3.92 sGPA 3.86 cGPA 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CascadaFan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I herd u lik mudkipz.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're way above average for any DO applicant and your stats and ecs are good. You should be fine, stop stressing out! You sure you don't want to try MD?

I don't want MD to be honest. Without saying too much, one member of my family had a huge hand in the AOA, I would probably be shunned (not really) if I went to a MD school.

Thanks for your advice, I have been freaking out a lot. I was worried that because I've never volunteered in a hospital (just a nursing home) I was going to be pushed aside.

I will be volunteering in a hospital though, so if it comes up in an interview I can discuss it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm afraid the advice you received from imanooblar is way off the mark. You lack of hospital clinical experience will be the death knell of your application. Have you thought about becoming a PA?

I'm afraid the advice you received from imanooblar is way off the mark. You lack of hospital clinical experience will be the death knell of your application. Have you thought about becoming a PA?

Nursing home volunteering is clinical in a sense. This is because clinical experience in itself is about working with people with medical needs and seeing if you can deal with it. By working with elderly ( which is a medical specialty in itself) in a nursing home should suffices that requirement. As LizzyM say's, "if you're close enough that you can smell the patient its clinical experience."

Last edited:
Not only is time in a nursing home working with their clients generally considered "clinical experience," but so it the time that a Pharmacy Tech spends at the window dispensing to patients. The additional hospital volunteering will add a nice breadth of experience, though.

With your family contacts, I'd have thought I'd see more than the average amount of shadowing.

The research looks good and the teaching is excellent.

I've been watching your posts. You always have something negative to chime in with.

Are you the buzz kill guy?

We will call you Buzz Killington

I've also been watching your other posts... stop bashing DO's / being a tool.

Let him be a jerk. He doesn't understand DOs as the same, but I'm sure they just practice witchcraft, right? I mean, that's why they don't get accepted into prestigious residencies like my friend just did getting into an MD neurosurgical residency...he definitely doesn't practice real medicine because he's a DO ;) some people need to get a grip

Not only is time in a nursing home working with their clients generally considered "clinical experience," but so it the time that a Pharmacy Tech spends at the window dispensing to patients. The additional hospital volunteering will add a nice breadth of experience, though.

With your family contacts, I'd have thought I'd see more than the average amount of shadowing.

The research looks good and the teaching is excellent.
Wait...really??! So my job as a tech isn't a waste of time?

Even if they never let you near the cash register, how could learning about all the common pharmaceuticals be a waste of time?
Well I was only half joking about the waste of time thing. I just don't really think it's clinical experience. Oh well, I didn't take the job expecting to pad my AMCAS anyway.

Mr(s). Catalysk,

Can I PM you a question? I want to tell you what I do in my job at the nursing home and see if it's enough clinical for you. A friend of mine told me it's not =(

If you dont get in id be EXTREMELY surprised. You've shown plenty of commitment to understanding the profession - the nursing home volunteering I think is perfect. Just explain how it influenced you!! Do the same for the pharm tech job - it gave you basic knowledge of drug types. Your stats are great - no problem there. As long as you don't have the personality of cardboard you should have no problem with an acceptance. Don't listen to all the downers on here...

PA generally requires 1000's of hours of clinical experience (For the M.S PA degree). Not the best advice to tell them to look at PA schools when your comment is that they don't have enough clinical experience.

this post is almost like saying:

- hey guys, i have a 4.0 sGPA, and a 45 mcat, and I'm really nervous I won't get in anywhere, what are my chances?

unless your mcat breakdown of 31 is a (15, 1, 15), or you have a personality of a rock (for you interview), I wouldn't worry about anything!