3.92 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA, 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted545718

I'm applying this cycle and could use a little guidance.

GPA: 3.88 science, 3.92 cumulative

MCAT: 1st time: 30 (10/10/10) retake: 31 (10/11/10)--pretty bummed about this, as I felt really great the second time, but it is what it is I suppose. At least I'm consistent...

ECs: I graduated Fall 2013 and I've been working full time as an ED/Primary care scribe since March. I was recently promoted to lead scribe as well. I have EMT and ED Tech shadowing experience, but no specific physician shadowing yet, although I have scheduled with several doctors for the upcoming summer and fall. I have volunteered 50+ hours in an emergency department and plan to start volunteering at a Children's Hospital at the end of the month. I've also worked as an orgo tutor, bio TA, child mentor, and shift leader at Dunkin' Donuts. I was the coordinator for a student group dedicated to service and education related to homelessness in Washington DC for three years.

Research: I completed a thesis in biological anthropology, but have no lab benchwork experience.

List of schools:
George Washington (my undergrad, also my 1st choice)
Georgetown
SLU
Brown (in-state, but apparently that's not very helpful)
Tufts
Rush
Cornell (definitely a reach, but I really like the school)
U Kansas
U Illinois
Albany Medical College

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also, how much does the 30/31 MCAT hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools consider clinical hours to mean physician shadowing or hospital volunteering/employment. Thus your scribe work definitely counts for that aspect, so you don't absolutely need to worry about shadowing. EMT is considered "patient experience" (not doctor experience) and many med schools don't count it toward the clinical hours they are looking for (Some schools such as GU SOM do). Lack of research is not holding you back. Most schools don't care about it unless you are applying MD/PHD.

On your application, make sure your experiences show teamwork and then leadership. Leadership is great and you need to show it on your application, but emphasizing teamwork is even better. Don't write your personal statement about all these things you mentioned here. Tell a story that includes no more than 3 of your experiences. If I were you I would talk about how your scribe experience has lead you to want to become a physician. Save other good stories for the secondaries. There will be plenty of essays for you to share there.

You need to consider going a little more south. There are some good schools down there for your range.

I recommend adding any of these: U Maryland, Penn State, TJ, Univ of Vermont, VCU, BU, Rochester, Wake Forest, UVA, U Conn, EVMS, maybe even UMass. (Besides Wake, I don't recommend any NC or SC schools b/c they heavily favor instate to the point that its not worth applying. )

It's CRUCIAL that you apply to a wide range of schools, meaning lots of safety schools. Do you have an MSAR account? Look for schools on there that match your rank. You need to not only look at the averages for the schools but also the range. Some schools have much broader ranges than others, which usually indicates that they are not as picky about test scores.

I know you have experience that you are planning to do, but you should submit your application right away b/c it takes a month to process it and rolling admissions can translate into early bird gets the worm. I'm talking June 1st have it submitted. You can't submit until they have all your transcripts and that can take a couple weeks to process, so send that to them ASAP if you have not already. You can alway send schools an update of your accomplishments later. Most of them like that.

Hope this helps!

This was the most helpful feedback I've ever gotten, so thanks for that!

The reason I put EMT/ED tech shadowing with physician shadowing is so that I can show I have plans to shadow doctors. Otherwise, the AAMC app won't let you add experience you haven't done yet, so I tried to figure out the best honest way to put it on there without having done it yet, while also not waiting to submit my application.

For my personal statement, the only activity I plan on writing about is scribing, but I didn't want to emphasize it too much since I've only been scribing for a short amount of time. I was planning on making it a "most meaningful experience" so I could talk more about it there. I also wanted to use my personal statement to talk about things that can't necessarily be put on an application, like my motivation for practicing medicine (obviously), and how I've matured/developed empathy, and realized the importance of humanism, not just science, in medicine. Those may sound cliche but I'm pretty confident I can convey them in a creative, personalized way. Is it bad not to talk about specific activities?

As for schools, this was helpful. I was planning on U Maryland and Penn State, but forgot to mention them. I'd love UMass, but isn't that in-state only? I'll definitely consider adding some of the schools on your list. I do have the MSAR, and use it heavily, but I guess I was still unsure about how my MCAT scores affected the rest of my application, so your feedback is helpful.

I'm definitely planning to submit my application as early as possible. I need to finish my personal statement and write about my most meaningful experiences (and add med schools to apply to), but everything else is complete. Again, thanks for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I actually woke up this morning and thought "Shoot, I recommended UMass and it's in state." Sorry about that. I personally think you should write your personal statement about one story from your scribing experience. I don't think it matters that you only did it for a short time; I think they would care more about what you got out of it. I would go into detail about a doctor or patient that you worked with or witness that really had an influence on why you want to be doctor. I'm not sure if putting it in the experience section is good enough to emphasize it. Usually a single person opens your application and reads it. They have 10,000 to read, so I would imagine they sort based on MCAT, GPA, and then read the intro to your essay. Whatever matters most to you is what you should write your essay on. Schools like UVA really love to see scribe work during a gap year or for a reapplicant. 50% of people that apply are usually not directly out of college, so don't think that hurt you at all. Talk about what you did during your time out but it is a positive not a negative. Glad I could help. Check the other schools for in state out of state demographics and MCAT/GPA range.

MSAR online is your friend. Cornell? Really?Goro must bring you back to reality. The MCAT is 2-3 points below avg, and thus limits you to low tier schools. It's fine for any DO school, including mine.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also, how much does the 30/31 MCAT hurt me?[/QUOTE]

Goro suggests:

Hofstra School of Medicine
Albany Medical College\
Creighton
Rush Medical College
G-town
GWU
NY Medical College
Loyola
Tulane
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Wake Forest
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Miami
Einstein
Jefferson
All new MD schools
VCU
EVMS
Any DO program

Listen to Goro, he is like the premed advisor we never had. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't see this feedback until now, but thanks everyone!