3.92 GPA, 30MCAT, etc.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popsod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what my chances were for the following med schools. I am a california resident (unfortunately):

UC Irvine, UCSD, UCLA, UCSF, UC Davis, NYU, USC, Drexel, Columbia, Loma Linda.

GPA: 3.93 cumulative, 3.9 science
MCAT: 30 (11 bio, 9 ps, 10 v)

ECs: For a total of 6 months, I worked as an EMT-B/ambulance attendant for a non-emergency ambulance company (2 summers, in essence). During the school year, I would volunteer at a free clinic doing basic work (vitals, med history, filing, etc) . I have 1 year of research experience, working in a laboratory in the medical school. However, I have no publications to my name and only a poster presentation.

I would appreciate any feedback.. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances at Columbia, NYU, UCSD, and UCSF are really low. I don't even think it's worth your time/money to apply to Columbia and NYU. USC, Irvine, and UCLA are a little better, but still not a great shot. Davis is probably a good reach. Drexel and Loma Linda are definetely within your range, but your list of schools is way way way too top heavy. You need to apply a *lot* more broadly.

I see a couple of red flags that may keep you from being competitive, especially at the really top tier schools that you've listed (ie: Columbia, UCLA, UCSF): a 9 on the PS section of your MCAT and very average research/volunteer experiences. But your GPA is excellent. As a CA resident, I'm sure you know that you're already at a disadvantage. The best advice I can give you is apply broadly. I hope you've also included less selective schools to your list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I should be able to get a publication as a 2nd/3rd author by next month. Would that likely increase my chances? Also, i didn't list all schools: oregon health sciences, albany medical college, university of hawaii, etc.

i think my best bet is to retake the mcat....

Retaking the MCAT probably isn't a good idea, unless you feel you can do a lot better, and that the 30 was a fluke. If you are pretty sure you can score over a 34 if you take it again, then go for it. If not, then retaking isn't worth it.

I should be able to get a publication as a 2nd/3rd author by next month. Would that likely increase my chances? Also, i didn't list all schools: oregon health sciences, albany medical college, university of hawaii, etc.

i think my best bet is to retake the mcat....

Adding ibe publication to your application won't increase your chances at the Cali. schools dramatically.