posted on any more IIs!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile