Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MD 3.92c 4.00s 519 MCAT- top tier schools?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by bahoovo, Aug 19, 2015.

1. bahoovo

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I have already posted here before, but I recently got my July MCAT scores which were much better than my July. I also have had to change my schools. Are my aspirations realistic? Should I apply to more "safety schools"?

GPA: 3.92c, 4.00s
    MCAT: MAY: 78-88th percentile overall- 509
    PS, BS, - 85-100%
    CARS - 53-68%
    Psych/Soc 61-76%

JULY: 519-overall- 98%
    PS- 132- 100%
    CARS-129-93%
    Bio/Biochem-129-93%
    Psych-129-93%

• Economics Major, Biology and Chemistry Minor
    • Kentucky Resident
    • Small Liberal Arts College in Kentucky
    • Pakistani Male, but born and raised in US
    • Senior in Undergrad
    • Both parents are doctors
    • Rhodes Scholar applicant. Already received university backing, waiting on potential interview invite. Trying to get Msc in Public Health so I can go into policy making after getting MD and practicing as a primary care physician for a few years.

EC's

• University of Kentucky Transplant Center- No publication yet, but working through summer. Fingers crossed!
    • Awards/Honor Societies-ODE (econ honor society), ODK (Leadership honor society), Rara Avis award (awarded to most distinguished Econ major in every class)
    • Taught a month long Freshman orientation course
    • Shadowed a physician in Cuba for a month (had special education visa. Legal I promise!)
    • Shadowing Oncologist
    • Put together a Hunger Banquet
    • Single handedly put together an International Minority Violence Seminar where hundreds of people attended, distinguished members of academia in various fields came from across the nation to speak.
    • Worked as a paid employee in Marketing Department of Rural Hospital. Got to shadow a lot of different specialities.
    • Data Analyst for international philanthropic organization that works to cure preventable eye disease. Have been to Ghana, Pakistan, Iraq to assist with eye camps
    • Raised $20,000 for Hazara people in Quetta, Pakistan.
    • Taught employees in how to use excel and word in a new hospital in Iraq that family started.
    • Worked with Lions Club international to set up an eye clinic in a rural village in Pakistan.
    • Capitan of DIII Collegiate tennis team
    • Youth Leader for an Iraqi Refugee Center of both Gulf Wars.
    • Rhodes Scholar Applicant
    I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to travel to over 25 different countries, sometimes being able to work in the healthcare system in these foreign nations. That is definitely the focus of my application and personal statement, and I hope this gives me a unique angle in this process.

LOR
    1: my pre-health committee letter. Applicants are rated 1-5, and thankfully I got a 5. 90% of our applicants get into medical school with a recommendation, (anything higher than a 3 rating). A 5 is pretty rare, and is usually given once every couple years. I'm really banking on this helping me out!
    2: President of World Sight Now, the international Eye Disease Organization I was data analyst for.
    3: Oncologist I shadowed.

School List

Duke
    Emory
    Harvard
    Indiana
    Georgia
    Miami
    Toledo
    Alabama
    Florida
    Kentucky
    Louisville
    North Carolina
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Wake Forrest
    Vandy

UPDATED:
    UK (in state)
    UofL (in state)
    Toledo
    Cincy
    Vandy
    Emory
    Duke
    Harvard
    Johns Hopkins
    Chicago
    Northwestern
    Case Western

Should I add or remove some schools? Thanks for the advice! Sorry for any grammar or spelling errors! My main concern is that I hope I'm not too late in the cycle, because I have not even submitted primaries to schools that were in the updated list.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. md-2020

md-2020 The Immaculate Catch
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You have a ton of state publics that won't give you a shot b/c you're OOS. Those would include: Indiana, Georgia, Toledo, Alabama, Florida, UNC, SC, Tennessee on your old list.

On your new list, all but UK+UL & maybe CWRU are long shots. Cincy and Toledo show Ohio bias. I'd add more low tier privates just to be safe, though your chances at UK and UL are excellent.

Top tiers are a reach for you, IMHO. 519 MCAT is nice but adcoms will consider the first attempt (~30 old) too. Your ECs are nothing special for those schools as well, unfortunately.

#2 md-2020, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    bahoovo likes this.
  4. bahoovo

2+ Year Member

thank you!

5. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Ditch all the useless state schools you are OOS for like md2020 said. Is that data analysis research? Everything else is looking good; but for research powerhouses you want solid research. How long have you been doing work in the Transplant Center?

Assuming you have research I am more optimistic than @md2020 about your chances for the big names. You have interesting experiences and it sounds like a fair amount of volunteering. Many top schools put alot more weight in the most recent score and even for the schools that average your score comes out to a 34. A 3.9/34 can still have a shot at top 20's.

You really don't need that many safeties. Kentucky is a lucky state; both UK and Louisville interview at least half their applicants.

Here is what I might look into

Miami
    Saint Louis
    Tulane
    Tufts
    Creighton
    Medical College Wisconsin
    Jefferson

Hofstra
    UVA(maybe)
    Ohio State(Maybe)
    Case Western
    Emory
    USC
    Rochester
    Mayo
    Einstein

NYU or Mt Sinai
    Northwestern or Pitt
    JHU or Harvard
    Duke
    Vanderbilt
    Cornell or Columbia
    UCSF(maybe) or Michigan

I tried to group these into tiers. The least competitive, middle tiers and the big names. Perhaps 3-4 of the lower tiers, 5 of the middle group and 6-8 of the last group would be a good way to go about it.

bahoovo likes this.
  6. bahoovo

2+ Year Member

very helpful. Much appreciated. I've been there for three months. Mostly data collection from a variety of sources and conducting regressional analysis looking at which variables pre-op and during surgery affected post-operative transplant failures and deaths. It's mostly my own project, focusing on socioeconomic factors, but I do have medical guidance from a physician when looking at blood test results, medications, etc.