3.92 and 36Q, competitive enough for cali?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haloschief

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a resident of California and am hoping to have my application in on June 1st. Cumulative gpa is 3.92 and my science GPA is around 3.98. My biggest areas of weakness are clinical experience and ECs. Part of the reason for this is having to work all 4 years in college to pay for tuition. I aiming for the UC med schools.

Undergrad Research (2.5 years)
-published a paper in an undergrad journal
-gave a talk and did a couple of posterboard presentations
Also, I was recently hired by my lab to work part time (20 hrs/week) as an MRI tech.

Clinical Experience
This is where I feel like I've been weak. I volunteered at a hospital for 2.5 years in high school accumulating 400+ hours. However, since entering college I've been unable to commit to volunteering since I don't have a car and am working close to at least 20hrs/week. I did start volunteering at that hospital again a few months ago (4hrs/week) after I graduated since I now have a car and don't have to worry about tuition expenses. I am also a volunteer trainer for the volunteering program that they have.

Tutoring (2+ years)
I do small group instruction in organic chemistry (10+ hours/week). I also supervise/evaluate other tutors providing them feedback on their performances and set goals for them. Would this count as leadership?

Work and ECs
I feel that work has been an important part of my life. I've done a couple of blue collar jobs in high school and college (grocery market, fastfood...) to help my parents pay for my expenses. Since entering college, I've been working part time (20 hrs/week). I worked as a staff photographer for my school's newspaper for 3 years. Also worked a campus job for 3 years. Would this have any significance on on my app?
Part of a community service organization (2 years). No board position however.

Shadowing
Started shadowing late. Just started a couple weeks ago shadowing a surgeon. Right now I've accumulated 10 hours so I know this is something to work on.
Despite your great numbers, Cali schools are a crap shoot. I won't help that your ECs are weak. Apply broadly, inlcuding OOS schools.

Tutoring is seen as Teaching, another valued category on the application. Training volunteers, OTOH, is Leadership.

A 20 hour work week wouldn't be considered an excuse for a lack of volunteerism, clinical experience, and shadowing. However, 40 hours/week would excuse lighter involvement. I suggest that you continue with some form of clinical experience and nonmedical community service through the application season and discuss it in update letters (in the hope that it will sway adcomms positively on your file). Get in at least 40 hours of shadowing before you submit. Work it up to a total of at least 60 hours after submission and discuss in update letters. Be sure to include a primary care doc.

Including a unique hobby would be helpful, if you have one.

Are you trying to rub this in? Of course you would get accepted unless of course they don't like you which then that would be too bad but good luck :).