This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheStallion16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
White Male
Indiana resident, temporary FL resident for tuition purposes
3.923 GPA
504 MCAT (67th percentile)- 124/125/127/128

I realize my MCAT is on the low end for MD. I'm applying anyway because the rest of my app is very solid. If I don't get in this time around I will retake the MCAT and apply again next cycle. I'm committed to this career path.

EC's:
3000+ hours of a Division 1 sport, plus many NCAA accolades that go along with it (including team captain)
550 hours of service in support of a children's hospital in an important leadership position within my universities largest philanthropy organization on campus
75-100 hours of physician shadowing in OR/clinic
400 hours of clinical research during a summer internship that I'm currently doing at a very highly esteemed medical center in a different state - will have a publication come out of it eventually, but unfortunately not before I apply

6 very solid LOR's, and what I believe is a very good PS.

School List - 15 total schools

Indiana
All FL Schools (UF, FSU, UCF, USF, FAU, FIU)
WVU
Eastern Virginia
VCU
Creighton
Duke (put this on my app to get verified before I knew my MCAT score, probably will not waste time completing a secondary if I even get one)
Medical College of Wisconsin
Louisville
Texas Tech (I have a connection there)

Should I add any others? I feel 15 is a good amount, especially with regards to the cost of applying and secondaries. I've considered possibly adding Wake Forest, GW, Tulane, and Loyola? Would any of those be worth the money?

I've ruled out Rosy Franklin, Drexel, New York, Loma Linda, Penn State, Quinnipac, Oakland, and WMU.

Would appreciate any input. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, do not send in the secondary for Duke. If you want to increase your chances for a MD admission then add back in Rosy Franklin, New York Medical College, Quinnipiac, Oakland and Western Michigan.

GW gets so many applications that I don't think they'd be worth your money. Loyola might be, they like service to the community so if you apply definitely talk about your service in the secondary. I can't speak for Tulane, but I do think they get a ton of applications as well. Wake Forest might be a good target, see how many OOS people matriculated last year before you apply and keep in mind that the school is a little more difficult to get to for an interview (might cost more than some of the other schools on your list).

I agree with @Faha, you might want to consider adding back NYMC, Rosy Franklin, and those schools if you want to assure your chances at an MD acceptance.

Also, you might want to consider removing WVU, they interview a lot of OOS but almost everyone gets waitlisted if you're OOS. They might not be worth your time or money.

Finally, if you want to be a doctor, it would be worth your time and money to apply to a few DO schools as well.

Those 550 hours in an important leadership position " in support of a children's hospital"-did they involve actual interacting with sick kids and their parents or was it fund raising etc? Why did you rule out Rosy,Drexel etc.? Do you have the MSAR? Did you use it to develop your list? Just as a point of comparison your 505~ 28 on the old scale and that's well below the 31 that is usually mentioned as average for MD acceptances.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app