3.92 cGPA, 3.98 sGPA, 28N MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armywife06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.92 cGPA, and 3.98 sGPA, Chemistry major with minor in Biology, but I scored 28N (9-PS, 10-VR, 9-BS) on my first MCAT. I took the MCAT again on July 8th and feel a lot better about this one, but still waiting on scores.
I am a non-traditional student. My husband is active duty army (retiring in February) we have two children together and my three step-sons also live with us so this takes up some of my time.
NC resident

ECs:

3 years volunteering for Family Readiness Group
Awarded a civilian medal by the Army: Artillery Order of Molly Pitcher
Then all the usual: honor society, blah, blah.
100+ shadowing hours

Research:
Soybean Genomics- I presented at the International Plant and Animal Genome Conference and is being submitted for publication (2nd author)
Enstatite Meteorites- I work on the newest electron microprobe analyzing enstatite meteorites funded by NASA and NSF. There is only one other university that has one and it's Yale.
Classifying Northwest Africa Meteorites- working on microprobe to classify meteorites, funded by the American Astronomical Society.

What are my chances with my first score? I really hope my 2nd score improved. My practice scores were 30-34 the first go around and 33-36 study for the second one.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those applying with your stats through AMCAS have had a 68.3%chance of an acceptance. If your new score is in the 30-32 range, that chance rises to 82.6%. This would presume supportive LORs, strong Personal Statement, and the expected ECs.

Your shadowing hours are above average. Do you have any clinical experience to list where you interacted with sick people? The research sounds very good. The nonmedical community service is great.

That's the only thing I don't think I have, it the clinical experience which includes sick people. I did get to talk to patients when I was shadowing, which included some very sick people, don't know if that counts. My time is already constrained, with school, family, and research. I don't know where exactly to go to get volunteering that includes patient interaction. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get clinical experience with sick people through the workplace, for class credit, data gathering for a clinical trial, or via volunteerism. It can be gained at a free, family-planning, or private clinic, hospice, hospital, VA, residential home, rehabilitation facility, nursing home, as a first responder, among others.

Clinical patient experience is not always gained in a clinical environment, eg EMT, battle field medic, home hospice care, physical therapy aide, special camp environments. In such a case, you also should acquire some experience in a clinical milieu where doctors work, like one of the above.

The majority would volunteer somewhere for 3-4 hours per week to gain the needed experience. Are some of the above venues available nearby? Can civilians volunteer in Army facilities?

I'm not sure if civilians can volunteer in army facilities, but I will check it out and see. Thanks!